• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Anyone Seen The Misty Green Sky?

Nod

Adventurous
Anyone here seen The Misty Green Sky? It caught my eye purely because it's obviously using Daz characters and other Daz/Poser figures. It looks like it might have been created in Daz Studio, purely due to the lighting style and the fact that a lot of the items look like they came from ShareCG.
Other than that, it's not very good.

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
I found it started to watch it but turned it off after 10 minutes. That Vickie walk is awful. Yah the reviewers on Amazon sure weren't nice.

Hornet3d

Wise
I found it started to watch it but turned it off after 10 minutes. That Vickie walk is awful. Yah the reviewers on Amazon sure weren't nice.

Well I liked the bit with Paddington Bear just before the animation started. I have watched the trailer and the first 10 minutes or so and came to the conclusion that a lot depends on your viewpoint. It is no Disney epic but from someone with enough knowledge to understand the effort that must have gone into this it is quite an accomplishment. I will probably watch the whole animation when I have time if only to see so much of the content I have in my runtime actually being used. If your are looking for entertainment, based on what I have seen so far I can see why some would only give one or two stars. If you are looking with interest at what is now capable with software that is in reach of the average hobbyist this is pretty darn good and worth a five in my book.

The Vickie walk is bad but I am left wondering if this is due lack of talent or a limitation of the model. The lighting looks good, I struggle to get the lighting right on single frame renders so I am impressed with the lighting in the animation.

Nod

Adventurous
Well I liked the bit with Paddington Bear just before the animation started. I have watched the trailer and the first 10 minutes or so and came to the conclusion that a lot depends on your viewpoint. It is no Disney epic but from someone with enough knowledge to understand the effort that must have gone into this it is quite an accomplishment. I will probably watch the whole animation when I have time if only to see so much of the content I have in my runtime actually being used. If your are looking for entertainment, based on what I have seen so far I can see why some would only give one or two stars. If you are looking with interest at what is now capable with software that is in reach of the average hobbyist this is pretty darn good and worth a five in my book.

The Vickie walk is bad but I am left wondering if this is due lack of talent or a limitation of the model. The lighting looks good, I struggle to get the lighting right on single frame renders so I am impressed with the lighting in the animation.

Knowing the software and the effort involved, is why I gave it 2/10, instead of 1, after watching it. I was going to give it three stars, but decided that it would make folk think that the film was better than it was. To me, it's an animated version of all those naked Vicky with a sword pictures, which give Poser and Daz Studio a bad name. There's lots of gratuitous footage of the heroine floating around naked with her breasts heaving. Also, a lot of it looks like it was just rendered and pasted in no particular order.

Nod

Adventurous
Yah I was actually impressed with the amount of work that went into it. Also impressive they got it on Amazon.

It seems that it's pretty easy to get stuff onto Amazon these days. Especially if you're looking for something to watch. There's about 400 web series cluttering up their dodgy search engine. A lot of those having 5 stars, as it's clearly been rated by friends and family, or the cast and crew themselves. (They really should change their names if they're going to review their own stuff.)

Riccardo

Adventurous
Maybe I will never be able to do better, or even just as much... but after seeing its trailer and comments, I am not looking forward to see "The Misty Green Sky". :D
So, thinking of what can be done with the affordable programs we can have at home, I had to treat me a bit by watching again "Rosa" by Jesus Orellana. Made in Daz Studio and Blender, its quality is sliiiiightly higher... ;)
In case someone doesn't know it yet: Rosa - BlenderNation

Hornet3d

Wise
Maybe I will never be able to do better, or even just as much... but after seeing its trailer and comments, I am not looking forward to see "The Misty Green Sky". :D
So, thinking of what can be done with the affordable programs we can have at home, I had to treat me a bit by watching again "Rosa" by Jesus Orellana. Made in Daz Studio and Blender, its quality is sliiiiightly higher... ;)

Wow, that is interesting, thank you for the link. It is clearly at a different level of presentation than The Misty Green Sky and I think is a great example of what is available to the animator using free programs. It would be interesting to see interviews with both teams to see what contributed to the difference be it hardware, software, resources or even artistic style.

Nod

Adventurous

Have you watched Big Buck Bunny, which was done in Blender? It's infinitely better. It's just like watching a Pixar film.

Nod

Adventurous
Wow, that is interesting, thank you for the link. It is clearly at a different level of presentation than The Misty Green Sky and I think is a great example of what is available to the animator using free programs. It would be interesting to see interviews with both teams to see what contributed to the difference be it hardware, software, resources or even artistic style.

I think talent was the main contributor missing in the case of Misty Green Sky. The effort was certainly there though.
Speaking of skills, has anyone seen Pigeon Impossible? I think the chap that did this got head hunted by Pixar when they saw it.

Riccardo

Adventurous
Have you watched Big Buck Bunny, which was done in Blender? It's infinitely better. It's just like watching a Pixar film.
Yes, I know the Blender Open Movies. Most of them are impressive. My favourite is the masterpiece called "Sintel".
Open Projects on Blender Cloud
If you liked "Pigeon: Impossible", @Nod , you wìll probably like "Agent 327" too ;-)

Anyway, the sense of my post was different.
As far as I know, Blender Open Movies are made to show off Blender's ability to compete with the most used programs in the animation field. They are funded, and have a fair group of artists working on them.

"The Misty Green Sky" and "Rosa" play in a different category. They are the effort of few people, using mainly DS or Poser with 3D models bought on the online stores.
I respect the effort put in "The Misty Green Sky", but it gets very limited results and I'm surprised that it is a product made for selling.

I understand that "Rosa" was made by Jesus Orellana alone (or with just a little help from his friends ;-)), on a Mac he had at home, using Daz Studio with 3D models from the stores, and Blender for modifications, special effects and all. If this is true, I think Orellana's final result is amazing.

The difference must be the talent of the artists involved.
So, It is nice to know that the programs we use, when we use them well, can achieve good quality.