• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Transfer of Customer purchases at HiveWire 3D to the store at Renderosity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
I updated most of my products. The biggest change was in the Horse animations. The rest added still poses. Dance of the Snowflakes was changed to add LeFemme and Genesis 8 to the poses.

charliejudge

Inspired
I requested them at the time; but still no transfers for me. Does anybody know what the status is? Do we need to request them again?

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE
Once more -

Unless we hear otherwise, it will be posted here when the process is complete and the products have all been gifted.

THEN if you don't have the files in your accounts, you can request again.

DO NOT SEND REPEAT REQUESTS to Renderosity, please.

Sunfire

One Busy Little Bee
QAV-BEE
Contributing Artist
They are doing their best as it is all manual, and a mess. Might be easier to rake leaves in a windstorm.

DanaTA

Distinguished
Manually? This is 2021! I did this type of work on my job in 2001, with scripts in SQL languages to port data from one database to another database. Manually? What a nightmare for them!

Dana

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Manually? This is 2021! I did this type of work on my job in 2001, with scripts in SQL languages to port data from one database to another database. Manually? What a nightmare for them!
I believe, though could be wrong, the way the HW database was set up, is totally different from the way Renderosity's database is set up, so one or both may not use SQL for data transfer, hence the need to do it manually.

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE
That is correct - the 2 databases are not particularly compatible - different systems, but I can't give you the particulars of what and why. It's the same thing with many different things - not all 3d models are going to transfer from one program to another. Not all CAD (Computer Aided Design) program's files are completely compatible with one another. So they are having to gift the products to each person.

When I had to create orders for people at HiveWire, it all had to be done manually, so I know how much work is involved - and that was just for small numbers of people and small numbers of products, compared to what Renderosity is doing for all of us.

I've reached out to Jenn for an update, so if I hear back I'll post here.

DanaTA

Distinguished
I believe, though could be wrong, the way the HW database was set up, is totally different from the way Renderosity's database is set up, so one or both may not use SQL for data transfer, hence the need to do it manually.
That's what database programmers are for. That's what I was/am. Every database has the ability to export in certain formats and the other databases have the ability to import in those formats. Believe me, it's what I did a lot of. I worked with Microsoft databases...Visual FoxPro and MS SQL Server. But I imported data from other databases, sometimes even sent to us in XML format. I sent data extracts to Oracle database. But the database programmer needs to know the structure of the tables on both ends, and be able to have a matching field/column that will have the same piece of data on both sides. In this case, it would be the email address of the customer. The programmer is told which columns they want to import, and he/she would write the code to extract the required data, in the format required at the other end. It's not the only thing I did, by far, but it was a good portion of my work.

Dana

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I agree with Dana on this. I did plenty of database conversions while working in the IT industry, almost to a point where it was a pretty common task - and that was before XML existed. Nowadays we can even run a database without a database using just XML. Like Dana, I find it odd that Rendo couldn't match the table fields and use XML to transfer the data. But again, I don't know what they have in hands, so there might be a reason why they couldn't do it, like for example, too many missing fields that would be key in the transfer. Your guess is as good as mine.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I haven't done much in recent years, but there was a time I worked with PHP and MySQL, but I did it mostly for designing web sites, so I would say my experience is a bit limited as far as the types of databases that can be created and used. Even so, I never worked on a database as large as the one we had here at HW, and certainly not as large as the one at Renderosity.

I also have no idea how many staff members at Renderosity/Bondware have that type of experience, as the only ones we come into contact with on a regular basis are those who are on the forums most of the time. Database work is done "behind the scenes", and they may not have a whole group of folks doing that type of work.

Sunfire

One Busy Little Bee
QAV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Rendo, behind the scenes, as I understand it, really isn't much larger than HiveWire, their programming types are working on P12.

Semicharm

Eager
While we all appreciate their efforts, as someone who's worked my share of IT positions, I can understand the confusion others have about the situation. I get that sometimes the built-in import functions fail or simply don't exists for a particular conversion and requires custom scripting to get it done. As others have mentioned, that requires particular expertise to manage. I'm guessing it's not one their current staff have, as it's not something they'd do often or on such a scale. I'm not sure why they couldn't reach out to the community for help from those with more experience in such things.

Sunfire

One Busy Little Bee
QAV-BEE
Contributing Artist
While we all appreciate their efforts, as someone who's worked my share of IT positions, I can understand the confusion others have about the situation. I get that sometimes the built-in import functions fail or simply don't exists for a particular conversion and requires custom scripting to get it done. As others have mentioned, that requires particular expertise to manage. I'm guessing it's not one their current staff have, as it's not something they'd do often or on such a scale. I'm not sure why they couldn't reach out to the community for help from those with more experience in such things.

Security. Pure and simple, security.

Rhia474

Because personally identifiable data, such as email address and credit card information in a database is not something one just hands over to a member of the public. It's a serious audit offense for a company, and can be fined heavily, or worse.

Bwaomega

Inspired
What Sunfire and Rhia said. At the very least, such a person would have to be thoroughly screened, formally hired as either a contractor or employee, and be able to handle the data in a secure manner, which almost certainly means on-site for something like this. Probably some level of licensing or certification would be involved.

I'm guessing that your IT experience has not been in the financial or medical fields. As a tax preparer, I deal with confidential information like this on a nearly daily basis.

Status
Not open for further replies.