• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

WIP: Medieval Finery for Harry

What should this product be called?

• The Joust for the Hivewire Horse

• Medieval Finery for the Hivewire Horse

• Tournament Wear for the Hivewire Horse

• Barding for the Hivewire Horse

• The Tournament for the Hivewire Horse

• Other. . . (add a comment below)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
The last few weeks haven't been as productive as I would have liked, partially because of some file system issues that are effecting my current works in progress, but also because I was trying to force myself into a narrow focus, and it's usually better for me to have several things going on. The point, I went back and found an idea I had played with a little, but not really done anything with, started refining it, and realized that I was going to add another WIP to my list :eek:

Now I know in general horse armor is called barding, I'm not really sure if that applies to the long sort of drape I have going on here, but I'm going to use that for the moment. If you look up jousting you'll see that there are lots of different styles of barding used. I intend to do two of those styles, the one pictures above, and another where the barding is in two parts, one part in front of, and one part behind the saddle.

Both sets of the main barding with be dynamic. Which technically will make it Poser only, but for those who have DynCreator for DS I think it will work just fine. Also since I've been working on some scripts for my dynamic dresses that set speed up setting up cloth sims a lot, and they will be great for a dynamic outfit for Harry, so that it will auto unclick all the parts of the neck and tail that it doesn't need to collide against.

The faceplate is actually just a regular old prop. I'll add in some morphs for different breeds as needed, but since that part of Harry's face doesn't really move, it can just be parented to the head, and it works great.

I think it even works fine with or without the unicorn horn without any adjustments, although I'd like other opinions on that.

That was just a test texture by the way. The faceplate is just using one of the metal textures that comes with Poser, as for the rest of the barding, I was mostly trying to see if I had the heraldry in the right place. It does need to be much larger and I didn't choose the best graphic to test with (that would be King John's coat of arms if your wondering). I think I've set up my UVs/templates smartly so that for instance it will be easy to have something like the French Fleur de Lies over the entire drape while also having the option for mostly a solid color with just the heraldry when that seems more appropriate.

Now for the question. I've got a lot of ideas for a name for this, and I'm wondering what people thing would be best.

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
Thanks. It's fun to work on, and yes, we don't really have anything quite like it for Harry.
Here's a quick render of the split barding. This is two separate props for the front and back, and can be easier to use with the classic saddle (the other version actually works pretty well if you have a ridder on the saddle, but you might have to do some morph work). The texture is again just a quick test, the image I grabbed doesn't tile correctly.

I think I'll also do matching textures for the blanket part of the saddle.

carmen indorato

Extraordinary
Thanks. It's fun to work on, and yes, we don't really have anything quite like it for Harry.
Here's a quick render of the split barding. This is two separate props for the front and back, and can be easier to use with the classic saddle (the other version actually works pretty well if you have a ridder on the saddle, but you might have to do some morph work). The texture is again just a quick test, the image I grabbed doesn't tile correctly.

I think I'll also do matching textures for the blanket part of the saddle.
love these. certainly worth getting dne and it looks good so far. as far as the saddle and other tack would be best to either create a realistic barding rig from referenced images because of the needs of the joust and battle the armored knights needed a saddle with a high cantel to avoid being knocked off their horses when fighting/jousting. Since you are using a fantasy take-off of Harry in the images it would be just as nice creating an all fantasy saddle and reins rig. I can see both offered and used.
Also they used iron ring armoring on these corsairs. They were huge animals so much bigger than the men riding them in proportion to hold up under the added weight of the armor. But ring armor in total or in part in the most vulnerable parts of the horse most likely to down the rider and beast was essential. Again, using the references out there would be helpful.
Just my two.5 cents here. :)

A thought years ago some at Glass Menagerie created a nice barding set for the Heavy Horse/P4 horse rigs and they included head plumes as well for the horse's mask. May want to check it out if the site is still around. I loved those plumes and would be way cool using such for fantasy imagery or in a Harry and Dawn as Centaur set (which I would Love to see sometime!).

