• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Why doesn't Male clothign sell better?

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
Alright... so there is obviously a huge disparity in what's available for female figures versus male figures, as I posted earlier in this thread.

Are content creators are giving the people what they want? Are content creators following the money and creating what sells?

Because there is an enormous difference in what's available for women figures versus what's available for men.

Has a "self-fulfilling prophecy" been created by the notion the "all that sells is women's clothing"? Is this kind of what you meant, Traci?

View attachment 31686 View attachment 31688

DAZ's site (left) lets you sort by figure from the main store page, though the list possibly includes items that aren't clothing (props, etc.).
For Rendo's site (right) I entered "clothing" into the search field and clicked the dropdown under "Figure". And I should say that the Rendo results reflect Poser only.

Yes, James. It's a self fulfilling myth, created almost exclusively by the vendors themselves.

How many polo shirts have already been created for some male in Poser? And, when a vendor creates yet another one, they then whine when the customer just converted one of his existing 15 Polo shirts for the new model.

Vendors need to understand their market - there's no compelling reason to create yet another polo shirt for a new male model when there are 15 that can be fitted already. Now, armor? Yeah, that 1) doesn't convert well and 2) will ALWAYS sell. Oh, but it's harder to make a suit of armor!!!!!!!!!!

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
And, James, the disparity exists because of the "boobs" situation. Boob morphs for a new figure are unique to that figure. Even DAZ's autofit fits boobs like socks (hence the term boob socks) because of that uniqueness. That's why customers will purchase the same micro bikini for a female figure for the 99th time, even though the previous generation has the same one.

James R.

Busy Bee
That makes sense. Yeah, I guess it'd be far easier to create another bikini or similar that sells (to people who haven't seen the previous 400 bikinis I guess?!), rather than do something new.

As for my own artwork...I don't often buy clothing for my figures anymore, unless it's something I just don't have, or it's something I find to be new and interesting to me, or it seems to be an improvement over a previous item I have.

I used to just "collect" stuff, the way a lot of us do... "Oh WOW this is COOL! I must immediately impulsively buy it!" lol

I have too many gigabytes of random stuff that will never see the light of a render because of that. I do wish that converting clothes (for Poser) was far easier than it is...I can do it, but it's still too time consuming for me and a bit too trial-and-error to get the results I want. If Poser can ever make refitting "click and done", I'll be over the moon happy because I'll have enough clothing to last a long, long time.

James R.

Busy Bee
And, James, the disparity exists because of the "boobs" situation. Boob morphs for a new figure are unique to that figure. Even DAZ's autofit fits boobs like socks (hence the term boob socks) because of that uniqueness. That's why customers will purchase the same micro bikini for a female figure for the 99th time, even though the previous generation has the same one.

Darn those pesky boobs.

...Words I thought I'd never say... o_O

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
That makes sense. Yeah, I guess it'd be far easier to create another bikini or similar that sells (to people who haven't seen the previous 400 bikinis I guess?!), rather than do something new.

As for my own artwork...I don't often buy clothing for my figures anymore, unless it's something I just don't have, or it's something I find to be new and interesting to me, or it seems to be an improvement over a previous item I have.

I used to just "collect" stuff, the way a lot of us do... "Oh WOW this is COOL! I must immediately impulsively buy it!" lol

I have too many gigabytes of random stuff that will never see the light of a render because of that. I do wish that converting clothes (for Poser) was far easier than it is...I can do it, but it's still too time consuming for me and a bit too trial-and-error to get the results I want. If Poser can ever make refitting "click and done", I'll be over the moon happy because I'll have enough clothing to last a long, long time.

Hence my comment about a vendor understanding their market. Nothing will sell without a compelling reason for the customer to purchase it (I'm excluding the impulse buyers as DAZ has most of them captured).

But, no, there won't ever be a "click and done" solution because figures reflect modelling and rigging changes. The closest we will ever get to "click and done" is dynamic clothing and until it includes a "shrink or expand" option, even that is limited to figures with a typical body shape.

Willowisp

Adventurous
I wonder if a vendor such as Xurge3D, who is creating male and female clothing equally, is seeing the same difference in sales numbers? Unlike too many other vendors, the quality of their male items is just as good as their female. I know I've bought far more M4 outfits than V4 from them..

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
I wonder if a vendor such as Xurge3D, who is creating male and female clothing equally, is seeing the same difference in sales numbers? Unlike too many other vendors, the quality of their male items is just as good as their female. I know I've bought far more M4 outfits than V4 from them..

