• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Music From The Hive

Sunfire

One Busy Little Bee
QAV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Oh... forgot to say... that if you're ever gonna power slide a battleship, you MUST have AC/DC blaring through the coms! I really can't decide on that movie if my favorite part is the music or that one move where they drop anchor and power slide that sucker to avoid being hit while lining up their own shot. (At least I think it's power sliding they do, it's what I call it anyway.)

Sunfire

One Busy Little Bee
QAV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Probably the same way I know I forgot to mention tons of bands and music types including liking a nice piano now and then. Just too much, wanders off humming bits of 'Twas a Dark and Stormy Night.

Mythocentric

Extraordinary
It is indeed Lisa. Started with the Outlaws, worked as a sessions musician, backed various pop singers including Heinz, (he played that guitar on Just Like Eddie). After Deep Purple he joined the late, much missed rock vocalist Ronnie James Dio to form Rainbow, probably one of the most underrated rock bands of all time! One heck of a long and varied career and a very powerful presence on any stage! :snoopydance:

Sunfire

One Busy Little Bee
QAV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I forgot to mention my brother in law's band, Mumbletypeg I've never heard them, as he started playing with them after we moved to Michigan, but I've heard they're good.

And that reminds me that I forgot to mention I also like the big band sound or the occasional waltz. Glenn Miller and Lawrence Welk... a one and a two...

LisaB

HW3D Vice President & Queen Bee
Staff member
Co-Founder
Just for fun this is Ritchie Blackmoor at the beginning with The Outlaws playing Law and Order then with Rainbow, a masterclass guitar solo and the amazing voice of Ronnie James Dio performing Stargazer from the album Rainbow Rising. A great personal favourite!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiZfY48ftcM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVXy1OhaERY

Don't it just want to make you throw your unmentionables at the stage? :whistling:

LOL The first video was made the year I was born so my unmentionables were probably, well, unmentionable!

The second one looks to be in the 80s. Where was I to have never heard of Rainbow? That's an awesome song!

(We have an embed feature for YouTube videos here, when you're posting, look for the icon that looks like two pieces of movie film and use that to embed the video.)

Mythocentric

Extraordinary
Thanks for the info Lisa. I'll make sure I use it in future!

I think Rainbow got a bit lost amongst the Power Ballad outfits and the whole glam rock scene. Pity, because they were an awesomely powerful band live, well-known amongst the cognoscenti and little known outside. It didn't help that they were fairly short-lived with Dio leaving to join Black Sabbath after they booted Ozzie out. Rainbow Rising is one of my favourite albums and well worth looking up. Another stand-out track on it is Tarot Woman. The rest just excellent! As Rae says, you have to love Ronnie's voice. One of the finest in rock history!

P.S. I shall decline the urge to wiggle me pelvis. At my age it would probably fall off! :whistling:

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
HEH... I don't listen to CD's. I mostly listen to internet radio.. SOMA FM .... right now I'm listening to the "Secret Agent" channel and it's just so cool. It's like jazz, a little rock, a little ambient, a little bit of everything. Other SOMA channels I love is 'Lush' and 'Underground 80's' ...

From iTunes I do have a few artists I love to sing along too as I use that as stress therapy... John Denver, Fleetwood Mac, George Benson, Gordon Lightfoot, Lizz Wright, Simon and Garfunkel to name a few.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I listen to both music and internet radio in more or less equal amounts. The problem is that I seem to be locked in the past, for I find it difficult to find new stuff that I like. My iPod is filled with Carpenters, Queen, ACDC, Billy Joel, David Bowie, Iron Maiden, Allan Parson, Joe Satriani, and so on - nothing much from this era.

I also have music from specific countries I have lived in that the rest of the will never know, like Brazil, Japan and Israel. In that aspect, it is interesting to note that those artists are never acknowledged by the rest of the world because of language barriers, no matter how talented they are, or for how long they have been famous in their own countries.