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I like "Barding" as the name but chose "Medieval Finery" because I don't know if alot of people will know what barding is :p (and technically Barding is the armour, the blanket coverings is called caparisons )

Having a matching saddle blanket would be nice but maybe a mask so that you can't see it would be a good option too?)

(I think I'll have fun texturing this if you put it out :p)

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
I like them both, but I really like the split version :D

Thanks. Originally I didn't like the split version, but it's growing on me.

as far as the saddle and other tack would be best to either create a realistic barding rig from referenced images because of the needs of the joust and battle the armored knights needed a saddle with a high cantel to avoid being knocked off their horses when fighting/jousting.

Do you have any example images of what you mean? From the images I've seen, you can barely see the saddle (at least with a ridder on top). Like here
That being said, I don't think I'm quite good enough to make and rid a saddle and bridal at this time, which is why I was going to stick with the classic tack. But maybe I could make a prop to make the classic tack look more like what you meant if I could see it.

Also they used iron ring armoring on these corsairs. They were huge animals so much bigger than the men riding them in proportion to hold up under the added weight of the armor. But ring armor in total or in part in the most vulnerable parts of the horse most likely to down the rider and beast was essential. Again, using the references out there would be helpful.

There are definitely a many different types of barding out there. I'm going for the cloth look. like above, although since I don't like the look of the head sock, I'm doing armor for the head, and I'm going to see if I can make some good interlocking plate for the neck as well.

A thought years ago some at Glass Menagerie created a nice barding set for the Heavy Horse/P4 horse rigs and they included head plumes as well for the horse's mask.

Hmm, plumes are an idea. Although I doubt I could do anything better than Regalia for Flower Fairy Outfit for Dawn - A NapalmArsenal 3D Creation

thy look great hum thy would look great in the store and im sure harry would love something new to wear x

Thanks. Yes, Harry needs some new duds.

I like "Barding" as the name but chose "Medieval Finery" because I don't know if alot of people will know what barding is :p (and technically Barding is the armour, the blanket coverings is called caparisons )

Yeah I thought about barding, but I felt like that should be more of a hard armor set (and maybe some day way down the road I'll feel gutsy enough to tackle that). Also I have this view in my head of a elf maidens with Harry, and at that point it fees less armor like.

Having a matching saddle blanket would be nice but maybe a mask so that you can't see it would be a good option too?)

(I think I'll have fun texturing this if you put it out :p)

I've only looked at the templates for the classic tack at this point, but it looks like both a mask and matching blanket textures would be easy to make, so I'll probably have both. And I'm hoping other people will have fun texturing this. I've actually tried to set it up to be easy to do so. There's a not so obvious material zone which I placed so that if instead of a pattern you want just a coat of arms, it's easy to place.

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I think our classic saddle is the closest we can get without making a new one, but I think this is the type that Carmen meant

how pretty is this armor :D

I have a folder of horse barding (and some random tack I liked because I didn't want to make a new folder and it didn't fit with my horse one :)) on my Pinterest if you'd like some inspiration :D Horse Barding

CWRW

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
I really like what you are doing here GG. I think it has unlimited possibilities- not just "barding" or medieval finery- this also has a huge range of options using textures (using cool trans maps too!) to be so many things and a lot of cool fantasy looks as well. Knowing what went into rigging both the classic and western tack I think you are smart to have it work with the classic tack. People get hung up too much on what the classic tack isn't IMO. With some creativity in add on textures too for the classic tack I think we can achieve something very close to a medieval look without having to totally reinvent the wheel as such. As well as lots of other real and fantasy looks as well!

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
I think our classic saddle is the closest we can get without making a new one, but I think this is the type that Carmen meant

Thanks for the picture. I might be able to do something to get a similar look just by adding some props to parent to the saddle. After all looking at the parts that are the most different they are meant to be rigged and not move. I haven't looked at the Pintrest stuff, because Pinterest frightens me.

