• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

OMG, Allegorithmic Substance was acquired by Adobe!

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I'm not familiar with Allegorithmic Substance. Is it mostly for use with gaming characters?

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
It's used everywhere - in professional 3D modeling applications, and even in iClone 6 and 7.

Miss B

CV-BEE
OK, I just hadn't heard of it before, so was wondering if it was anything like Substance Painter.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Both "Substance Painter" and "Substance Designer" are applications dedicated to the creation of Substance materials. They were both programs from Allegorithmic, which was now acquired by Adobe. That's a major shift in the world of digital 3D art. The march of the larger corporations eating out the smaller companies continues.

Dreamer

Dream Weaver Designs
Damn, I was hoping to be able to save up and get Painter at some point as it was one of the few that still had a perpetual license. If Adobe do away with that I'll not be getting it :(

Miss B

CV-BEE
I have no idea if Adobe will do that, eventually, but since all their other software is subscription only, it wouldn't surprise me.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I also have a perpetual license for my copy of Painter, but it doesn't allow any updates. And what's worse - I have paid for the "Indy license", but Allegorithmic converted it to a subscription model without my permission. I do not believe that was even legal, since they have revoked my ownership right I had already paid for. Updates are only possible if you pay monthly for the subscription. Adobe will only perpetuate this practice, since they were the first ones to come up with this idea.

Dreamer

Dream Weaver Designs
@Ken1171 that is what I am afraid of and by the time I have the coin to get it Adobe will have got rid of the perpetual license. I am not worried about updates so much as just having something decent that doesn't need an internet conection to do a little bit of texturing work in as somethings just do not work well painted flat then wrapped round 3D

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
@Ken1171 that is what I am afraid of and by the time I have the coin to get it Adobe will have got rid of the perpetual license. I am not worried about updates so much as just having something decent that doesn't need an internet conection to do a little bit of texturing work in as somethings just do not work well painted flat then wrapped round 3D

Let me give an example of why updates somehow started to matter with Painter. My version takes HOURS to bake layer materials together into a 4K texture, while the newer versions have sped that up many times fold with GPU acceleration. Baking textures is something I do quite often, so this is quite relevant to me, but I can't have it because the "Indy" license I had already paid for was terminated by Allegorithmic when they decided to push the subscription model. For the record, the Indy license allowed updates, so I was supposed to be eligible because I've paid for it.

Like I've mentioned above, it was Adobe who originally came up with the subscription model, so now things are guaranteed to remain like that for the foreseeable future.

Dreamer

Dream Weaver Designs
I can see how that would cause you problems, maynot be so big a problem for me. At least not right now, ah well I guess its now a game of wait and see

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I just expect Adobe to perpetuate the subscription model plague, since they were the ones who came up with that idea to start with.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
People can buy them at Steam, but who knows if Adobe won't make them subscription-only, like they did with Photoshop and all of their products?

parkdalegardener

Adventurous
I spent a lot of money on Designer and Painter. Heck Poser even has a node setup for Substance materials. Now that Adobe is in the mix. I expect fewer updates and more cost to get them. Like my Creative Suite of products. Doomed to live a long time at an old version. Monthly or yearly subscriptions in perpetuity is not within my means or my desire.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
At least Adobe claims they will keep the same dev team working on Substance, so maybe they will keep updating it as often as before - we will have to wait and see. Adobe has obviously acquired Allegorithmic Substance for some reason we don't know about [yet]. They must have some plan for it.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Oh I don't know that we'll ever know why they acquired it. All these years later, and I'm still annoyed they acquired Macromedia and all it's products, which I still often use now-a-days. No explanation, but fairly obvious they wanted a competitor not to be a competitor anymore.

carmen indorato

Extraordinary
At least Adobe claims they will keep the same dev team working on Substance, so maybe they will keep updating it as often as before - we will have to wait and see. Adobe has obviously acquired Allegorithmic Substance for some reason we don't know about [yet]. They must have some plan for it.
Yeah the same damn plans they had for Freehand and other apps they bought gutted to reapply to their pilot apps and removed from the market leaving long time users in the lurch.
I got their last complete suite as a birthday gift about 9 years ago when i bought my first Apple MacBook Pro laptop. Now that is dying I am not sure the suite or any of my other apps will work in the newer OS already built into any new Mac I buy to replace it. Like i said elsewhere forced obsolescence. Because Adobe makes "INDUSTRY STANDARD" Vector, raster etc Aps, and because the industry complacently did nothing about it, they got away with their grab on this monthly rental schtick of their apps. I am glad I no longer work in the industry and if I can no longer use their creative suite on newer Macs I will get the next nearest similar apps from someone else and screw Adobe. I was glad to hear many companies are doing away with Flash use especially on the web services (though I read somewhere Adobe is involved in that dust up and not sure why).