• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Too good not to share

carmen indorato

Extraordinary
And here I am still preferring to scribble in spiral bound notebooks and leatherbound sketchbooks or on Bristol-board pads when my arthritis is manageable. Though I have switched from No.2 pencils to refillable mechanical pencils in the last 10 years, so progress is catching up to me.
Mechanical pencils are great! I still use them from time to time. I still must be the only person w/o a smart phone....oh hell!......I don’t even have a cell phone any more. Never needed it and never will. Being that “Plugged In” was never necessary thank God. I am typing this on an iPad Pro and hate using it. Real toidy ting it is I Tinks yes! Wish I never spent all that money on it. Typing on it sucks and is really counter productive....not that I ever really liked typing much!!!
When my nephew came back from getting his engineering degree at RIT we were out and he asked me if he could use my phone. I laughed and told him I didn’t own one. He looked at me like I was from the moon. But when I pulled,out my PDA....a small writing pad....with lined paper.....and a miniature ball point pen that was advertised as being hi tech....or being capable of writing upside down......he laughed his skinny butt off. I still use that kind of calculator/PDA/smart unPhone. The thought of all the darn batteries I never had to use and all the unwanted money I never had to spend on “renewable” energy still puts a grin on my sagging wrinkled ol face!

carmen indorato

Extraordinary
I asked my son if he had seen the newspaper.

He told me newspapers were obsolete and handed me his iPad.

That fly never had a chance.

Source: American Legion Magazine (Sept or Oct issue, can't recall which one I read it in. I always try to give credit where credit is due.)
Just look what you started with your post! You got us all reminiscing and wishing...in my case anyway.....those low-tech days were never forced into obsolescence!

Hornet3d

Wise
I know a company that paid a small fortune to have some imported phones converted from the old dial pulse to the duel tone multi frequency used by landline push button phones. I was unaware of this and when they were short of a few phone for particular function undid two screws and took the cover off and pushed the small switch inside from DP to DTMF. I guess the guy charging the company around £50 (around $65 at the time if I remember rightly) to do the same thing was a little upset when the orders dried up.

My brother has many talents but understanding technology is not one of him. He told me some years ago he had called his company's IT department to see it they supplied a computer mouse with a longer lead. They said no and ask why he would want one to which his reply was 'well when the lead is at full stretch the pointy thing on the screen is only half way across and I want to use both sides of the screen'.

eclark1894

Visionary
You know, that reminds me that Apple used to release a video tutorial with their macs on how to use a mouse. I used to think to myself then, "What kind of idiot doesn't know how to use a mouse?":sneaky:

Hornet3d

Wise
You know, that reminds me that Apple used to release a video tutorial with their macs on how to use a mouse. I used to think to myself then, "What kind of idiot doesn't know how to use a mouse?":sneaky:

Whoever made it must have had a brother like mine. In his teens he even tried to top up engine oil via the dipstick tube rather than the top of the engine so he has form.

robert952

Brilliant
I actually use to keep a floppy labeled "Emergency Back Up" attached to my metal filing cabinet with a large magnet. There were several who didn't catch the joke. One person even said it was a good idea as he can never find his backup disk. He was serious too! I pointed out the error of his thinking.

(But then there's 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.)

Willowisp

Adventurous
(But then there's 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.)

Actually, there are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand ternary, those who don't, and those who mistake it for binary :p

My very first computer used jumper wires.
But my first graphics workstation had a trackball.
I still use trackballs, only Kensington.
The first time I saw a mouse I thought:
"What kind of idiot would use a mouse?"

'Forced Obsolescence' or more appropriately 'Planned Obsolescence' just recently bit me.
I bought an Addesso tablet with pressure sensing pen at a very low price.
It works great with my drawing and painting programs.
Problem is the points wear out quickly.
Using it daily, a tip will last about a month.
It comes with a tip in the pen, and 8 spares, so that's good for about 9 months.
As soon as I realized this I started looking for replacement tips.
Not available, and no response from vendors or the manufacturer to requests for replacements.
So the tablet is good for about 9 months, and then it's junk.
Now, that's criminal.