I really like what you are doing here GG. I think it has unlimited possibilities- not just "barding" or medieval finery- this also has a huge range of options using textures (using cool trans maps too!)

Yes, I think some good trans maps could do a lot of cool things. I've tried to keep the bottom edges fairly straight to make it easier for making trans maps because I think you could give it lots of fun shapes for the borders.

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
LOL Pinterest is nothing to be scared of. You don't have to make your folders public.
I love using it like a bookmark, its useful when looking the internet and "bookmarking" a photo you like or one that might be a good reference or recipes you might want to try.
Great source of inspiration (unless that's what your scared of, bookmarking all the things you want to try and realize there's not enough time in the world :p)

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
Thanks for encouragement everyone. I've been playing around the last couple days with some alternate looks, as well as possible other parts to the armor to add in. What I've realized, is what I've got so far is what I can do well at the moment. For instance I made a good effort at some armor for his neck, but it's just not as good as I'd like it to be, and I'm not good enough at rigging to do it right at the moment.

So I'm going to keep this a set of dynamics. I am though going to play around with adding some pennants to the reins. I'm not sure how well the cloth room will handle that however, as I've already noticed some strangeness when dealing with the saddle in the cloth room, which I think has to do with the fact that the saddle has bones with no geometry so that it can conform with Harry. So I'll have to see what happens if I try and drape some stuff off the reins.

carmen indorato

Extraordinary
Hi
Sorry I didn't get back sooner but the darn bot never calls me back and I forget to look at my messages here.
OK here are a few of the Jousting saddles I have included a few non medieval versions to show the cultural changes from roman to turkis/arab as well as a variety of the medieval. All fun to look at. When I was in Florence I saw in a museum many versions of similar saddles both original and reproductions, all intriguing designs.

As far as the plumes look at those at GlassMenagerie(though I tried to google it and could not get it to come up anyone know if it is still up may not be spelling it right) or some of the MilHorse 1 fantasy tacs at Rendo which have plumes or feathers for the head and I great sets both of them..

barding saddle-1895-11234158.jpg

barding saddle-e_1947_1_8.jpg

jousting saddle-JoramSaddle-forMax-byArneKoeets_zps78dd69c4.jpg

jousting saddle-rene_saddle04.jpg

jousting saddle-MedRenSad2.JPG

View attachment 13630

moroccan saddle.jpg

romansaddle1.jpg

carmen indorato

Extraordinary
Thanks for encouragement everyone. I've been playing around the last couple days with some alternate looks, as well as possible other parts to the armor to add in. What I've realized, is what I've got so far is what I can do well at the moment. For instance I made a good effort at some armor for his neck, but it's just not as good as I'd like it to be, and I'm not good enough at rigging to do it right at the moment.

So I'm going to keep this a set of dynamics. I am though going to play around with adding some pennants to the reins. I'm not sure how well the cloth room will handle that however, as I've already noticed some strangeness when dealing with the saddle in the cloth room, which I think has to do with the fact that the saddle has bones with no geometry so that it can conform with Harry. So I'll have to see what happens if I try and drape some stuff off the reins.
Why not just leave the saddle as a smart prop with added stuff either as additional spart props or attached with morphs added? It can be more versatile wouldn't it?

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Since the Classic Tack isn't GG's product I don't think she would be able to change it to a smart prop (unless it was just for her personal use). She might be able to do additional smart props for it tho?

carmen indorato

Extraordinary
check these links too:
Heavy Horse Barding Pack I
The heavy horse pak is no longer available but the images might help.

Finally found the site:
3D Menagerie

The barding pak plumes stuff is in the Goodies section for you to look at.
I think DAZ also has a barding tac for the Charger and there is a fix to fit it to the MilHorse 1.
I knoq your project is for Harry but it is a good source to look at what has been done and these other items might be wanted by others here