• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

A modeling question for Chris...

eclark1894

Visionary
I swear Chris, I'm trying, but I'm having trouble making seams and hems. I watched you model the outfit for Anime Dawn, so I tried to follow on this swimsuit I'm making, but it looks like crap. What am I doing wrong?

seam.png

Chris

HW3D President
Staff member
Co-Founder
Yeah this is looking good. I just add in more rows of geometry to retain the edges better when it's smoothed.

So this is a good start. Just bevel the segment rows to show detail better. Does that make sense?

I might need to show you a tighter image to see that I added in more segmented rows to retain the edges.

AnimeDawn47.JPG
AnimeDawn48.JPG
AnimeDawn50.JPG
AnimeDawn60.JPG

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
One thing I will add, that's not entirely obvious, Earl.........it's imperative that you smooth at least one more time after extruding your edgings or they will look pretty rough and boxy. A final smooth really helps to give them a finished look.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Just looking at your images Chris you indent an edge and insert more edges around it to maintain the shape with smoothing which is similar to what I do but your work looks way better.

Also noticed that you have below the waist and the breasts two areas where the edges are closer together is that to help maintain the shape of the outfit?

Chris

HW3D President
Staff member
Co-Founder
Just looking at your images Chris you indent an edge and insert more edges around it to maintain the shape with smoothing which is similar to what I do but your work looks way better.

Also noticed that you have below the waist and the breasts two areas where the edges are closer together is that to help maintain the shape of the outfit?

Those added edges are put in the mesh so that I can also create the alternative top and bottom piece and remove the center. Or I can morph in the center section and still leave a nice edge piece.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Cool...thanks for the info! That's a very neat trick to remember... a bit like using polygroups in Zbrush so you can hide things while morphing.

eclark1894

Visionary
Those added edges are put in the mesh so that I can also create the alternative top and bottom piece and remove the center. Or I can morph in the center section and still leave a nice edge piece.
Yeah I thought about doing that, but don't think I'm ready to be that cute yet.:)

Still working on the seams.

seam.png

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
I've got an e book which talks about topology I'll try and dig out the name of it for you.

eclark1894

Visionary
Thanks, Pen. I got a couple of responses from Caisson and Teyon earlier today at the SM forum as well. I made a couple changes to the suit already because of it.

Body topo.png

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Oh, I think someone recommended that book on the SM Poser forum. I'll have to check that out. ;)

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
It's a very good book for anyone who's interested in going into the industry as he also discusses how it works in the first couple of chapters. He's worked in the industry and also taught. I'm currently rereading it in Kindle and taking notes by highlighting it this time round.