• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Smart Prop Saving Problem

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Thanks KageRyu!

I don't remember if I've ever tried that. Maybe I have and the above was just my brain skipping a track. Then too, I always save my props with Netherworks PoserFile Assistant. That way the geometry is auto extracted.

esha

Admirable
Contributing Artist
I second KageRyu regarding saving it as a subset, but I don't see the need of manually editing the file.

"smartparent" is used if you want a prop to load on its own, but parent it to something. E.g. you load a sword and it automatically parents itself to the figure's hand. In the case of your apple tray there's no need for that because the tray and the apples all load together.

Anybody ever seen a case where saving as a subset doesn't work? If I remember correctly, I tried to save the stacks of cookies shown in this image the subset option (for later re-use) in Poser Pro 2014 and it didn't work.

Everything is Sweeter with Sprinkles by tiggersprings MarketPlace Showcase Comics/Cartoons

Of course, I no longer have runtimes, or the scene, to verify it, but I'm pretty sure when I moved the bottom cookie on each (which I'd made the parent), they didn't all move together.

D

Deleted member 325

I remember saving subsets with smart props not working. It may have finally gotten fixed, but as of Poser 2012 it was still hit or miss and required manual editing sometimes. If it no longer does, that is even better news and will make prop group creation so much easier for me.
It was, for the longest time, that editing the subset when saving would remove any smart parenting of props, especially in Poser 7 where I have worked the longest.

Well, I just installed Pappy411's cookies and cakes set to a temp rutnime on the desktop and tried it. Saving as a subset worked this time. We'll see--when and if--I ever get to installing all the props into their runtime(s), I guess... LOL I haven't decided how I want to handle props... Whether I just one big, well-organized runtime or some smaller ones. So many prop sets have mixed content or themes, it's a bit tough... I remember there being a couple of old book sets (science and magic themes) that I wanted to save various stacks of, at one point.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Wouldn't you want to parent the apples to the tray so you could move the tray and have the apples stick to the tray?