• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Poser 9 materials and other Poser versions

DigiDotz

Adventurous
I've had a kind offer to convert some shoes I made for Daz Studio to Poser, so we can then submit Daz and Poser versions to HW.
If I could manage to learn Materials in Poser 9 will they look the same in other versions of Poser?

Also if the shoes are rigged in a later version than Poser 9 will I even be able to load them into Poser 9 to do the materials?

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
So materials made for Poser 9 will work for any higher version of Poser, although they may or may not work in Superfly (the render added in Poser 11). Which isn't necessarily a problem as long as you aren't saying that they do work in Superfly. Lots of people still use Firefly even in Poser 11.

As for rigging yes it should. My understanding of the big change between Poser 9 and the later versions was the Poser 9 was that last version that didn't have subD. This isn't needed for rigging, and as long the files aren't saved with any of the subD settings on/used, you should be able to use them just fine in Poser 9.

Hope that helps.

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
I've had a kind offer to convert some shoes I made for Daz Studio to Poser, so we can then submit Daz and Poser versions to HW.
If I could manage to learn Materials in Poser 9 will they look the same in other versions of Poser?

Also if the shoes are rigged in a later version than Poser 9 will I even be able to load them into Poser 9 to do the materials?

Your materials should work fine, even in Superfly as long as you don't go crazy with Alt Specular settings that will blow out the materials in Superfly.

As for higher versions, you will receive an error message saying the file has been saved using a higher version but Poser will try to load it anyway. To prevent this, you can use a plain text editor and change the version number in your CR2.

It's right at the top of the CR2 just change this number to the lowest version you want to use the item in:
{

version
{
number 9
build 33735
}

Don't even worry about the build number as that's internal to Poser and won't produce an error.

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
Thanks for the tips!

+ aww ..good find but no cash until monday

Actually, I just looked and upgrading P9Pro to P11Pro is only $41 and pennies. (Game Dev and Pro to Pro upgrade.)

But, I hear ya about budgeting...........been there, done that.

eclark1894

Visionary

In 1972, a crack commando was sent to prison by a internet court for a crime he didn't commit. This man promptly escaped from a maximum-security internet stockade to the Los Angeles underground. Today, still wanted by Net Neutrality, he survives as a soldier of fortune. If you have a problem... if no one else can help... and if you can find him because the ebots don't work... maybe you can ask... The Bagginsbill.:coding:

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Further to what Traci already stated, if your DS materials for the shoes are done with texture maps plugged into the Diffuse, Specular (or Alt_Specular), Bump/Normal, etc., you should be fine. As Traci mentioned, Specular needs tweaking, but except for "maybe" a little tweaking of Ambient (which I found when using Poser products in DS2, DS3A and DS4.0P), your textures should be fine.

Where it becomes a problem, is when you create your materials with Shader nodes, as the DS Shader bricks are not compatible with Poser's Shader nodes. They are two different systems, and as Earl noted, there's nothing Bagginsbill doesn't know about Poser Shaders. ;)

If you have a problem... if no one else can help... and if you can find him because the ebots don't work... maybe you can ask... The Bagginsbill.

Oh, and as far as materials working from version to version in Poser, materials created in a lower version (e.g., P9 through PP2014) should have no problems in P11/PP11. It's going backwards that might be a problem, because earlier versions don't have the new PhysicalSurface and CyclesSurface root nodes.

Last edited:

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
:eek:!!!!!!!!!
:rofl:

Seriously though, if there's anything to know about Poser, BB knows it. :)

You should check out his "File Cabinet" where he has a huuuuuuuuge amount of freebies. If nothing else, grab his EnvSphere. Works well even in Poser versions lower than the new P11/PP11. I like it better than PP11's Construct.

File Cabinet - Bagginsbill

Minyassa

Enthusiast
I'd plan on going for Poser 11 anyway--you can't use any of the new HW animals in P9! I will hope you find a good sale. I picked it up for $50 at Rendo a few weeks ago, keep an eye out there.