• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Poser Script Problems - Help Needed!

Mythocentric

Extraordinary
I’ve just bought two scripts fpr TerraDome 2 from the RDNA sale, i.e. ShaderWorks Eco and Elevations. I’ve followed the recommendations in the Docs and extracted the files to the main Poser 11 Runtime. According to the docs the scripts should be in “The script is correctly installed if you see it in the Scripts Menu > ShaderWorks > FOLDER. In this submenu, you will find the main script. Just select it to run the script!” Unfortunately because me and scripts don’t seem to get on together they’re not and the docs don’t tell you otherwise! In fact they appeared to have disappeared without trace. Not much fun and I would really like to know where they’ve got to or hopefully for someone to help with the correct instillation path then I can load the darn things manually! All assistance will be gratefully received!

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
OK, the first thing is that a newly installed script won't show in Poser until you exit and restart the program. So, step 1 is did you close and re-open Poser after installation?

Mythocentric

Extraordinary
Hi Glitterati!

I loaded both scripts with Poser closed and then started the program. Is it necessary for Poser to be open when I install them?

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I wouldn't think so Mytho, and that is the correct location, as that's where I have all my scripts. Unfortunately, I don't have any of the Shaderworks scripts, so can't help you.

Mythocentric

Extraordinary
Hi Miss B! Just tried a complete manual reload and specified the path right down to Python. Following the path through shows both Eco and Elevations in the poserScript menu under ShaderWorks. Switch on Poser and zilch. Not showing in the Scripts, Window (Python Scripts) or even the Edit menu (Run Python Script! Fortunately I only paid $10 for the pair of them and after all the hassle I'm beginning to think I can live without them! :tantrum::tantrum:

You may need to run your unzipper in administrator mode to overcome UAC virtualization, depending on the age of your unzipper and the OS you're using.

Mythocentric

Extraordinary
You may need to run your unzipper in administrator mode to overcome UAC virtualization, depending on the age of your unzipper and the OS you're using.

Sorry bud! That just went straight over my head! While I'm OK with basic stuff on computers and can usually muddle my way through as far as simple problems go, I'm pretty much a child when things get complicated! Basically assume I'm a thicko!

I'm using WinRar (updated a couple of weeks back) on Windows 8. The computer is about 3-months old, 64-bit and well-specced. I usually have no problem unzipping stuff to Poser my preferred method being to unzip and then install manually whether to the main Poser runtime or to the external runtimes which I normally use for most stuff. I've just tried again after deleting the files the Run from Zip installed and specifying the path as follows. The manual path I used in this case - c:/users/Public/Public Documents/Poser 11 Content/runtime/Python/poser Scripts/ScriptsMenu/ShaderWorks resulted in an emply folder being created in ScriptsMenu called 'ScriptsMenu'! As Alice said, "Curioser and curioser!" I'm seriously beginning to think Scripts don't like me!

This is the installation instructions from the ShaderWorks Docs which are identical for both Eco and Elevations:

"Installation

This product comes with one zip file:
Semi-051_EcoForTD2.zip The zip file contains the scripts.
The scripts must be installed in the main Poser runtime. The zip
file contains the folder structure; you only need to unzip it in the
Poser folder, keeping the folder structure. Restart Poser!
Note
: The Install from Zip Archive in the Content Room won’t install the files in the main Poser folder, but in the
Download runtime. This is not a correct installation and the script won’t work!
The script is correctly installed if you see it in the Scripts Menu  ShaderWorks  FOLDER. In this submenu, you will
find the main script. Just select it to run the script!"

Miss B

CV-BEE
I never install directly to any software, be it Poser, Blender, DS or what-have-you. I usually unzip to a temp folder on my desktop, and then move things over to the proper location within the appropriate software.

IOW, for something like this, I would've unzipped to the temp folder, and then copied the ShaderWorks folder from the zip to the proper location under ScriptsMenu within your Poser installation. I've been doing that sort of installation for scripts and/or products for years because of something like what you're describing, the extra folder that isn't needed.

That way I don't have to deal with the "path", as I'm manually putting the content exactly in the spot where it needs to be, instead of having to rely on my PowerArchiver software placing it in the proper location.

