• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Where should Poser geometry files go? Best practices.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I am not a 100% sure about this one, but I think geometry origins change when we import OBJs into Poser. I often find myself having to reposition them with the Joint Editor. There were some cases where I have neatly placed the pivot points at specific places on the model in 3DSMAX, and when imported into Poser, they just move away. But again, this happens independently if I extract the geometry or not. That doesn't seem to be related to this.

kobaltkween

Brilliant
Contributing Artist
Okay, just for the record, I'm not purposely TRYING to cause a ruckus or controversy here, but when two authorities both have polar opposite ways of doing things, my curiosity kicks in and i can't help myself, but ask questions until I just either give up and say forget it, or, preferably, somebody gives me a satisfactory answer.

That little preamble said, the following is a snippet from a response by Teyon on the SM forum regarding the geometry folder and what goes in them. Also, again, just for the record, recall that i did ask that someone from Hivewire stick their head in and comment. I also do know that people are busy or just not interested in what they may consider trivial or even settled matters. However, the situation just seems so weird to me because I tend to like across the board standards, and i'm not seeing any here.

Teyon Global Moderator
a day ago

@eclark1849 Personal Opinion time:

Well let's look at it like this then, and I'm not trying to purposefully point fingers but if the App is doing it a certain way by default, why are brokerages making their vendors do something contrary? I get that Poser started off with things a certain way but time has passed and things have changed. Be open to change or be left behind is how I look at it. The fact that brokerages aren't willing to do that is part of the overarching problem I have with the Poser community and their reluctance to let go of old things (content in particular). Things change for a reason - usually out of need or to make things easier. Insisting things stay the same or supports old ideas is only going to hold up progress in the long run. This query about geometry placement being one of them.

That opinion aside, the question, I feel, is pointless right now. If you're a vendor and you're selling your content at a site and they have a particular way they want you to do it, you have to do it that way until you convince THEM there's a better way. It's messed up and tedious and not vendor friendly but it's your choice to sell there. There are other avenues for sale. Gumroad, Turbosquid, etc. Other Poser specific venues too I'm sure. So yeah, if you don't like the way something is done somewhere and that place is counting on your buck to stay alive, I say get a few like minded souls and voice your opinion to them. In terms of the application, it's pretty clear Poser doesn't care where the geometry is as long as the CR2 knows about it. So any restriction is coming from a broker and at that point you should ask them why.

End of personal opinion.

Okay, consider the question asked.... why?

I'm going to go out on a limb here. Teyon doesn't use much pre-made content, nor sell much content. I've followed Teyon on various sites, and he posts his own personal content almost exclusively. What he doesn't model from scratch himself, he sculpts. I don't think he has much Poser content that isn't his own. It makes sense that he'd find quick and easy access to OBJ files important. Most of what I've seen him post has either been sculpts from scratch or sculpts of SM content. He spends a lot more time in Zbrush than in his library.

I admire Teyon's expertise. But he's not the norm in the content community. People who collect hundreds, or even thousands, of products and freebies are. People who don't model and don't sculpt. People who don't know or care about resource files. People who tend to organize their collections as they see fit, not as thousands of different creators each saw fit.

One of the biggest critiques DS users have about Poser is the limits on its library structure. And one of the most consistent feature upgrades has been to make the library more flexible.

Most content collectors organize their libraries in a way that makes sense to them. People like Teyon can figure out how to find an OBJ in the Geometries folder. But your average content community user has no clue what's wrong when they tidy up their runtime, and their content stops working. Not only do they not know how to fix it, but they have access to a whole lot of content that will work.

I've lurked and participated in lots of threads on content organization over the years. I've never, ever seen anyone post, "I just leave everything where it installs." Everyone posting had their own way of organizing content. The only norm I've ever seen is to install to an empty runtime, then move the content where you want.

If your content uses absolute links to resources that live in a preset library, that content breaks as soon as your customers change so much as one letter of that default path.

I have to spend _hours_ fixing SM native content every time I upgrade. Figures, hair, clothes, the works. I have unzip and edit everything. The alternative is a mess in my runtime. Either way, it's a pain in my butt.

To be very honest, I even have an issue with HW figure morphs. I have to alter paths to morphs with each upgrade. Which also means I won't distribute any characters based on those morphs. I'd prefer not to rely solely on my own morphing skills. But even I used the HW default paths, others are just as likely to customize their library. I won't knowingly distribute content that brittle.

