• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Morphing Fantasy Dress for Dawn

eclark1894

Visionary
Actually, I've been thinking about this for a while. Is there already one out there for her and if so, where can I find it? Also, I'm wondering if the title "Morphing Fantasy dress" a trademark title of the dress DAZ put out or if it is just more of a descriptive term than anything else?

Should I use it, or steer clear of it? Obviously, the dress would be a brand new mesh, and rigged for Dawn, so no worries there, and I know the MFD came out back when V3 was Queen of the Poserverse, but does DAZ consider the name to be their intellectual property?

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I don't know about the intellectual property aspect, but I seem to remember a dress I saw at RDNA with a very similar/same name.

OK, I just checked my RDNA list of purchases, and it was called Morphing Fantasy Gown, and it was for V4. I don't recall seeing one for any other character in other stores, but I didn't shop in all of them back in the day, just the 3 big stores. Not sure if there's one for Dawn, as I think I might have considered it if I had seen one.

3WC

Engaged
Contributing Artist
Might be a good idea to have a different name just to avoid confusion, since Daz's MFD is so well known.

eclark1894

Visionary
Might be a good idea to have a different name just to avoid confusion, since Daz's MFD is so well known.
Well, actually, I'll probably drop the Morphing part anyway since it'll be a hybrid. Half rigged and half dynamic is what I'm thinking. If that fails, I could always just make it all dynamic.

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
I certainly haven't seen an equivalent for the MFD for Dawn. I was kind of curious about the intellectual property thing, so I checked out the Daz website and looked at the v3 version of the MFD. There's no sign of a trademark there, and the thing about trademarks, is that you have to defend them, and make them known. They are also something you have to pay for (at least in the US) and I doubt Daz does that.

That being said, I wouldn't use the name, because people might think that they could use textures from the other MFDs on your dress. I'd be excited to see what you come up however.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Considering how many of the products in their store is owned by them alone, I doubt they'd take out a trademark on every one of them. Their software products are copyrighted, but not trademarked either, as far as I can tell.

eclark1894

Visionary
I was kind of hoping that Chris and/or Lisa would chime in and say something since they're the most likely to know about the trademarking thing.

Miss B

CV-BEE
You could always PM Lisa and point her to this thread and see what she thinks.

Dakorillon (IMArts)

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
You could always call it "Fantasic Morphing Outfit" Since it's likely to be more that just a dress and more than just fantasy.

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
If I might make a suggestion........make it a Top and Skirt and the possibilities of addons are infinite. Pants, short skirt, long skirt, southern belle gown, bo peep, and on and on.

Dakorillon (IMArts)

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
It might be harder to get the textures to match, though if it's skirt and top, rather than one long dress. But, making parts invisible and having the add ons would be wonderful!

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
It would be nice to have a dress as well as separates though. Like Dax said it would be harder to match the textures but also if you want to turn it dynamic it would be good to have a full dress. Just my opinion fwiw.

Roberta

Eager
I'd love to see a similar product to the MFD thought for Dawn. Now that I've got a little more familiar with the dynamic clothing, it would be very nice to have an option dynamic of such a package. (and of course it would also be interesting "expansion" packet as was the case for the MFD to V4)

AetherDream

Breathing Life into Characters
Contributing Artist
I would definitely love to see a dress that had a lot of morphing options, movement and add ons the way MFD does. Of course, and I could be wrong, but I think the title or term MFD for such a dress is probably protected and would best be named something else.

eclark1894

Visionary
The basic concept is pretty darn easy. Put some clothes on Dawn, then animate her from her starting position to her end pose. The clothes should fall naturally and look more realistic. Obviously there's more to it than that, but as I said that's the basic concept.

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
I have a dress and robe in my stash of unfinished stuff for Dawn.... I was thinking of donating as freebies but I'm like a digital pack-rat, I hate letting my work go like that! lol

ScreenHunter_277 Oct. 11 08.46.jpg
ScreenHunter_278 Oct. 11 08.47.jpg

Miss B

CV-BEE
Oh, that looks nice Richard. I especially like the full sleeved robe over the dress. ;)

Both would work well as dynamic.

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
Thank you Miss B. Was one of the deciding factors for me that I had a handle on modeling! Esp fun learning to make concentric areas for the breast areas....