You know what?
I didn't understand the first post of this thread.
Couldn't make any sense of it until after a few posts.
I guess, first of all, it's because I would never think of swatting a fly with a newspaper.
Seems like the wind gust would displace the fly before it was hit.
I use a fly swatter, they work good.
Or sometimes I use a dust buster which really is my 'bug buster'.
Flies usually get away from it though.
And secondly, I won't even touch a newspaper.
They're filthy. Not worth looking at.

carmen indorato

Extraordinary
As my high school printing teacher persuaded us into believing printed page is not dirt it is ink. So what you refer to as dirty is just inky. Probably more toxic than dirt too in the greater scheme of things but let’s not go there shall we!! LOL
And as far as the reading issue, the printed word might go the way of the Dodo bird if we as a culture keep closing down libraries and communicate long distance via pda or phone texting abbreviating our thoughts in shorter hints of words similar to what phonic ( fonics) did for grade schools long ago. It was a wasteful way of educating our inner city kids. And I don’t think the newspaper is any better unless you were referring to the dirt subject matter we read in it if that I agree!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 325

I still use them from time to time. I still must be the only person w/o a smart phone....oh hell!......I don’t even have a cell phone any more. Never needed it and never will. Being that “Plugged In” was never necessary thank God.
I do not have a Smart Phone either. I actually very much hate this wave of "Smart" technology. While I can see some uses for some of it, I do not want my TV or DVD player connected all of the time...I do not want "Suggestions" from my cable box on what I may like (because if they are anything like Google's or Amazon's suggestions they are terrible and just spamming what they are paid to sell). I do have a cell phone, my only phone, a good old flip phone (mostly so I can flip it open and say "Scotty, do you read" when in crowded offices or elevators). I needed a cell phone because of all the medical and government offices I have to deal with - I swear I will make 20-30 calls and leave messages, and would leave my house for 5 minutes to run up the street to the mini-mart, come home and find 3 messages...like clockwork...then days of me calling back again for it to repeat.

I just can't help but remember that scene in Star Trek IV with Scotty using it like a microphone "Hello Computer?"
I prefer track balls but gave up on them when I could not replace one that broke with a model I liked (no one seemed to carry it locally and couldn't really afford to wait a week to order it online).

carmen indorato

Extraordinary
The kind who has never seen one what it is for or how to coordinate eye hand movement while forgetting the mouse and stareing at that stupid cursor/ arrow on the screen. Believe me there are MANY people still not living in a technology appaplexy in this world and God bless them!!!

esha

Admirable
Contributing Artist
I asked my son if he had seen the newspaper.

He told me newspapers were obsolete and handed me his iPad.

That fly never had a chance.

Source: American Legion Magazine (Sept or Oct issue, can't recall which one I read it in. I always try to give credit where credit is due.)

That reminds me of that funny commercial:

quietrob

Extraordinary
Years ago, when my son was barely an egg, He would sit on my lap and play a game called DOOM. It was a video game. For computers before they were displaced by Playstations and Xbox's. He barely knew how to read, but in a few moments he was killing monsters with no problem. All he had was the mouse and those small hands and a brand new brain.

Years later, my good friend Ashley, all of ten years old at the time, wanted me to play Mario Bros with her. It uses something called a gamepad.

You know, In dozens of matches, I never beat her. Not once. I wonder if she was thinking, "What kind of an idiot doesn't know how to use a gamepad?"

Hornet3d

Wise
Years ago, when my son was barely an egg, He would sit on my lap and play a game called DOOM. It was a video game. For computers before they were displaced by Playstations and Xbox's. He barely knew how to read, but in a few moments he was killing monsters with no problem. All he had was the mouse and those small hands and a brand new brain.

Years later, my good friend Ashley, all of ten years old at the time, wanted me to play Mario Bros with her. It uses something called a gamepad.

You know, In dozens of matches, I never beat her. Not once. I wonder if she was thinking, "What kind of an idiot doesn't know how to use a gamepad?"

DOOM....well that takes me back.

carmen indorato

Extraordinary
Funny.......never got into computer games. From the dark side of the moon....me...do ha think. NEVER.....EVER!!!!!!!

....do you all think there might be something wrong with me????!!!!