• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Poser sold to Rendo

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
What kind of obscure settings? Color me stupid, but cloth friction, fold resistance etc..are speaking for them self. Basic knowledge in Physic ,some tests on different outfits for the outfit,that's all you need to do. Save your setting and you are good to go.
Most of the vendors anyway set the parameters for their cloths by default.Could really never get why people are freaked out from the clothroom.

I was saying "some people" complain, not me. :) I know what these parameters are, but the problem is that they come without units. It's hard to set meaningful values without units.

Hornet3d

Wise
Most of the dynamic outfits have no belts, buttons. At last those which I purchase . Fabiana used to make more complex dynamic stuff, but they are hybrid or she has a very good tutorial which goes with it and proper settings. Esha set her cloth also always "ready to sym and render. There are so many tutorials out for proper settings also, in case you want your own settings. Sure, it needs a bit practice, but this is whit anything else too. Without practice, you go nowhere. And to be honest, after over 10 year clothroom, people should catch up. (Except those who are beginner in Poser of course)

Those that want to should indeed catch up although who ever is updating poser could make it a little easier and faster. That said there are at least two types of people who don't want to play in the cloth room, those that find it difficult to learn something new and those, who I suspect are in the majority of Poser users, that just want to load, pose and render. For such groups conforming clothing is fast and easy and even easier to use with the morph brush in later versions.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Conforming is fast and easy, but I've never liked how conforming skirts/dresses look if there is any movement or the figure is seated.

Dynamic is worth learning if you use skirts and dresses and poses that don't have the figure just standing there.

Esha has both a free tutorial and one that costs. The free one is worth picking up to get a bit of an idea. The paid one is absolutely fantastic and explains each of the settings, as well as the choreographed, constrained, soft decorated, and rigid decorated groups. She also has examples of settings for materials from silk to leather.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Poser 7 was sold through DAZ. I bought a copy. It's still in my Product library.
I bought Poser 7 through CP, though that laptop died, so I never got to use it. I also got Poser 9 through CP some time later.

Miss B

CV-BEE
*hugs Satira* :squee:
I enjoyed making that tutorial, it was a labor of love. So glad to know that you found it useful, and that you're even recommending it :flower04:
I have the paid for tutorial as well Esha, and it helped me understand a lot of what was going on. Now-a-days folks who do dynamic clothing include a tutorial for beginners, and that's always good, but back then I was totally lost in the Cloth Room.

skylab

Esteemed
Thank you LisaB for that article from Rendo about the future of Poser...it put a smile on my face for sure :)

:shineon:

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
What kind of obscure settings? Color me stupid, but cloth friction, fold resistance etc..are speaking for them self. Basic knowledge in Physic ,some tests on different outfits for the outfit,that's all you need to do. Save your setting and you are good to go.
Most of the vendors anyway set the parameters for their cloths by default.Could really never get why people are freaked out from the clothroom.

I'll admit when I first poked my head in there, it was a bit intimidating. I think it's all the dials and settings. It has a bit of an overwhelming feel at first. It's easy for me to work in there now, but I do remember having a lot of trouble getting used to it at the beginning. I ended up crashing my program a LOT, trying to use it at first. Yes, even after reading the manual. I had to figure out what my computer at the time could and could NOT handle.

It's not hard now, but it definitely was a bit tricky at the start. Fortunately, the learning curve is not very long with it. :)

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
It's not hard now, but it definitely was a bit tricky at the start. Fortunately, the learning curve is not very long with it.

Same with me. I was a bit surprised that in the end, all I needed to know about the Cloth Room was readily available to me in the manual. I also like to know that the Poser community has plenty of free tutorials to help people to get started with different parts of it. There are paid tutorials, too, but I think there are way more that are free - including some I made myself over the years.