As for Snarly's comment about running WinRar in Administrator mode, you do that by right-clicking your WinRar shortcut icon and choosing Run as administrator, assuming you're on a Windows OS computer. Not sure how you'd do it on a Mac.

The problem is that c:/users/Public/Public Documents/Poser 11 Content/runtime is not the main runtime
The main runtime is at C:\Program Files\Smith Micro\Poser 11\Runtime , assuming a default installation

Miss B

CV-BEE
The problem is that c:/users/Public/Public Documents/Poser 11 Content/runtime is not the main runtime
The main runtime is at C:\Program Files\Smith Micro\Poser 11\Runtime , assuming a default installation
Yes, I forgot about that. I don't use the Public Documents at all, but you're correct. Scripts need to be in the main installation, and not in any external Runtimes folks like to set up for their content.

Mythocentric

Extraordinary

Yes, I forgot about that. I don't use the Public Documents at all, but you're correct. Scripts need to be in the main installation, and not in any external Runtimes folks like to set up for their content.

Thanks Snarlygribble and Miss B. Therein lies the problem no doubt. As I said I was not aware that the main installation is not as expected. Perhaps it would help if the script creators made that clear for us less knowledgable rather than assume the same level of expertise as they. OK! I'm off to make another attempt. Many thanks for your assistance!***

***Please ignore any screams you hear in the next few hours - just in case I get it wrong again! :whistling:

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
When installing Poser, you have a choice of where to install your main Poser content runtime ... including installing the content runtime in Program Files. However, the public docs (or in my case, users / me / my documents) location is recommended by the installer.

Regardless of where you install the Poser content runtime, an additional runtime is still created (or stealth created) in Program Files / Smith Micro / Poser (version) ... which seems only to be used for python nowadays. People who didn't use Poser when Poser installed content automatically in the application runtime may not be aware that runtime even exists.

To me ... the Poser main runtime is where Poser installs Poser content. And for someone who isn't aware that Poser also creates an runtime in Program Files ... they probably aren't going to think that's the main Poser runtime.

Mythocentric

Extraordinary
Yarrooooo! Success! Installed both scripts using the path supplied by snarlygribble and used Elevation to load a terrain map into TerraDome2 which I shall play with shortly! However, I think it's fair to point out to anyone who may purchase them while the sale is on that they do NOT appear in 'Scripts Menu  ShaderWorks  FOLDER' as stated in the Docs but are reached via the File menu > Run Python Script...

Thanks Satira! Thats definitely me! I use the default install path and the Poser Content which comes with the program goes there (...users/public documents/Poser #) and there it stays. Everything else goes into various Runtimes, copies of which are kept on three different drives, 1 internal and 2 backups on external drives (both of which are backed up weekly). Take me anywhere past that and I'm lost! :rolleyes:

Miss B

CV-BEE
AHA, glad you got it to work. I will tell you, and these are scripts I got a long time ago and can't do without. Joe/Netherworks has a little script called Script Servant, which will popup a dockable palette that shows everything in the Scripts menu. I find it handier to have it there in my workspace, rather than having to go up to the menu to get it to drop down so I can see them all. I also have his Scripts Auto Launch, and I have the Scripts Servant as one of the scripts it automatically launches when I open Poser. Below are screenshots of what the Scripts Servant looks like when I launch Poser, and then how I just drag it where I want it and dock it while I work in Poser. These aren't in his store here as yet, but you might want to think about them when they show up.

ScriptsServant.jpg

Mythocentric

Extraordinary
OK! Scripts loaded and working....except!!!! It appears I need a script called Advanced Shaders to take advantage of the supplied textures, so I went back to RDNA. I found Advanced Shader Loader (which has since disappeared) but no Advanced Shader script. Any suggestions as to where I might find it (apart from the physically impossible) would be gratefully recieved! Cie la vie!

Mythocentric

Extraordinary
Typical! I got the name wrong! I'm not sure Miss B, in the Docs he just refers to his Advanced Shaders script, but I've popped into RDNA and bought it just in case. Hopefully that should solve the problem. (He says with fingers, toes and eyes crossed!) :thankyou2: