• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Runtime DNA merges with DAZ 3D

Hornet3d

Wise
Here's the Wine Database I found, where I was able to check out what they have to say about 3D software. Unfortunately, the Poser list didn't include Poser11, Standard or Pro. I guess it's a bit too new. Just click on the software name, and it'll take you to a page with rankings by version number. Hopefully you'll find good results for the software you use as well.

WineHQ Database 3D Applications

Thank you so much for the link, what a fabulous resource and one I have bookmarked. I haven't yet upgraded to Poser 11 and have stuck with Poser 2014 mainly due to the de-registartion feature and the fact that Superfly was not a easy as I thought it might be. I know Poser 11 is getting better but I might just wait for the next upgrade.

While the having the later versions working in Wine would be a plus, I like the idea of working with Linux far better than moving on to Windows 10 and if staying with an earlier version of Poser is the price I have to pay to avoid Windows I am more than happy to do so.

I know Windows 7 has a few years to go but long before support is dropped I would have liked to have a replacement non-Windows system running along side. That allows me to still do my 3D stuff and work on getting a new platform up to speed when I am in the right mood to do so.

Thanks again for the link, spurs me on to do some more research.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
That's what I'm thinking too Hornet. I would like to get a Linux laptop set up while I'm still using this Win7 puppy as my main go-to computer, at least until I'm fully functional using the Linux system. Since I still do some web design/ development, having the appropriate apps available locally, rather than having to upload to my dev site to test, would be a huge plus for me.

You're quite welcome on the link. Glad you find it as useful as I did.

Last edited:

David

Adventurous
Contributing Artist
You can always create a dual boot system with Linux and Windows. That's what I've done. The Linux versions I've played with (Ubuntu and Mint) will install and set up the dual boot for you. If you've got the room, it's a good way to get used to Linux before you take the leap away from Window. You can also set up a virtual Windows machine running within Linux for those Windows only programs. I've not done that, but it seems like a viable solution for Poser 11 and other Windows only programs in Linux.

Miss B

CV-BEE
True, and you can also run a number of Linux distros (if not all of them) from a thumb drive, which I have considered, but haven't tried out yet.

I used to, many many years ago, have a dual boot laptop I set up with DOS 5 and a very old version of Windows that was still running under DOS. I think it was Windows 3.11 For Workgroups, or something like that. Back then Windows didn't take over the whole system, so I wrote a menu system that allowed me to choose which I wanted to work in.

Hornet3d

Wise
You can always create a dual boot system with Linux and Windows. That's what I've done. The Linux versions I've played with (Ubuntu and Mint) will install and set up the dual boot for you. If you've got the room, it's a good way to get used to Linux before you take the leap away from Window. You can also set up a virtual Windows machine running within Linux for those Windows only programs. I've not done that, but it seems like a viable solution for Poser 11 and other Windows only programs in Linux.

I think that running Windows inside Linux would not be an option for me as the whole point would be to move away from Windows. I have set up a dual boot on an old system using Mint and I have been able to install Poser 2014 via Wine. I originally had the issue that library was saying it needed flash even though that was installed, the work around was to install Air and make the library external.

I have only played with Poser a little but double clicking in the library either has no effect or crashes Poser, you can however drag and drop.

First impressions of Mint is that I like it a lot, the dual boot was created without any grief and it has enough so that you can be productive the minute it is installed. I now need to spend some serious time using it and Poser and then I might go for the replacement of Windows on this spare machine. Plan would then be to go dual boot on my main machine, which is a very different beast, and when/if happy then replacing Windows there as well.

David

Adventurous
Contributing Artist
There was a library alternative at Runtimedna called Shaderworks Library Mangaer 2.6. I had read that it worked in Poser under Linux. I've not used it in Linux personally, but I have used it in Poser under Windows and really like it. It's a bit like Poser library on steroids. :)

Hornet3d

Wise
There was a library alternative at Runtimedna called Shaderworks Library Mangaer 2.6. I had read that it worked in Poser under Linux. I've not used it in Linux personally, but I have used it in Poser under Windows and really like it. It's a bit like Poser library on steroids. :)

Yep I have the Shaderworks Library Manager 2.6 on my main machine and I love it, I have been using tit for years. I need to port it across but I have to understand how to insert scripts rather than install. I also use a Space Navigator which I would really miss. there is some suggestion that it also works in Linux but I need to test it. There are other programs I want to install, such as Silo that should work in Wine according to the list (thanks again Miss B) but then there is Blender so it is not a show stopper/ The one program that I cannot get to work is Kindle but again that is not high on my list of priorities.

I need to spend time with this over the coming weeks. I need to make sure that certain programs, like Poser, do work and on a fairly stable basis but I also need to ensure I like using Linux as well. First impressions are good so far but I need to see how it fairs on a day to day basis.

David

Adventurous
Contributing Artist
I think all you need to do is drop the Library Manager files in the proper folders and it should work. It's been awhile since I've installed anything python for Poser, so I could be wrong. Also, Nevercenter has a Linux version of Silo for download at their website. I've been trying to keep track of what software works where for my own migration to Linux. :)

Hornet3d

Wise
I think all you need to do is drop the Library Manager files in the proper folders and it should work. It's been awhile since I've installed anything python for Poser, so I could be wrong. Also, Nevercenter has a Linux version of Silo for download at their website. I've been trying to keep track of what software works where for my own migration to Linux. :)

I guess the same procedure works in Linux as you describe. The difficulty I had was finding the main Poser runtime, it is not as easy as going to the program folder and then the Smith Micro Folder. That said I think I have found where it is so I will give it a try.

I have also opened a new thread about Poser in Linux in the Software forum as I thought it was a little hidden here. On the other hand if you want to keep posting here I will happily follow this thread.

