• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Is it possible to select more than one surface at a time in Poser?

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Thanks Lyne, I have Poser Pro 10 and 11...totally skipped nine. The last version I had before 10 was 7.

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
Lyne, I will make sure it works for 2014 and Poser 11. I'm in the process of watching the webinar on using the physical surface to allow for differences between the two renderers and it looks like it should automatically work in earlier versions. Haven't tried it yet but hopefully it will work as they say.

Hey Pen, you may have already figured this out, but just in case you didn't to save you some time and pain. . . If you are using Poser 11 Firefly can render the Physical Surface Node. But. . . if someone is using say 2014, they won't be able to use those materials. So there's a couple things you can do. The Physical Surface Node will work for any version of Poser. You can however have both a Poser Surface Node setup for FF and a Physical Surface Node setup for SF on the same material. If someone is in an older version of Poser, it will just ignore the non-FF node, which is great. So much of the time you can just set up one set of materials, although they might have two root nodes in them.

Just don't want you to get to a point where you send it to someone who has 2014 to test and find none of the materials work.

phdubrov

Noteworthy
Contributing Artist
Bought XS and compared with MatWriterPanel. MWP far easier in use in most cases, and even can adjust multiple PoserSurfaces at once, but XS shines in one critical (for me) detail — you can adjust more then one node at time deep in nodetrees across matzones, objects, inside compaunds and so on. Without Mat Room. So now I run both.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Thanks for the info GG...I ended up using ezskin for firefly and at the moment I've added in a physical surface for Superfly and linked the nodes to that which seems to be working okay in Superfly. I do have one problem which I'm finding puzzling though. In the preview screen for Firefly it looks strange, like the face texture is not set up the same, I have tried copying and pasting from the body node and then changing the maps back but everytime I change the bump map it looks strange again. I'm not sure why this is happening...as you can see the Superfly render is fine. This happens only with the firefly render and preview.
Render preview via printscreen firefly
problem with materials.jpg

Actual render firefly
render seamline issue.png

Superfly render
superfly render.png

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
I'm not sure why this is happening...as you can see the Superfly render is fine. This happens only with the firefly render and preview.

Hmm. . . so I will say when it comes to the preview mode in Poser, I often see seems show up and textures look bad. In fact certain setups for the Physical Surface Node and Cycles Node will just show as white, and won't preview at all. However, I do see that you have a seam that is showing up in the FF render.

You said that changing the bump map seems to cause the issue, however that might not really be what's causing it. I assume you are changing the bump map because you have copied and pasted the texture of the body, and it brought the wrong bump with it, and you are adding the face's bump map. I think maybe the issue is there anyway, you just can't tell because the face looks wrong in other ways with the wrong bump map.

My experience with Firefly is more limited, but I will say my first instinct is that maybe the issue is really in the SSS. Firefly handles it much differently that Superfly, and it might be there is enough of a difference in how 'solid' the face is vs. the rest of the head, that it is rendering differently enough to cause that seam.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Hmmm...after seeing your and PhDubrov's post in Kobalt's thread I've pretty much decided to do separate shaders for the two render engines. It actually works with just a base network and with just the Poser Surface in both renderers I just want to improve on the base network. I know there isn't a seam there so, yes I think you're right and there is something else happening. It only shows up after the bump map is added so it probably is something to do with the shading and like you say only becomes apparent after it is added.

Thanks for the help...at least I know what to do to finish these mats now.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
One more question...I've completed separate mats for Firefly and I've moved on to the Superfly mats.

I've noticed that the materials will work with or without having the poser surface node in there. What I need to know is there any reason it needs to stay in the network or is it okay to delete it?

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
One more question...I've completed separate mats for Firefly and I've moved on to the Superfly mats.

I've noticed that the materials will work with or without having the poser surface node in there. What I need to know is there any reason it needs to stay in the network or is it okay to delete it?

No you can definitely delete it. It's just clutter.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
thanks...so one more question...Satira told me it's only the last update that allows it to be deleted. If people are still not updated will they be able to use the mats?

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
So it's only being able to remove the node that has changed? The way the nodes function is still the same?

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Yes. Now when you copy and paste, you can delete the PoserSurface that no longer has any nodes connected to it. Makes it less confusing.

NapalmArsenal

Distinguished
Contributing Artist
You might check and see if your gamma correction is checked in the render settings too some mats really don't like it ah and do you have the skinning method set?

If you have a bunch of materials like for an outfit or some such, It's easier to just set your base mat and then go into the .mc6 file and find replace. Then, load the material files add your tweaks and do the thumbnails. You can copy from object to object too if you want to save a material setting and just replace the mats. So you could just replace it that way too.

Ermm Ok.........., I have a question. I know it's very doable in Daz, and I know that you can select nodes in Poser and only save a single mat. To save just say a transmap would you detach and delete all the nodes except the transmap node and save as a single material?

It's kind of frustrating not being able to select more than one surface zone in Poser. I think that is one area that Daz has a slight edge.

Last edited:

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
You can save partials but I'm not sure how you go about anything that you would be applying over the top of something like a visibility mat.

Netherworks Matwriter will let you select more than one material. I've been using it for Deidre. I set up one of the surfaces like face and then copy and paste it to ears and lips for example. You may still need to adjust individual layers sometimes but it works quite nicely. When I did the skin I did one surface, copied and pasted it to the rest and the changed the maps for one surface like collars and then did the other surfaces that used that map by copy and paste. It certainly makes a huge difference.

NapalmArsenal

Distinguished
Contributing Artist
Yet another reason I must invest!! =)

In the preview setting it looks as though your bump is reading high might also be the displacement setting needs to be turned down around the face area. Just something to check.

Looking good though!!

Last edited:

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
One of the things that drove me crazy was forgetting to set the correct Gamma on bump/displacement/normal maps.

The Gamma on anything BUT diffuse (color) maps should always be set to 1.00
BumpGamma.jpg