It's not just a matter of opinion. It's a matter of usage. Poser's default works if you're building a library of your own content, or editing a few items made by someone else. It entirely breaks if you're making content for someone who's organizing a huge preset library so it makes sense to them. Everyone in the community can reference resources you put in Geometries, Textures, or Morphs folders. Anyone who references resources in the presets library risks users thinking their content just doesn't work.

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
To be very honest, I even have an issue with HW figure morphs. I have to alter paths to morphs with each upgrade.

Yeah, this^^^.

When I buy characters here, I end up having to edit the files because I put morphs in a different place - a separate morph folder, but my own organization.

Also, I remove the "load dusk.pmd" readscript out of each file because I save a fully morphed Dusk in my runtime. It's just a time saver as more and more morphs are released for figures - body shapes, head shapes, Starter, Base - loading those every time you want to use a character is cumbersome, so I save a file with the morphs preloaded. Then, I only have to load the already morphed Dusk and the character file.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I also change the morphs folder for HW figures in my library, and it's a pain when there are updates because I have to match my folder structure. But it's all worth it because I can find my contents much faster, which makes me more productive.

Anyway, I ALWAYS install new contents on a separate folder before merging with the main runtime, so I can organize the "library" section to my liking. For starters, I organize contents by figure name, NOT brands and CA names, so there is always some clean-up required. I think most people who care to manually organize their runtimes do it by FIGURE name. Leaving things as they come, finding contents specific to a figure becomes a nightmare, because many CAs prefer to organize store products by their own names, which is useless when creating a scene.

Some people go a step beyond, and split contents by figures into separate runtimes. I wish I had thought of that before, for I can't do that now. I think this would optimize runtime sizes and speed up Poser quite a bit. If I ever (God forbid!!) restart my runtime from scratch, that's how I would do it.

We don't have to worry about any of this in DS4, since the library is already organized by figure name by default, and most CAs follow that standard. However, some CAs also like to add their brand names into the path, which to me is just annoying.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Truth is, Poser doesn't enforce any standards when it comes to file organization. In the beginning, I remember downloading freebies from Renderosity (over a decade ago) where all files were in the same folder, and it still worked anyway. Some freebies didn't even have any folders - it was just files packed into a ZIP archive. We can STILL find such cases in contents from some Poser sites from Japan.

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
Truth is, Poser doesn't enforce any standards when it comes to file organization. In the beginning, I remember downloading freebies from Renderosity (over a decade ago) where all files were in the same folder, and it still worked anyway. Some freebies didn't even have any folders - it was just files packed into a ZIP archive. We can STILL find such cases in contents from some Poser sites from Japan.

Poserworld still releases files like that all the time.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
For the whole time I have lived in Japan, there were signs everywhere indicating that the Japanese don't like following international standards whenever they can. Even their TVs and radios use a different band than the rest of the world. We can still find many Japanese software with very unusual interfaces that, in some cases, don't even follow Windows or Mac standards. Then it comes to no surprise that they just won't follow Poser standards to pack their contents properly. If they CAN break any standards, they will! LOL

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Yeah, this^^^.

When I buy characters here, I end up having to edit the files because I put morphs in a different place - a separate morph folder, but my own organization.

Also, I remove the "load dusk.pmd" readscript out of each file because I save a fully morphed Dusk in my runtime. It's just a time saver as more and more morphs are released for figures - body shapes, head shapes, Starter, Base - loading those every time you want to use a character is cumbersome, so I save a file with the morphs preloaded. Then, I only have to load the already morphed Dusk and the character file.
I do this in DS as I like the setup they use for Morphs but the earlier morphs and others don't use this format.

I like to have everything in it's place under actor and what type of morph it is. If it's in a different location I forget that they're there and don't use them.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
That is a good observation, Pen. I started to follow this standard in DS products, even though it looks rather odd in Poser. This makes more sense in DS because of the way morphs are handled internally. In Poser, a figure has no morphs until we manually inject them individually, while in DS, all morphs are already available in the figures at all times. Therefore an "actor" root for morphs makes sense in DS, but not so much in Poser, where only a few morphs will be present at a time. Nonetheless, this is yet another area where Poser has no standards for.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Even in poser it makes sense though. If I load in two injections with different structures you have to hunt all over the place to find stuff. This might not matter to someone who uses characters as is but if you want to spin dials it makes more sense to have the ears all in one place, the noses in one place etc...