Miss B

CV-BEE
I hit the Poser forum a couple times a day, so I'll check there, and here, for any words of wisdom. :)

Hornet3d

Wise
I hit the Poser forum a couple times a day, so I'll check there, and here, for any words of wisdom. :)

Thanks, I have my hands full at the moment as needed to do a clean up of some of the hard drives to make room for Linux and now I am trying to install the programs on my 'must have' list before I decided to take the jump to Linux. I am watching these threads but and as I get more time I can do some further research. I am always happy to ask questions or ask for help but I need to know and little bit more before i can really decide what questions to ask.

I am also toying with the taking the bigger step sooner than I planned. As it is an old/spare machine I might run into space problems along the way I might just abandon the dual boot and turn it into a Linux machine. It does not seem to be quite the risk I was expecting as Mint seems to be able to do the basics very well it is only the 3D stuff such as Poser and Vue that have a few problems.

I do have another reason for doing this as my in-laws are looking for a new computer and I really do not want to learn Windows 10 just so I can support them when they have issues, particularly when I have no intention of ever using it myself. Mint appears, so far, to do everything they would need from a PC. My only other alternative is to build them another machine and buy Windows 7 while I still can.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Yeah, if I ever get another desktop (it's been quite a few years), I'd buy Win 7 too, and then I can wipe this puppy and make it a Linux machine for my web design/development needs. Unfortunately, I've considered building my own, but seating the heatsink has always made me weary of that prospect. Setting up cd/dvd drives, and such are not a problem, as I've done that with my old desktop years ago, and even replaced the video card myself when they started offering a newer version a month after I ordered the computer, so they sent it to me and I got it set up. I'm not totally hardware incapable.

I just keep worrying about the heatsink, because if it's not seated properly you can have all kinds of problems. At least most cases these days come with the mobo already installed.

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
Yeah, if I ever get another desktop (it's been quite a few years), I'd buy Win 7 too, and then I can wipe this puppy and make it a Linux machine for my web design/development needs. Unfortunately, I've considered building my own, but seating the heatsink has always made me weary of that prospect. Setting up cd/dvd drives, and such are not a problem, as I've done that with my old desktop years ago, and even replaced the video card myself when they started offering a newer version a month after I ordered the computer, so they sent it to me and I got it set up. I'm not totally hardware incapable.

I just keep worrying about the heatsink, because if it's not seated properly you can have all kinds of problems. At least most cases these days come with the mobo already installed.

If you purchase at NewEgg, they will install your processor and heat sink for you for a very nominal fee (I think it was $10.00). I wanted to ensure the processor and memory were working, so I requested they install and test those items for me before shipping. They did so and shipped it ready to go into the case.

Of course, I bought all those components from Newegg, but that's just common sense as they can't test products they don't have in hand.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Oh yeah, NewEgg would be the way I'd go as well, so it's good to know they can install the heat sink. That's a big issue in a desktop, and one I've always been a little reluctant to attempt.

Hornet3d

Wise
Oh yeah, NewEgg would be the way I'd go as well, so it's good to know they can install the heat sink. That's a big issue in a desktop, and one I've always been a little reluctant to attempt.

It is like a lot of things, a bit frightening but if you use care and a bit of common sense there is never usually an issue. That said, if you can get it fitted and have the processor and memory tested for a small fee it would appear to be money well spent. I have built a number of systems in my time, both for personal use and professionally, and the only problem I had was a single instance where the motherboard was dead straight from the box and the odd rogue stick of memory. I will add though that when it came to building my last couple of systems I took accident insurance for the build, again a small cost, as the processor alone was a more than a months money and the thought of bending a pin was scary even though I had never bent one in all my years of PC building. It certainly is a very different prospect when there are large chunks of your own money at stake.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Very true Hornet. I would take out insurance as well. It does pay in the long run.

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
It is like a lot of things, a bit frightening but if you use care and a bit of common sense there is never usually an issue. That said, if you can get it fitted and have the processor and memory tested for a small fee it would appear to be money well spent. I have built a number of systems in my time, both for personal use and professionally, and the only problem I had was a single instance where the motherboard was dead straight from the box and the odd rogue stick of memory. I will add though that when it came to building my last couple of systems I took accident insurance for the build, again a small cost, as the processor alone was a more than a months money and the thought of bending a pin was scary even though I had never bent one in all my years of PC building. It certainly is a very different prospect when there are large chunks of your own money at stake.

Yeah, put a few together myself. I had them install and test just because I didn't want the time waste in getting a dead mobo, then having to get an RMA, shipping it back, waiting on the new one.

The biggest thing with a heat sink is just never, ever forget to put on new thermal compound whenever you move it, even the slightest.

Sunfire

One Busy Little Bee
QAV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Yeah, put a few together myself. I had them install and test just because I didn't want the time waste in getting a dead mobo, then having to get an RMA, shipping it back, waiting on the new one.

The biggest thing with a heat sink is just never, ever forget to put on new thermal compound whenever you move it, even the slightest.

But not too much! Too much is as bad as forgetting except you find out about it faster. I found that out the hard way.

Hornet3d

Wise
But not too much! Too much is as bad as forgetting except you find out about it faster. I found that out the hard way.

Your spot on with that. I came across a few nightmares when working in a PC shop where builders had used a whole tube on a single build and the thermal compound had oozed out as they clamped the heat sink down, the result being there was more on parts of the motherboard than between the heat sink and processor. Needless to say the computers arrived in the repair shop not very long after the first power up. It was such a common fault whenever I sold any thermal compound I always offered to show the purchaser the correct amount to use on a scrap processor.

Miss B

CV-BEE
It was such a common fault whenever I sold any thermal compound I always offered to show the purchaser the correct amount to use on a scrap processor.
That was always another issue I worried about. Just how much, and where, to apply it.