I would venture to say that his male items sell as well as female. But, that's because he knows his market - the outfits for the males are very unique, AND his model construction basically prevents an "easy" conversion. I know, because I tried to convert several of his male outfits from M4 to Dusk, and overall the conversions were an unmitigated disaster.

Pants in the crotch are always a complete failure, and shoes/boots fail conversion 100% of the time.

Again, it's the uniqueness of his models that make them a smart purchase and NOT a conversion.

Here's his Necromancer pants and boot conversion to Dusk:
DuskNecromancerConversion.jpg

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
About the self-fulfilling prophecy, I was suspecting male outfits wouldn't sell well, but still created 2 for Dusk anyway. I wanted to see it for myself instead of basing the decision on rumors. The results were the same nonetheless.

eclark1894

Visionary
I think another part of it is that people have "go-to" vendors that they buy stuff from. I figured Xurge would be the "go-to" vendor to buy stuff from for Dusk. Last time I went to his site though, to my knowledge he has NOTHING for Dusk. He has an outfit for Ryan 2 though, and Pauline.

I haven't figured out how to model armor yet, otherwise, I'd give it a go.

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
I think another part of it is that people have "go-to" vendors that they buy stuff from. I figured Xurge would be the "go-to" vendor to buy stuff from for Dusk. Last time I went to his site though, to my knowledge he has NOTHING for Dusk. He has an outfit for Ryan 2 though, and Pauline.

I haven't figured out how to model armor yet, otherwise, I'd give it a go.

Yes, I bought Necromancer and Paladin for M4 for the sole purpose of converting them during his last sale. I don't use M4 anymore at all and haven't for better than a year.

You can see, though, how the conversions went. Good thing they were both on sale.

Nod

Adventurous
I keep hearing that. And it really doesn't matter what figure you're talking about. So my question today is Why? Are vendors not making stuff for the male figures solely because they BELIEVE that male stuff doesn't sell or are they satisfied by sales data that it's true? Is there something they could do or make to change that dynamic or is it solely up to the customers to turn that around?

It's because there's too many folk doing Naked Vicky With A Sword.
What I found seedy, was Daz doing skimpy school clothing for (I think) their Teen Josie character. They never responded to my comment about her flashing her knickers in one of their promo pics.
And if you want a hand texturing, I'm good with crayons. :laugh:

Nod

Adventurous
I'd like to see someone do a male suit (single or double-breasted, doesn't matter) where the shoulders keep their shape and behave like shoulders on a real suit. I have one suit that does this... from the M3 era.

I think I have the same one. Is it by Uzilite?
That's what bugs me about most clothing, especially the male stuff, the shoulders look stupid.

James R.

Busy Bee
I think I have the same one. Is it by Uzilite?
That's what bugs me about most clothing, especially the male stuff, the shoulders look stupid.

I’m quite sure it’s not Uzilite. It isn’t listed as such in my Runtime anyway. It’s called New York something and just comes up as NYC suit. There are matching trousers as well as gloves, a scarf, and a hat (though I used a different hat here). I think it is from a Japanese site. Any readme file that came with it has been lost to the mists of time over the past decade.

I’m quite sure it’s not Uzilite. It isn’t listed as such in my Runtime anyway. It’s called New York something and just comes up as NYC suit. There are matching trousers as well as gloves, a scarf, and a hat (though I used a different hat here). I think it is from a Japanese site. Any readme file that came with it has been lost to the mists of time over the past decade.
Should be ISO's Casablanca Suit and you do have the New York textures version, though there are others as well, still available. Was a freebie group release by various Japanese creators.

spearcarrier

Admirable
I tried a few years ago to cheat things with dynamics. I put a shoulder pad shaped object under the shoulder for the suit I was using to collide with, then ran the sim. It was... close. But not quite. I got frustrated with it and never went back to it.

But this is the old suit for M3. Excuse the quickie render (I made everything around him invisible, so the lighting is a little weird.) I don't know enough about rigging to tell you how it's set up...morphs, I guess? The suit has some preset poses, like open, hand in pocket, etc.

But the shoulders don't deform when you move his arms, and the shoulders don't make him look like he's smuggling bowling balls.

View attachment 31578 View attachment 31579

Which suit IS this and can it still be found?? (Sees the reply. Oh!) So.. .can it still be found?

I should like to bring it into DAZ and see how it behaves with the new dForce.

eclark1894

Visionary
Which suit IS this and can it still be found?? (Sees the reply. Oh!) So.. .can it still be found?

I should like to bring it into DAZ and see how it behaves with the new dForce.
You're more likely to find the Holy Grail than that suit. I had it too for a hot minute. Along with a seriously hot French maid outfit for V3. Don't know what happened to either of them.