• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

WIP MEC4D - Creations for Dawn 2 and Dusk 2 , work in progress

MEC4D

Zbrushing through the topology
Contributing Artist
Looking gorgeous Cath, and thanks for the mesh screenshots as well. As someone who tries modelling good clothing, I like seeing the mesh before I purchase something, but most vendors don't include them.
Thank you @Miss B

Everyone should include the wire-frame and one smooth shaded shot , so you know things looks proper , good shading/normals and proper topology . Especially with MR .
For MR I like to add the extra poly count because if you want to transfer the rigging to your clothing , low poly MR is a bad choice for that

My rigging projection templates will be very dense for finer weight maps adjusting and transfer/projection.

Also for DS users, it is recommended that your own clothing OBJ you using for projection have subdivision ON for the best results before using Transfer Utility .

unreal

Noteworthy
I suspected that Dana .. but I wanted just to be clear about
and yes TriAx are so much better as they are complex but also need more time to work with.. however with General weight mapping creating rigging templates is not that easy as the JCMs will never transfer to the clothing so you have to recreate them all manually .. double work .
so true! JCMs are so brutal they can make a strong person weep like a baby.

MEC4D

Contributing Artist
Great added value you are creating here, so that other artists can get a head start on content for Dawn 2.

Seriously beautiful and smart work Cath!!
Thank you Chris , I made so much stuff in the last 14 months, I can't eat it all by myself lol
however making 1 product for Dawn 2 on a weekly basis for one year long is still in my challenge .

xyer0

Brilliant
Thank you Chris , I made so much stuff in the last 14 months, I can't eat it all by myself lol
however making 1 product for Dawn 2 on a weekly basis for one year long is still in my challenge .
Oooh! What an amazing vision. You must have been so misunderstood when you were growing up (I'm assuming, because I can only imagine that you were born this way, rather than acquiring these mental traits). Did you ever think: Maybe they're right, and I'm wrong? Or did you just keep discovering that you were right, and they were always wrong?

MEC4D

Contributing Artist
Oooh! What an amazing vision. You must have been so misunderstood when you were growing up (I'm assuming, because I can only imagine that you were born this way, rather than acquiring these mental traits). Did you ever think: Maybe they're right, and I'm wrong? Or did you just keep discovering that you were right, and they were always wrong?
I don't know how to approach the answer here .. I am not ready for writing my biography yet ... :laugh::p
You have it or you don't .. mental traits are formed by very early age .. the environment shapes the Young character and can't be adjusted later in time. The behavior yes , but not the character itself as it is writing already in stone and guide the person to the rest of their path .
I have a very good sense of prediction , and usually I am right , sooner or later... but only if I am very confident with the topic .

I would tell you more but I will have to charge .. :laugh:

unreal

Noteworthy
Thank you @Miss B

Everyone should include the wire-frame and one smooth shaded shot , so you know things looks proper , good shading/normals and proper topology . Especially with MR .
For MR I like to add the extra poly count because if you want to transfer the rigging to your clothing , low poly MR is a bad choice for that

My rigging projection templates will be very dense for finer weight maps adjusting and transfer/projection.

Also for DS users, it is recommended that your own clothing OBJ you using for projection have subdivision ON for the best results before using Transfer Utility .
This is something i always wondered. I’ve always wondered at the algorithm used for transfer.

I would think it would work best if the joints of the target were only perpendicular to the source, regardless of the mesh between. At least for close fitting.

MEC4D

Contributing Artist
I wrote a reply, but is is gone somehow :(

in this case it is all about the weight maps transfer and base bone structure . Everything else just follows lol
All it do just copy the whole structure of the rigged figure to a new mesh , so how dense is the target how better chance for a proper copy , even if the join group do not set exactly on the right spot on the target the weight maps will fix it , for that reason lower poly model target will have less weight mapped data to be copied. Closer fitting clothing will have more issues with it than lose clothing .

unreal

Noteworthy
That's the $1000 question. How are they calculating the resultant weight map? For each new vertex, find the 3 closest source mesh vertices, then weighted average them. In C++ for a Poser figure, that would be very fast, even brute force. And there are a lot of optimizations you could do to make it faster. Once you calculate the influence map, you can copy as many morphs as you want. The map doesn't change.