• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Poser pose symmetry doesn't support Dawn

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
When you go to Figure -> Pose Symmetry -> Swap Right and Left, it expects the figure to have a skeleton like V4's, with only 2 spine bones, a 1 single neck bone. Anything more than this gets ignored, which makes it to fail with Dawn. It ignores pelvis, abdomen2, chest2, neck2 bones, so those are not mirrored with the rest of the body. I have reported this to SMS.

All other Poser scripts I have tried do the same, always expecting legacy V4 skeletons. They don't work with modern figures. I have contacted Netherworks to add a working pose symmetry option to his Creator's Toolbox.

Is there a way around this besides manually fixing the mirrored poses?

ockham

No, those scripts won't do it. They just add some extra variations on the regular Swap functions, like swapping for all frames. It looks like I tried to make a more general swapper back in 2005 or so. It's partially done. I'll see if it can be finished or revised.

eclark1894

Visionary
No, those scripts won't do it. They just add some extra variations on the regular Swap functions, like swapping for all frames. It looks like I tried to make a more general swapper back in 2005 or so. It's partially done. I'll see if it can be finished or revised.
Ockham, someone in the SM forum wanted to parent a camera to a Walk Path, but you can't do that. I know you had (have?) a script that let's you parent an object to a path. Would that allow you to parent a camera to that path?

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I think perhaps those pose mirroring tools might be specific to a certain skeleton layout? They all fail to mirror Dawn poses. That sort of makes sense, since the tool needs to know what bone it is processing at the moment, so it knows how to mirror it. For example, mirroring an arm is different than a leg, because of differences in the bone orientation - it has to mirror different axes.

I wonder if Dawn would require a special profile for pose mirroring, or if this be done automatically? Probably only the guys who know how Poser exposes the bones to Python can answer that.

ockham

"For example, mirroring an arm is different than a leg, because of differences in the bone orientation - it has to mirror different axes."

Yes. That's the hard part. I remember trying to solve that problem back in 2006 or so. Haven't yet found the script where I solved it, but I'm pretty sure it's around somewhere.

ockham

Ockham, someone in the SM forum wanted to parent a camera to a Walk Path, but you can't do that. I know you had (have?) a script that let's you parent an object to a path. Would that allow you to parent a camera to that path?

After looking through old stuff, I think not. Pretty sure the Walk Path isn't directly accessible to Python. You'd have to get a real figure to walk the path, then parent a camera to the figure.

My SteadiCam script would help to link a camera to the figure without having the camera bounce around as the figure walks.

http://ockhamsbungalow.com/python/SteadiCam.zip

HaiGan

Energetic
Contributing Artist
Yeah, Poser's pose mirroring doesn't cover various HW figure body parts, including Harry's mane, tail and fetlock dials. I manually adjusted all those for the sets I made, but now I have a pose exporter from DS to Poser so I might try swapping in DS (which allows a lot of fine tuning) and importing back into Poser (I prefer Poser for creating poses, I'm more experienced with the interface).

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Yeah, Poser's pose mirroring doesn't cover various HW figure body parts, including Harry's mane, tail and fetlock dials. I manually adjusted all those for the sets I made, but now I have a pose exporter from DS to Poser so I might try swapping in DS (which allows a lot of fine tuning) and importing back into Poser (I prefer Poser for creating poses, I'm more experienced with the interface).

Pose symmetry actually works in DS, but how to you export a pose from there to Poser? I have a CR2 exporter, but what about PZ2?

HaiGan

Energetic
Contributing Artist
Pose symmetry actually works in DS, but how to you export a pose from there to Poser? I have a CR2 exporter, but what about PZ2?

Poser Format Exporter (PFE). My initial test run worked okay, but I haven't tried testing its limits yet.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
You now, every time I see PFE, I think of Ralf Sessler's (D3D) Poser File Editor. Since I don't use DS regularly any more, I keep forgetting about the Poser Format Exporter.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I THOUGHT I had PFE installed, but it wasn't. Like Miss B, I haven't used it in a long time, so I don't know how to find it in DS. In the readme file it says to look for it at Studio > Scripts > PFE, but that doesn't make any sense to me. Any hints? :)

Miss B

CV-BEE
Hmmmm, well I can't necessarily find it under Scripts either, however, I did find a ReadMe's folder under the Scripts folder, and it contains the ReadMe_8040_1.5_Poser Format Exporter.html file, and there's a images folder that contains the thumbnail for the PFE.

Now that was in my DS 3 Advanced install, and I didn't see anything like that in my DS 4.0 Pro install, but I would assume if that ReadMe's folder exists, I must've installed it, but where it exists, I can't say. That said, when I click on the Scripts menu in DS3A, there's a link to the PFE DS3. Now that sounds like it was a DS 3 version. In my DS 4.0 there isn't a Scripts menu, and it isn't listed under the Tools menu, so not sure if there was a later version, or if you could use the DS3 version with DS4.

Sorry Ken, that's all I could find.

Miss B

CV-BEE
OK, I just re-checked my DS 4.0 install, and under the Plugins folder, there are several exporter and importer .DLL files, and one of them is dzcr2exporter.dll. There's also exporters for fbx, obj, and a pz3 importer.

How those are accessed from within the DS 4.0 UI, I don't know, or just don't use it often enough to remember. I usually only use that when working with Genesis1/V5/M5, as that's the only characters I have installed in that Runtime.

Miss B

CV-BEE
I FOUND IT!!!!!

I just looked again in both DS 3 and DS 4, and it's under either Content or My Library > Scripts > Utilities folder. :D

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
It works! Thanks, Miss B! I was sure there was an easier way to launch the PFE script. I am switching to the Scripts IDE tab, and the browsing to locate the script, and then executing it. Isn't there an easier way?

Miss B

CV-BEE
I wish I knew. I just looked for the file. In DS 4.0 I couldn't find it in the UI, as there's no scripts menu like there is in DS 3. I would think it would be in the Tools menu, but I didn't see it.

Oh, and DS 4.0 doesn't have a Scripts Tab. That's probably where I'd find it if I did.