In one episode, I was taken to a bar in Israel with a live band, and I commented they were actually "pretty good", just to find out they were a rather famous band with celebrity status - total strangers to me. LOL

Zaarin

Brilliant
I also have music from specific countries I have lived in that the rest of the will never know...Israel
Oh, I happen to be a big fan of Ofra Haza: I think she had the most incredible voice in the world. Unfortunately, I'm not a big fan of the 80s/electronica/dance music vibe she had to a lot of her music, but the songs on Kirya and 50 Gates of Wisdom are wonderful--and of course her music from The Prince of Egypt. And her version of "Yerushalayim Shel Zahav (Jerusalem of Gold)" is the best. Such a shame she died so young. :(

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
To this day they still use Haza's version of Yerushalayim Shel Zahav in most official events and TV shows, even when she has passed away years ago. There are many other talented Israeli singers who will remain only known locally, as well as Japanese and Brazilian performers. Such a pity.

Zaarin

Brilliant
To this day they still use Haza's version of Yerushalayim Shel Zahav in most official events and TV shows, even when she has passed away years ago. There are many other talented Israeli singers who will remain only known locally, as well as Japanese and Brazilian performers. Such a pity.
The same is true even here in America. I listen to a lot of indie music, and a lot of them will never get the recognition they deserve. :(

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I guess this is true in most countries. Even people who are famous now, some have started as street performers. Most of the others will never get beyond streets performances. Their best chance are the talent TV shows. :)

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE
Oh, so many singers/groups I love that you've all mentioned. Will have to go listen to some of these!

We live out on Washington's Olympic Peninsula and have an AMAZING group of local musicians. Spent much of the day yesterday at an event called Jammin in the Park, where we listened to some of them. The best part is that they are ALL the nicest people, and we've gotten to know them and some of their family over the years. For the last few year, I've had the pleasure of being the MC at a local event in October where many of them play, so get to introduce them. Looking forward to that next month!

Many of the musicians are in several bands (as you'll see here - 3 of the 4 members are in both Joy in Mudville and the Crocs). Quality's not fabulous with some of the live ones). They often merge and change from one group to another, too ;)

Here are just a few in case anyone's interested:

Witherow - sweethearts Dylan & Abby Mae - Abby's got one of the most beautiful voices around - often gives us chills. They write all their material. Haven't seen them for awhile - they've been on a US tour this summer.

The Crocs (they played yesterday)
The Crocs " Listen To Her Heart"

Joy in Mudville (also played yesterday - 3 of the 4 members are the same, but very different music)
Joy In Mudville with "You Make Me Feel Like Dancing"
Joy in Mudville - Arts and Draughts
(I'm probably somewhere in the above very long but not so good quality video as we were there ;))
Joy In Mudville - AIn't the Buyin' Kind
Request Rejected
Joy in Mudville - Down on the Corner 2015

Fat Chance (all live and many don't show how good these guys are)
Fat Chance Band Port Angeles - YouTube

Zaarin

Brilliant
I guess this is true in most countries. Even people who are famous now, some have started as street performers. Most of the others will never get beyond streets performances. Their best chance are the talent TV shows. :)
I watched exactly one season of American Idol (can I just say that they have and have always had horrible judges, and that Steve Tyler is a total creeper) and two seasons of The Voice (I'm not even a fan of Maroon 5, but Adam is awesome!). From these I have picked up a few artists. From the only season of AI I watched, I became a huge fan of Haley Reinhart, who these days you might know from Postmodern Jukebox, which does jazzy covers of pop songs. Not from the season I watched, but I'm also an enormous fan of Phillip Phillips: he has such a unique voice and style. From The Voice, my favorites were Amy Vachal, Korin Bukowski (she has such a sweet voice--it's a shame that Gwen tried so hard to...well...turn her into Gwen o_O ), and Jordan Smith (who has a really special talent for connecting with the song and the audience, completely aside from his unique voice). The only artists I really connected with last season were cut early, and I really really dislike Miley Cyrus, so I probably won't watch this season. :( I liked The Voice better than American Idol, but I still can't help but feel that it's rigged. :cautious: Still, anything that gives new artists some exposure is a good thing.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Sometimes I think those TV shows might be rigged indeed. Anything commercial is susceptible to $$$ influences. ;p For good or for bad, sometimes all these guys need is a chance to show up. :)