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I know it may make sense to someone coming from DS, but I am afraid Poser vendors may never agree on this among themselves. LOL I have also seen some DS products where morphs are placed outside the actor folder, since DS doesn't enforce it. I think most of my early DS products were like that, since I was coming from Poser, but now I understand DS things better, and new products will follow the proper standards. The DS version of CatsEyes is doing that, which like you said, makes it easy to locate the morphs. :)

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
That is a real bug bear for me when people do that. When Genesis first came out there was a lot of criticism when that happened. Most of the ones I've seen like that are from people just starting to do things for DS Genesis figures. Everyone has a learning curve...

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
When I look at my own older products for DS, I sometimes get caught by surprise when I see I didn't put the morphs on the right "actor" place. LOL

kobaltkween

Brilliant
Contributing Artist
If I understand what people are saying, everyone likes to put their presets in a place that works for them. So my practice of putting morphs (.pmd's) in Runtime > Morphs > kobaltkween > My Cool Item, then linking to them from a .pz2 that can be moved pretty much anywhere in your library (as long as the .pz2 still works as such), works. And the practice of putting resource files like .pmd's, .objs, and textures in library folders creates problems for most people.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
This practice of creating folders that do not belong to any Poser standard location to store morph data was first introduced by DAZ, way before binary morph files were introduced. Before PMDs, figure morphs were stored in a multitude of injection files and related deltas - differently from what modern weight mapped figures work nowadays. The morphs were a collection a dozens of PZ2 files that customers should never touch, so it made sense that we should place them outside their reach at a custom folder, usually with the CA brand on the name. This is still like this with V4, to make sure other products can access her morphs and build on top of them, no matter how customers may change the library file locations.

Now, most vendors place their PMDs together with CR2/PP2 files, since there is no danger of customers misusing them. I do that in all my products, by removing the PMD relative path from the files. This allows people to move them around without breaking the product.

So far, so good - but I have identified a problem with this. If other people want to create morphs that use a PMD I have created, there is no guarantee it will be at the default installation location. As a matter of fact, my Dawn SE is not at the default folder because I have moved it.

Having that said, maybe the old method could be beneficial for modern weight mapped figures as well. If we want to make morphs that use morphs created by other vendors, we must be able to locate the PMDs, or else the whole thing won't work. For example, I made a character morph for Sora called "CatsEyes". If I want my injection preset to automatically load Sora in Poser, it must know where to find the Sora PMD. Since I have moved my default Dawn SE folder in my library, my preset would only work for me. Even if I assumed the default location, there is no way of knowing if people haven't moved it away like I did.

Without a common standard for PMD file locations, customers first have to apply the Sora morph on Dawn, and then apply my CatsEyes morph on top of it. Of course, this only affects Poser, since morph locations in DS are well defined and established.

Some food for thought.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
If I understand what people are saying, everyone likes to put their presets in a place that works for them. So my practice of putting morphs (.pmd's) in Runtime > Morphs > kobaltkween > My Cool Item, then linking to them from a .pz2 that can be moved pretty much anywhere in your library (as long as the .pz2 still works as such), works. And the practice of putting resource files like .pmd's, .objs, and textures in library folders creates problems for most people.
My post was refering to where they show in the parameters tab but I must admit it is confusing over where the pmd file should go with injection files in Poser. I've been told a couple of different things by different people.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
The most common practice is to just leave the PMD at the default location, together with the CR2. Only a few people will move it away for personal reasons.

kobaltkween

Brilliant
Contributing Artist
But there's not "default location" unless you're working with .cr2's. To work with .pz2 injection files, you've generally had to place the .pmd's by hand anyway (Poser 11 is supposed to change that, but I haven't played with that feature).

It's not "personal reasons" to not want your product to break just because someone wants to put your car in a folder called "Cars" rather than the way most vendors or even freebie creators distribute content, which is generally, Runtime > Libraries > [Library Folder] > [Artist Name] > [Product Name] > [Product Name].cr2. Or to want to let people put that .cr2 in the Props folder, because most people think of a car as a prop even if it's actually a figure. That folder structure is great for distributing files in a way so they won't overwrite anyone else's content, but it really sucks for organizing content. Most people don't care who made an item, and will just find it harder to locate and navigate to one to three items grouped in a folder.

Unfortunately, if the creator puts the .pmd file in [Product Name] folder, the moment any customer decides to change the slightest aspect of that long and unweildy path, all the morphs break without any feedback from Poser. They seem to load, but none of them work. So it just looks like the creator published broken content and isn't trustworthy. Unless you know to edit the .cr2 file by hand in some type of text editor and fix its reference to its .pmd file. Which is a lot to ask a of a user who just wanted to organize their library in a way that makes sense to them.

None of which is a problem if you don't put your .pmd's inside the Library.