• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Alerts about phone scams!

Lyne

Distinguished
HW Honey Bear
In the USA-

This hit the national news last night.... a phone call offering to add your number to a "do not call list"... BUT this is not legitimate! The official (real) Do Not Call List never makes phone calls!!

and again, on the news:
Never verbally say the word: YES to any telemarketer/phone call offering of any sort!!! Your recorded "yes" can be used to do further scams, including things you may be charged money for!

Please add to this thread (include your country, might help) other warnings.... Hope this thread is ok to have here... I feel these things need publicity to protect ourselves!

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Exactly! That's what my answer machine is for, because most scammers, who aren't automated calls, will NOT leave a message.

McGyver

Energetic
Yeah, the scammers have been stepping up their game.
People have been getting wise to IRS and Grandparents scams so they are trying new twists...
One of the big new scams is posing as a survey group seeking opinions on political happenings... Any "Yes" answer runs the risk of being used against you... In several cases, victims didn't even say "yes" to anything, yet somehow they were still signed up for whatever... Currently, just as in the 90s the scam is "Slamming", where they sign you up for some third party phone service... But it can be utilities like gas or power too...
They are also posing as charities, animal adoption centers and solar installation services offering free estimates.
In a few cases scammers posed as wrong numbers looking for a loved one in some emergency or dire situation or a doctor's office desperately trying to reach a fictitious patient, to get considerate or nice people to answer the phone.
The interesting thing is those cases they'll actually leave a message on your machine, in hopes they'll get a call back by someone trying to inform them they have the wrong number...
If you’re concerned that scammers might put unauthorized charges on your phone bill, you should be able to contact your provider to have a third party billing block put on your account.
That applies to mobile phone accounts, too.
I believe the most recent statistics for the total number of phone scams in play was a 400% increase over 2015...
Assorted scams have become a billion dollar industry... Estimates range 7-10 billion for phone/computer fraud in 2016 and general financial fraud linked to connected scams at 30 - 40 billion.
The CFPB has been working overtime shutting down domestic scammers, but new ones pop up as fast as they are taken down or exposed.

McGyver

Energetic
If anyone is interested, there is a website called "Consumerist"... It is a not-for-profit site by the same people who publish Consumer Reports magazine... They feature articles and consumer oriented news stories that cover a broad range of topics like recalls on dangerous product and contaminated foods (or in the case of certain pet food recently, lethal*), consumer fraud warnings, changes to consumer laws (like yesterday's roll back of Net Neutrality allowing ISPs to sell certain types of your data), store closings and bankruptcies, announcements about class action lawsuit judgments and government fines against corporate shenanigans and much more.
I would have included a link, but I'm not sure if that is okay with HW's TOS, but it's super simple to google...
I highly recommend it, even if you don't give a hoot about consumer rights, if only for the coverage that generally gets overlook or under reported elsewhere...
Just browsing the last two weeks worth of pages is enough to blow most people's minds with the amount of nonsense that goes on out there.

Doodle Designs

Eager
Contributing Artist
Although phone scams are not a laughing matter, when I get one I like to play along as if I didn't know that it's a scam. I figure, as long as I'm tying up their time, they're not scamming someone else. Besides, I get a good laugh out of it, at their expense. :devil"

After one such call I sent this email to family and friends:

Title: I won!

That's right folks! I, Beth, won the Publishers Clearinghouse Sweepstakes! Whoo-hoo!!!

I won $750,000 and a 2016 Mercedes-Benz!

And I never even entered the contest!

The folks at Publishers Clearinghouse were so eager to get my prizes to me that they called me bright and early this morning at 7:45 AM. Those gosh darn PCH employees must be so dedicated that they go to work early!

Mr. Jack Freeman informed me that I was a winner! He then gave me a lot of very important information and verification numbers that I had to write down so that when the prize van, paparazzi, and cameras rolled up, they could be sure they were giving the prizes to the right person. How considerate of them to make sure that none of my shifty neighbors would try to steal my prizes away from me! They informed me that their representative would be wearing a white jacket and tie - I guess they wanted to make sure that I wouldn't confuse their man with the balloons and giant check with someone else's man with balloons and a giant check.

Poor Mr. Freeman! He had to put up with having to repeat nearly everything he said to me at least twice because I just had such a gosh darn hard time understanding his cute, Jamaican accent! And then he had to put up with me accusing him of trying to perpetuate a scam on me! He was quick to assure me that he was a God fearing man and swore to me on Jesus that this was all on the up-and-up (after I explained to him what "perpetrate" meant, of course).

To convince me of his legitimacy, he even had his supervisor talk to me. Mr. John Washington assured me that everything was indeed true and that my prizes would be delivered to me within the hour. All I had to do was go to the nearest Wal-Mart and wire him $250, which the greedy and pesky American Government insisted on charging for tax purposes BEFORE I could receive my prizes. Golly gee, what a hassle! But I guess it's more than worth the measly $250 to get that $750,000 and new car, right? And guess what? Mr. Washington had a Jamaican accent, just like Mr. Freeman did! I guess no one could accuse PCH of not exhibiting fair hiring practices!

He said that he'd wait on the line while I drove to Wal-Mart. When I explained that I lived in a very small town and the nearest Wal-Mart was an hour drive away, he hesitated a moment, but then asked me if there might be a Western Union that was closer. I happily informed him that, yes indeed, there was one not even 5 minutes from me! So he repeated that he'd remain on the line while I went to Western Union and wired the money.

I am so ashamed to admit that I was still having trust issues with Mr. Washington - I mean, with a name like Washington, how could I doubt him? But there you have it, I was still uncertain about the veracity of both Mr. Freeman and Mr. Washington. ( I had to explain "veracity" too.) So I told him that if he would call the local sheriff's office and have them call me to verify that the call was really from PCH, then I would believe it. So he had me give him the sheriff's phone number, hung up, and I then impatiently waited for the call. Lo and behold, within just a few minutes the phone rang! The voice on the other end informed me that they were calling from the sheriff's office (funny how the sheriff's office phone caller ID shows as "unknown".) They told me that the call from PCH was legitimate! Oh, happy days! I then shared a good laugh with the deputy about how he, too, coincidentally was originally from Jamaica! You just couldn't miss that distinctive accent!

So, of course I profusely apologized to Mr. Washington for the silly misunderstanding, dashed off to the Western Union, wired off the $250, hurried home to put on my best outfit and makeup, and am now excitedly waiting by my window, peering out in anticipation of the prize van, balloons, giant check, and Mercedes-Benz to all come rolling up to my door!

*** NOT! ***

Beth

P.S. - Once I cash my giant $750,000 check, I plan on giving you $10,000! I want those close to me to share in my great fortune and happiness! All you have to do is wire me $250 to cover the taxes. Darn those greedy IRS agents!

Reactions: 3WC