• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Ideas for Dawn

Dakorillon (IMArts)

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Don't know if there is a better place for it, But have you all seen the National Costumes for the Miss Universe Pagent? There could be some wonderful inspiration for some outfits for Dawn from it. For someone talented enough!

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Ohhhh, I like the one Miss China from 2012 is wearing in that first link. The blue and white double-sided fabric is just stunning. The blurb underneath said the designer based it on a Chien Dynasty styled vase. It certainly reminds me of a fine china vase or dishes.

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
There are some neat ideas. And some crazy ones. It also kind of makes me think of The Hunger Games. And I feel sorry for the lobster girl from Uruguay miss-universe-5.jpg, and the girl from Germany who seems to be wearing Neuschwanstein on her head.

But you could do some interesting thing with Turkey's dress, although is that really the best photo they could find? I've been to Turkey, and it's just gorgeous. And I love that the US national costume is some where between Wonder Woman and Captain America (but without treading on any trademarks).

I wish I thought I could pull off Venezuela's dress in a model, but I'm a really long way off from that.

And if I'm being critical, well, it a contest, it invites that.

Dakorillon (IMArts)

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Okay working on Eyes for the HiveWire Family, starting with Dawn. First Test.

Eye Test 1.jpg

Aha! Here it is. Now, what happened here? I can't guess why the retina is looking like a flash glow in the first one. But looking at the pair it seems the reflection is raytraced now. True? Also the eye on the right side of the first test render looks like the iris is sliced. Not so realistic. The others look real good. And emerald green! My favorite eye color. None of my iris images are this color of green.
Now, to the question of materials. The complete material would be best. Diddling with the channels one by one is time consuming and wears people out when they're trying to be creative. See, do the geek part so others don't need to. But as for style, I don't know what to say. Probably two styles, based on what you perceive as fashionable, one that is more elegant for less computing power, and one that is more glamorous.

Dakorillon (IMArts)

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Aha! Here it is. Now, what happened here? I can't guess why the retina is looking like a flash glow in the first one. But looking at the pair it seems the reflection is raytraced now. True? Also the eye on the right side of the first test render looks like the iris is sliced. Not so realistic. The others look real good. And emerald green! My favorite eye color. None of my iris images are this color of green.
Now, to the question of materials. The complete material would be best. Diddling with the channels one by one is time consuming and wears people out when they're trying to be creative. See, do the geek part so others don't need to. But as for style, I don't know what to say. Probably two styles, based on what you perceive as fashionable, one that is more elegant for less computing power, and one that is more glamorous.

Lol! You found me!
I did the flash glow, on purpose. I think that could work for some folks, as a realistic flash (Yes, still needs work), or as demon eyes, or animal glow in a vampire or lycanthrope. I think it is raytraced, now, I used a spotlight in the last picture and just the camera light for the first one. Yes, in the first render, I just put a place holder there, so not developed, and that was using the base material settings, rather than 3DL. Could be interesting as a cartoon or anime type eye experiment.

Glad you like the Green! they are some of my favorite eye colors, too! I have central heterochromia, so I have 3 rings of color in my eyes. Brown in the center near the pupil, green around that and slate blue around the outer ring.

Thank you for your input on the materials. So, sets that are complete, (C/V), and then some fancy options for those who want to fiddle more. Got it!

Still working on getting my base materials and alphas set up, once that it done (Like making it so the pupil doesn't look like a cutout), then it will be on to the fun part! Then, comes the not so fun part, finessing the C/V!

Thank you for your kind comments!

Dakorillon; Sounds like a good concept. Don't know how you might implement the fancy options. Been reading about problems with Python in P11, so maybe not scripts. I just go into the Material room and do my thing. I will post a render in opposable thumbs that shows my style, and an explanation in mystical terms of what it is.