• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Which DS shaders are okay to use in products?

tparo

Engaged
QAV-BEE
Using the Iray base is fine, but I'm not sure about using the presets such as Aluminium etc. You could always send a note to Daz's CS it probably a question they get quite a bit.

tparo

Engaged
QAV-BEE
As far as I'm aware again using the base or creating your own is fine but using already created presets is possibly not allowed as you are using someones elses work and possibly textures. Its always best to check yourself.

sapat

Brilliant
QAV-BEE
I've got several products in 3dl and iray that have at the top of the surface settings things like 'metal', 'wood', 'plastic', and so on. I assumed they were all based on DS presets and then tweaked by the creator, or just using the preset as is. Or maybe the vendor makes their own presetss and just saves them for future use, so they don't have to create their unique preset each time?? Interesting topic though. I'd be curious to find the answer.

tparo

Engaged
QAV-BEE
I've got several products in 3dl and iray that have at the top of the surface settings things like 'metal', 'wood', 'plastic', and so on. I assumed they were all based on DS presets and then tweaked by the creator, or just using the preset as is. Or maybe the vendor makes their own presetss and just saves them for future use, so they don't have to create their unique preset each time?? Interesting topic though. I'd be curious to find the answer.

They will be custom shaders created by the vendor, not merely a preset of the base shader.
One problem is too many people get Shader and Shader preset mixed up, and the term Shader is often used to refer to a preset.

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Is it possible to create the catagories like specular and that?

NapalmArsenal

Distinguished
Contributing Artist
What are you trying to do with specular Janet?

The cool thing about Daz is that it allows you to hone in on one specific texture material. For example, the tulip textures I did. There are about 100 different texture maps for the Poser version, but only like 30 for the Daz version because it allows me to save out only the transmap and apply it to any texture. You can do that for the specular setting also. So, you just have to make sure you click off all the boxes in the materials settings and leave only the specific material you are wanting to save.

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
No I was asking in general. Wondering how they came up with the uber and other presets.

tparo

Engaged
QAV-BEE
Presets are just that, Shader settings based on the base Shader. Sometimes they are just settings often they use textures as well. The constant referal of shader presets as shaders is confusing people.
I wouldn't know where to start to create a Shader base, I believe it can be done in DS using shader mixer/builder not completly sure.

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
You can purchase shader presets called Merchant Recourses (MR's) that you can use in products, sometimes there are restrictions for example they may only let you use a couple of them in one product, or they'll get you to change it somewhat, you'll just need to use the licence.

esha

Admirable
Contributing Artist
Load the Uber shader and customize it by plugging in texture maps and adjusting the settings. That's the most comfortable way.
There are also some merchant resource shaders which you can use for products, one vendor that comes to mind is Oso.

tparo

Engaged
QAV-BEE
Oso's Blendy, Furry and Master Shaders are merchant resources not sure about his others, but it will be on the product page if it is.

DanaTA

Distinguished
Oso's Blendy, Furry and Master Shaders are merchant resources not sure about his others, but it will be on the product page if it is.

Some of them did not say that at first...not that I noticed, anyway. And I look for that info. I'm happy to find this out. I've had a few in my wishlist. Thanks.

Oh, I think I was seeing his stuff on ShareCG...those did not say merchant resources.

Dana

Lissa_xyz

I break polygons.
No I was asking in general. Wondering how they came up with the uber and other presets.
They didn't actually come up with it, as in out of thin air. It's just a method of using PBR texturing (physically based rendering) within daz studio. PBR isn't a studio specific thing. You can actually open up the full iray shader network in shader mixer to see how it was assembled. It all starts from a basic utility > user parameters node from the brickyard and expanded to the massive noodle frenzy that is the iray shader. Obviously there are things behind the scenes as far as studio knowing how to interpret things that allow the bricks to actually work. This is just a look at what the noodle network looks like for the full iray base.

(These are thumbnails, click them for larger versions)

shader_defaultnode.JPG iray_noodlenetwork.JPG