• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Installing Poser 11 to another drive

Minyassa

Enthusiast
I am having a devil of a time with getting this program and its runtimes straightened out, frustrated almost to the point of tears today after a fourth installation gone wrong.

Here's the situation: I have my OS on a SSD which is my C: drive. I do NOT want to put Poser or ANY of its content on C: drive--it's only 250G, I just want to keep the OS and nothing else there. So, okay, I install Poser to my E: drive where I want it to live. It asks me where I want to put my runtime. If I put it in the standard place, it makes a folder on my C drive where I don't want it to be. If I put it somewhere else, I can't find my durn content. I am brand new to Windows 7 and its library system and I have not got a clue what I'm doing and Poser 11's new runtime arrangement is not making this easy on me! Haaaaaaaaaaalp! Could someone please explain how I can get this to work and have my runtime on the same disk as Poser and actually findable? I'm feeling dumber by the minute!

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Well, I'm not sure if this will help, but I'm on Windows 7 Pro, and because my SSD is 750GB, I have my apps installed on the C: drive.

That said, however, I do NOT have any of my apps, be they 2D or 3D installed in either of the Program Files folders (32-bit or 64-bit). What I do is install all my 2D apps to a directory called 2D Applications, and my 3D apps to a folder called 3D Applications. Obviously there are some apps that don't give you that option, but none of my 3D apps do that.

Then when I installed my Poser 9, and eventually PoserPro 11, I "told" the installations exactly where I wanted my Runtimes to be, within my C:\3D Applications\Poser 9 and Poser 11 directories. Poser's Library should be able to "find" the Runtimes then. My PoserPro 11 sees both of those Runtimes, as well as the Runtime from my old DAZStudio 3 Advanced installation.

Minyassa

Enthusiast
I wonder if the problem is in my putting Poser itself on another drive, then. This last time, I tried putting the Poser 11 Content folder directly into the Poser folder and when I opened it there was no ground, light or anything visible. I do not like having a whole separate place I have to install things but it looks like that's what it wants me to do. Was hoping to make it more like the old Poser with everything contained in one place. >.<

Miss B

CV-BEE
Did you see nothing when you opened a new scene? The difference between Poser 11/PoserPro 11 and earlier versions is, the Ground plane we're all used to isn't the default anymore. Now the new Construct, which is a one piece ground and background, is what opens with a new scene. Are you not seeing that either?

Minyassa

Enthusiast
It was nothing at all the last time, I've seen the new scene and this time everything was just missing entirely. I'm reinstalling again.

Minyassa

Enthusiast
It came up normal when I reinstalled it. Then I set my preferences. All was well until I changed the interface SIZE to 1.25, which worked properly for all of the UI components but again blanked my view. But when I went to put it back to 1.00 I put in a typo and now my screen is at 1000% of the normal UI, including the General Preferences window, and Tab will not work to navigate around, nor will the arrow buttons, and restore to factory settings does not work to fix this so I can't reach the UI size to change it because it's off of my screen and I'm about to just rip all of my hair right out. I hate to have to reinstall this whole stupid thing again because of a blankety TYPO.

Minyassa

Enthusiast
I uninstalled it. I was completely unable to find Poser.ini or preference files. Either somehow they deleted themselves or they've been put someplace utterly bizarre that makes no sense. This time I'm going to just blow off all of the content installing I already did (AGAIN) and make sure I delete everything Poser-related before I try putting it in again.

Miss B

CV-BEE
The Poser.ini and such files are in C:\Users\YourName\AppData\Roaming\Poser Pro\11. That's the directory where all those type of files, including the UI preferences are saved, not within the Poser installation.

I don't know if those files are automatically deleted when you uninstall, so I would go look and delete them before reinstalling PP11.

Minyassa

Enthusiast
I did a search on my install drive and deleted every folder that had anything Poser in it. Now to try this again. Sigh.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Hopefully this time all will work as it should.
FingersCrossed.png

Minyassa

Enthusiast
So far so good. I have not messed with the preferences yet at all. I may have to just lean in and squint a lot, because it seems that the setting that was doing the damage was increasing the size of the UI. Dang old eyes.

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
So I'm not a windows person, but here's one thought. After you install Poser and it's content to where ever you want. Open up Poser. If your just getting a blank scene go to the Library window and click on the plus button by the books at the top:

Of course yours probably won't say Poser 11 Content, because you haven't gotten it to find that library yet. But anyway, that's the add library button. You should be able to add a runtime that you've put anywhere. So add in the normal default Poser Runtimes.

I would try just quitting and reopening the program at that point. If poser is smart enough, it may just find all the default stuff for the default scene and load it in. If it doesn't you can make a customer new scene (I do this anyway, because I don't need Andy to load every time I open Poser, plus I have a set of lights I prefer as my default).

Once you've set up the default scene you like, go back into the preferences in the Document tab choose Launch to Preferred Scene, and then click on Set Preferred Scene. That should set your default scene to be whatever you have loaded.

Hope that helps.

Minyassa

Enthusiast
So far I've managed to set a preferred scene so far as what I want in it when it loads, where the cameras are, etc. but I have been afraid to mess with the UI size. I really think that's what screwed it up before. I have a bigger problem now with content that I am going to need a new thread for. :(

Miss B

CV-BEE
Glad GG posted about adding Runtimes to the Library. I totally forgot to mention that in any of my earlier posts.

I do have to say, I've never noticed there's a setting for the UI size, but just checked, and sure enough it's there at the bottom left corner of the Interface tab in General Preferences.

I wonder if the Poser Manual mentions it, and lists any suggests as to what a small increase would actually do. It's possible there may be a way to figure out what size is the safest to increase to. What was the number you entered that threw it so out of whack?

Last edited:

Miss B

CV-BEE
OK, I just checked the PP11 Manual, and except for the following paragraph, it doesn't really give you any idea how much you can increase it "safely".

"UI Scale:

Interface Scale Factor: Allows you to set interface scaling values for high resolution displays, such as Mac Retina displays. UI scaling is also helpful for those who require larger font sizes. The default is 1.00 for normal resolution
displays. Be careful not to use values that are excessively large or small. The changes will not take effect until you restart Poser."

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
I have both Poser 2014 and Poser 11(both pro versions) on my D: Drive and my runtime on an external hd.

I can't remember any problems setting it up though. I just changed the drive when installing like I always do.

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
Apparently 1.25 was too much to ask. :( I am doing a LOT of squinting at the default.

Well as I re-read your post about getting the UI wrong, it sounds like 1.25 was pretty good, except you tried to change it again and made it enormous. If you can find where those preference files live on your machine, you should be able to safely play with it, and know you can always get the default back. Of course I know sometimes it just feels like more effort than it's worth once things are mostly working.