However, just knowing what the parameters in the Cloth Room mean would not be as useful as knowing their units and ranges. For example, a Fold Resistance of "5" is a low or a high value? I don't know. What material does the default cloth density of "0.005"represents? I have been using the Cloth Room for years, and I don't know, and I am not sure if anybody does. Someone made a Poser plugin called "Cloth Room Helper" that included an interface with more meaningful controls, like a list of known materials that worked as presets for the various parameters. Considering Poser is a hobbyist tool, perhaps it could had been more user friendly in that sense - just like the Materials Room has "basic" and "advanced" tabs.

Informative article from Renderosity CEO, Tim Choate.

Ohh, so that explains why Rendo has started as a Poser community. I remember later they expanded to support many other 2D and 3D software, but in the very beginning, it was about Poser. They gave the impression that they first plan to move in smaller steps, which probably means that resolving the non-unimesh geometry issue is not an immediate concern. In the meanwhile, Poser compatibility with DS and Reallusion CC3/iClone will remain an issue.

But it's great to hear that they want to implement what people want, which wasn't so easy with SMS due to their lack of a PR. I have a feeling that Poser is more at home with Rendo than it was with other companies. With SMS, it was just one more software they sold. With Rendo, it's what had brought the community together. :)

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I found there are four Dynamic Controls settings I ever need to deal with. Fold Resistance, Shear Resistance, Stretch Resistance, and Cloth Density. I've never needed to use any of those others.

Esha, I've recommended your paid tutorial many, many times. It's information I wish were in the manual. Though, if every feature was covered as thoroughly as in your tutorial, it'd be the size of War and Peace.

eclark1894

Visionary
I'm thinking of starting another thread at Rendo on just HOW the cloth Room could be improved. In other words, just what sort of improvements are people looking for?

AnimaGemini

Living in the clouds
Contributing Artist
I'll admit when I first poked my head in there, it was a bit intimidating. I think it's all the dials and settings. It has a bit of an overwhelming feel at first. It's easy for me to work in there now, but I do remember having a lot of trouble getting used to it at the beginning. I ended up crashing my program a LOT, trying to use it at first. Yes, even after reading the manual. I had to figure out what my computer at the time could and could NOT handle.

It's not hard now, but it definitely was a bit tricky at the start. Fortunately, the learning curve is not very long with it. :)

Agree, the beginning was tricky. At this time, almost nowhere good tutorials for the clothroom. A lots of try and error and crashing PC :somad:
But i loved the results (at last the handful i could archive :D) .So I continue stubbornly to understand it better. Till today I prefer for long outfits the clothroom over rigged .

AnimaGemini

Living in the clouds
Contributing Artist
I found there are four Dynamic Controls settings I ever need to deal with. Fold Resistance, Shear Resistance, Stretch Resistance, and Cloth Density. I've never needed to use any of those others.

Esha, I've recommended your paid tutorial many, many times. It's information I wish were in the manual. Though, if every feature was covered as thoroughly as in your tutorial, it'd be the size of War and Peace.

Esha's cloth tutorial is highly recommended. Absolute a must have .

AnimaGemini

Living in the clouds
Contributing Artist
I was saying "some people" complain, not me. :) I know what these parameters are, but the problem is that they come without units. It's hard to set meaningful values without units.

Yes, this is true. SM had a while ago on their site a tutorial for this with proper settings for silk , linen etc..But it vanished in to the Nirvana .Or at last I could not find it anymore.

Miss B

CV-BEE
I saved something from a tutorial once, though don't recall it if was the one on the SM site, and I've had it since the end of 2017, so it's been a while, but I always liked referring to it when I first started playing in the Cloth Room. I also had some screenshots of what certain settings looked like, which helped give me ideas of what to try, but I can't find those.

ClothSettings.jpg

Miss B

CV-BEE
OK, I found the other one I was thinking of, and it WAS from SM's site, because I saved the web page. The one I posted above I had with my PP11 tutorials, but this one I have with my P9 tutorials, which is why I didn't find it right away.

OK, the image I uploaded above was part of the same tutorial. The other settings weren't an image, but I just took a screenshot of them so folks can see it.

ClothSampleSettings.jpg

The rest of the page had information about what each setting is and does.