• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Poser user's Lament.... or "why oh why?!?!"

Lyne

Distinguished
HW Honey Bear
don't get me wrong, I'm DEVOTED to Poser Pro 2014 and will NOT upgrade to the (to me) alien version of Poser-11) but....

WHY OH WHY does a poser mirror reflection NOT Anti-Aliase?!? I just spent time smoothing JUST the edges of my lady/her dress in a mirror in my current art....

and WHY OH WHY can't I move my cursor WHILE A RENDER IS IN PROGRESS, like in Carrera? sigh...

This is NOT a thread asking for solutions, it's just a place to vent and maybe commiserate. :)

Even if you don't want a solution, a reflection can be anti-aliased: You need to set the Quality to 1 and the Softness to 0,1 (or lesser) in the Reflect Node. But it takes really long to render, so blurring/masking the original render on a second layer is usually faster.

English Bob

Adventurous
:D Poser use is full of these frustrations. I think it's true of any complex software package, to be fair - some of the CAD systems I use at work have me shouting at the screen sometimes, and they cost thousands. We must find the results are worth the pain - that, or we're masochists. :D

There must be something to commiserate about but I can't think of it right now.
I was just thinking how nicely Firefly does surface displacement.
Either with 'bump' or displacement it works great.
Lightwave just cannot do that. It does have a bump parameter in the surfacing nodes but it's totally bogus.
Just acts like a luminance modifier, instead of making it look like the surface is responding to the rays like it was moved.
Firefly is my favorite for indoor renders, and indirect lighting also seems to work very well.
I like to watch those little red dots!

quietrob

Extraordinary
As long as we're venting....

The one thing that bugs me about Firefly is that with renders of high settings, it absolutely takes over your system. Sometimes I have to kill the entire program just to stop it when I see an error in the render. Superfly is much more mindful of the cancel button.