• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Solved TWO Poser surfaces & their nodes for Sora's skin parts?

Lyne

Distinguished
HW Honey Bear
This is very confusing~ I often tweak materials.... but since a Poser Surface cannot be deleted, how do I get rid of the double set? and yes, EACH HAS IT'S OWN (DUPLICATE, SOMETIMES SAME SOMETIMES DIFFERENT) NODES.

2SoraPoserSurfaces.jpg

Poser 11 strikes again or?? I use poser 2014, and will NOT be EVER upgrading (sorry have NO need for that learning curve, don't like superfly, etc.)

Lyne

Distinguished
HW Honey Bear
PS I LOST her eyelashes totally, when trying to make just ONE...and it was the SECOND poser surface set up that I had to 'rebuild' to get them back... :(

seachnasaigh

Energetic
I've seen that happen if a P11 material with dual root nodes is applied to something in Pro2014; you may also see "orphaned" nodes (not connected); those would occur where new P11 nodes had been, and Pro2014 simply omits them, leaving breaks in the node chain.

I used the remove detached nodes Python, and that deleted the Superfly PoserSurface root and all unneeded nodes.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
That's because Sora has both Firefly and Superfly materials. Because you're using an earlier version of Poser, they both appear as Firefly materials. It looks to be the second one that is used by earlier Poser versions. And yeah. I also can't delete either of the two Poser Surfaces. Best you can do is to delete the nodes plugged into that first Poser Surface and then move it to the right. Then move the second Poser Surface with its nodes up to where the first Poser Surface was.

However, you can edit the mc6 file and remove the Superfly set of PoserSurface nodes under each material zone shaderTree. At the bottom of each material zone, it will identify which is Firefly and which is Superfly.

As an example ... The material section for the Face identifies PoserSurface as firefly and PoserSurface_2 as superfly.
material 3_Face
fireflyRoot "PoserSurface"
superflyRoot "PoserSurface_2"​

So if I remove the PoserSurface_2 and the nodeInputs under PoserSurface_2, I will end up with just the one Poser Surface.

Now for the ears, it's reversed with PoserSurface_2 being firefly and PoserSurface being superfly.

material 3_Ears
fireflyRoot "PoserSurface_2"​
superflyRoot "PoserSurface"​

So in this case, I'd remove PoserSurface and the nodeInputs under PoserSurface.

Deleting the superfly PoserSurface and nodeInputs from the mc6 will then load just the one PoserSurface.

Here is an example
Scroll down to the end of the material section to find the root identification.

fireflyRoot "PoserSurface"
superflyRoot "PoserSurface_2"

In this material section, PoserSurface_2 is the superfly root. So that's the one you would delete in this material section.

Now you'd scroll back up to the shaderTree for each material zone and locate the node identified as node "poser" "PoserSurface_2"

shaderTree
{
node "poser" "PoserSurface_2" <-- Delete this and all the nodeInputs below
{
name "PoserSurface"
pos 50 939
advancedInputsCollapsed 0
showPreview 1
nodeInput "Diffuse_Color"
{
name "Diffuse_Color"
value 1 1 1
parmR NO_PARM
parmG NO_PARM
parmB NO_PARM
node "hsv"
file NO_MAP
}
nodeInput "Diffuse_Value"
{
name "Diffuse_Value"
value 0 0 10
parmR NO_PARM
parmG NO_PARM
parmB NO_PARM
node NO_NODE
file NO_MAP
}
nodeInput "Highlight_Color"
{
name "Specular_Color"
value 0 0 0
parmR NO_PARM
parmG NO_PARM
parmB NO_PARM
node NO_NODE
file NO_MAP
}

bunch of nodeInputs

nodeInput "Geometry_Edge_Color"
{
name "Geometric_Edge_Color"
value 0 0 0
parmR NO_PARM
parmG NO_PARM
parmB NO_PARM
node NO_NODE
file NO_MAP
}
}
node "poser" "PoserSurface" <-- Keep this and the nodeInputs below it
{
name "PoserSurface"
pos 5 2
showPreview 1
nodeInput "Diffuse_Color"
{
name "Diffuse_Color"
value 1 1 1
parmR NO_PARM
parmG NO_PARM
parmB NO_PARM
node "Image_Map_7"
file NO_MAP
}
nodeInput "Diffuse_Value"
{
name "Diffuse_Value"
value 0 0 10
parmR NO_PARM
parmG NO_PARM
parmB NO_PARM
node NO_NODE
file NO_MAP
}
nodeInput "Highlight_Color"
{
name "Specular_Color"
value 1 1 1
parmR NO_PARM
parmG NO_PARM
parmB NO_PARM
node NO_NODE
file NO_MAP
}

