• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Show Us Your Dawn Renders!

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
One of the things that keeps me from investigating Blender more is there is no bridge between Poser and Blender.
I wouldn't be surprised if one is created once the Poser dev team has fully created Unimesh for Poser. Then projects in Blender for Poser will stay all one piece, instead of breaking up into many pieces when exported from Poser.

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
DS is too much for my old brain. Poser is quite robust as well in many ways but honestly, for the most part, just makes more sense to me.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
I'm so the reverse to that Ram! I find DS so intuitive after using it for so many years. I'm struggling to do the basics in Poser. I haven't even tried to open the dress in there. For now I'm just playing with setting up the textures I did for Alexis camisole set.

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
My history with Poser wasn't all that great. I started with Poser 4 and that was horrible. I tried a couple more versions while working with DAZ Studio when it was only in beta and tested a bit for them. Then by the time that DAZ Studio was out of beta I had forgotten about Poser but always maintained my upgrades and then things started getting more and more complicated in DS and I just found myself loosing interest and of course had my upgrade to Poser and had version 11 so installed it. It wasn't instantaneous in getting comfy, I asked ALLOT of questions but I started getting it pretty well and now, while I'm no pro at using it, I'm very comfy. DO I miss some tools in DS, sure. When I start doing allot of my production in Poser 12 I'll have allot of Ken's brilliant scripts to help my work flow improve and when Unimesh is fully a reality I think Poser 13 will be right up there with DS in allot of ways.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Everyone has to find what suits them...I just find poser very lacking in tools for creating things whereas ds makes it easy. As I want to make stuff for dawn as well as genesis I'll persevere with poser but I just find it hard even the simplest of things.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
The more we use one software, the more the others look cumbersome. I am comfortable in both PSR and DS when creating contents, but when I am in one, I miss tools from the other. Neither is complete in all aspects. But when it comes to creating contents, Poser 13 might close the gap with DS, making integration easier. For the time being, I cannot live without PSR's morph tool - I morph everything. The Dependency Editor is also helpful - DS spreads this functionality all over the place. Morph and weights projections are terrible in Poser, much better in DS, but that's one thing unimesh might fix. We will have to wait and see. :)

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
Yes, as I've gotten more used to using the Dependency Editor I find it very fast and MOSTLY reliable. Not that I don't run into issues with it or at times forget steps to get things working but I blame it on my old man brain. That's my story and I'm sticking to it! LOL

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
One of the [many] things I like about the Dependency Editor is its ability of setting multiple keys to a dependency, and also allowing setting negative numbers. Last I tried, can't do those in DS, but there are workarounds.

unreal

Noteworthy
The more we use one software, the more the others look cumbersome. I am comfortable in both PSR and DS when creating contents, but when I am in one, I miss tools from the other. Neither is complete in all aspects. But when it comes to creating contents, Poser 13 might close the gap with DS, making integration easier. For the time being, I cannot live without PSR's morph tool - I morph everything. The Dependency Editor is also helpful - DS spreads this functionality all over the place. Morph and weights projections are terrible in Poser, much better in DS, but that's one thing unimesh might fix. We will have to wait and see. :)
Totally. Which is why standards in data files are so useful. Open and published standards. And why APIs are so important. Again, Published (and complete) APIs. The you can use what you want, to suit what your work. :)

unreal

Noteworthy
Untitled.jpg

Just because this thread has completely gone off the rails, an attempt to reign it back in. This is an absolutely nothing special render of the Willow character for Dawn. But it *is* a Dawn render. So there! :p

Willow connoisseurs will notice that this is a modified Willow. Anyone who knows Willow knows that she's a curvy character. This is a demonstration of using the Add-on I talked about to quickly modify the Willow morph in Blender then use the resulting OBJ as a FBM in poser. The morph (largely a slimming and skinnifying) of Willow was done completely with Blender's sculpting. Since dresses tend to NOT do so well in when copying morphs from Figure, I also used the sculpt to make a matching "young willow" morph for the dress.

It's a great way to see how Poser and Blender compliment each other. Setting up a character (certainly posing, dial morphing, applying mats) in Poser is a breeze. Click click click. While sculpting in a recent version of Blender is a breeze. Point, move, squish, stretch.

Being able to flip Objects (uni-meshed) back and forth makes for a very easy work flow. Blender sculpt makes fitting clothing to figures very fast.

I just put the "how to" file together and I need to take the PDF and .py file and put them somewhere public. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Workflow for this:

1. Load Dawn into Poser. Export as zero'd and welded.
2. Apply Willow morph. Export that welded.
3. Import the original, zero welded, and morphed welded OBJs into Blender.
4. Select the resulting objects with the add-on, click "make unimesh" and it instantly makes a unimesh object that's shaped like the morphed object. (it maps the zero welded to the original, then uses that map to create a morphed unimesh. You can sculpt that more (I did, in this case). Only took a few minutes to tweak into skinny/young.
5. Export that Object as OBJ. Now it can be used as a FBM in poser.

You can even go back and forth. Why? Sometimes Posers morph brush does better on smoothing. The algorithm seems optimised to favour Figures. If I modify in poser, it just becomes another morph (version 1.1, maybe). Export then import as a welded morph into Blender, change that mesh in the add-on and it will reform the unimesh (or if you want, make a new one). Then you export that again as a OBJ.

I find the fast back and forth super useful when I'm shaping a mesh, for any reason.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
I find the fast back and forth super useful when I'm shaping a mesh, for any reason.
Nice pic of Willow!

I find zbrush and the Daz bridge work superfast and the ease with which I can update the base mesh when creating clothing is so useful.

Talking of morphs though in poser can anyone point me to a good tutorial on loading morphs and also creating the injections?

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
To load a morph (of a figure): from the main menu, Figure -> Load Full Body Morph. To create an injection: from the main menu, File -> Export -> Morph Injection.

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
Just wish the Morph Brush had a way to save personal brush settings. I've love to have more brush options too. It's a great tool but lacking and then I end up in ZBrush!