bunch of nodeInputs

nodeInput "Geometry_Edge_Color" <-- this is the last PoserSurface nodeInput in this material.
{
name "Geometric_Edge_Color"
value 0 0 0
parmR NO_PARM
parmG NO_PARM
parmB NO_PARM
node NO_NODE
file NO_MAP
}
}
node "image_map" "Image_Map" <-- nodes connected to Poser Surface start here. Keep these.
{
name "Face specular map"
pos 509 862
showPreview 1
nodeInput "Image_Source"
{
name "Image_Source"
value 1 1 1
parmR NO_PARM
parmG NO_PARM
parmB NO_PARM
node NO_NODE
file ":Runtime:textures:HiveWire 3D:Sora:SoraFaceS.jpg"
}

Last edited:

Lyne

Distinguished
HW Honey Bear
OH wow~! You did a lot of work to help me... BUT with my dyslexia, this is a nightmare (to edit it all).... I just wish someone would have done that FOR the Poser 2014 version. Thanks VERY much for the information, Satira!! At least I understand now... and can just deal with the second surface (tho I'm not sure the skin is being read properly, as the SSS is not there, no matter what lighting I use to render.... not sure if it's just set too "low" or this is the problem.... I need to alert Tosca) So... @Virtual_World any ideas?

Lyne

Distinguished
HW Honey Bear
I've seen that happen if a P11 material with dual root nodes is applied to something in Pro2014; you may also see "orphaned" nodes (not connected); those would occur where new P11 nodes had been, and Pro2014 simply omits them, leaving breaks in the node chain.

I used the remove detached nodes Python, and that deleted the Superfly PoserSurface root and all unneeded nodes.

OHHH I have that utility... hmmm.

Lyne

Distinguished
HW Honey Bear
Okay I'm back with another report so to speak. I just went ahead and delete it all the nodes from the extra posterior surface. I also applied a very light tint to each body part based on her own coloring and that seemed to help. I did notice that some of the "posterior surfaces" set up were completely different, for example the fingernails looked quite shiny in the one that was not active. At any rate I saved my whole character of sora and am on my second art piece with her.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I haven't checked Sora's PoserSurface nodes specifically for her fingernails, but I know I usually set up some shine, either with Glossy, though that tends to be a bit too shiny, or Anisotropic, which I have more control over. I use that for the lips as well.

If you want to know where you can find that, just holler. ;)

seachnasaigh

Energetic
Lyne, did you actually *try* the remove detached nodes script? If so, what effect -if any- did you see?

When I tried it, it deleted the Superfly root, all nodes attached to the Superfly root, and all "orphaned" nodes. My guess is that the extra root node is itself seen as an orphan, so even nodes attached to it are deleted.

What I don't know is if it will always pick the Firefly root to retain.

seachnasaigh

Energetic
update: I made a dual-root shader in P11Pro. I added a second PoserSurface root. I set the second root to be the Firefly root, with the original first root left as the Superfly root. I saved this as an MT5. Exited P11Pro.

Opened Poser Pro 2014 GameDev. Applied the dual-root MT5. Ran the remove detached nodes script. It correctly chose to keep the Firefly root and all nodes connected to the Firefly root, even though that root was the "PoserSurface_2" root. So, I think this is the easy way to deal with it.

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
That's fabulous! You have to run it on each material, but it sure is a lot easier than editing the mc6 file!

If you hold down Shift while you click on the Remove Detached Nodes wacro it will do it for all materials on the figure. So you don't have to do this material by material.

Lyne

Distinguished
HW Honey Bear
OH my gosh! Very cool.... in the meantime, I had gone through every one by hand (I missed some replies here) and 'fixed' the skin the way I wanted... so problem solved at this point, but I really need to try this if this happens again, Thanks @seachnasaigh !