• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

How The Hivewire Horse (harry) Came To Be.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Pretty Dreamer!

Out of curiousity, I tracked down the story about Shannon on Henry Gross's website. Here is the link The Story of Shannon. Both Henry and Brian Wilson had Irish Setters named Shannon. Carl's Shannon had gotten out of the yard and was killed when she was hit by a car.

Doesn't change at all that the song is beautiful. It and my son are the same age :wink:

carmen indorato

Extraordinary
Yes there is an interest.
But, seems there should be more contrast between the pink skin and fur. The fur comes off looking yellow like a palomino and the mane should be either white or yellowish like some of the images i posted not purple.....I hope that doesn't sound ungrateful . :(

Dreamer

Dream Weaver Designs
I hope that doesn't sound ungrateful
Not at all @carmen indorato , I think the purple is coming from the lighting as the mane is white. I'll start a w.i.p thread for this and get some options going and some other colours along the same line. Pales are hard to get looking right as light effects them more and feed back helps too :)

LisaB

HW3D Vice President & Queen Bee
Staff member
Co-Founder
Sorry, Lisa. Took me a little while to see this post. Music and lyrics to Shannon.

HENRY GROSS
"Shannon"

Another day's at end
Mama says she's tired again
No one can even begin to tell her
I hardly know what to say
But maybe it's better that way
If Pop-pa were here I'm sure he'd tell her

Shannon, is gone I heard
She's drifting out to sea
She always loved to swim away
Maybe she'll find an island with a shaded tree
Just like the one in our backyard

Mama tries hard to pretend
That things will get better again
Somehow she's keepin' it all inside her
But finally the tears fill our eyes
And I know that somewhere tonight
She knows how much we really miss her

Shannon, is gone I heard
She's drifting out to sea
She always loved to swim away
Maybe she'll find an island
With a shaded tree
Just like the one in our back yard
Ah, just like the one in our back yard
Ah....
Just like the one in our back yard

Wow. Trip in the way back machine to a time when I had experienced my first loss of a beloved pet. My pony had died the prior year. I had such amazing summers with that pony. His name was Starlight due to him being dapple grey. The white spots on his flanks and rump looked liked stars in the night sky to me.

It's also a reminder of what people weren't talking about, and in a lot of ways, still aren't. I was a child. Twelve going on thirteen. So many things happening for me. The lyrics to that song as far as I understand them , are about a dog. They brought me to tears. They still do in their own "corny" way.

As many if us have, I've been through loss of loved ones in my life beyond those twelve years. My pets, my son, my grandparents, my father, my brothers ... My little brothers just in this past year ... And so I really hope that they find an island with a shady tree just like the one in our back yard.

Holy cow. Life certainly does take twists and turns doesn't it? Good thing we have art as an outlet for all of this .... Not sure what to call it, really ... muse-fired emotion?

carmen indorato

Extraordinary
Not at all @carmen indorato , I think the purple is coming from the lighting as the mane is white. I'll start a w.i.p thread for this and get some options going and some other colours along the same line. Pales are hard to get looking right as light effects them more and feed back helps too :)

Actually I apologize. I thought of that after I posted but I was too tired and went to bed instead! :)
I appreciate whatever you produce and will use it with love! ;)

Harimau

Eager
I have just purchased a bunch of HiveWire Horse stuff off CWRW's Cloud Foudation Sale. The Promos looked really nice, so I went through all the posts in this thread. I am very pleased to note that Chris is doing a zebra based on the Plains Zebra. It would be nice to have all three zebra species as they are quite different, but if you are getting just one, then the Plains zebra would be an excellent choice, being the most variable in coat pattern within six different subspecies. Here are the three species of zebra:

1. Burchell's zebra, Equus quagga burchellii (formerly known as Equus burchellii burchellii, the earlier name quagga has precendence over burchellii under the International Naming Convention), the typical Plains zebra. And, yes, the quagga is a Plains zebra.
Equus_quagga_burchellii_-_Etosha,_2014 small.jpg

2. Mountain zebra, Equus zebra. The Mountain zebra has a dewlap over its throat.
Cape_Mountain_Zebra_and_Young small.jpg

3. Grévy's zebra, Equus grevyi. It is the largest of the three species and is quite different from the other two. It has a larger head that is long and narrow, larger ears, shorter and thicker neck and taller and a more erect mane. The stripes are narrow and close-set, being broader on the neck, and they extend to the hooves. It looks more like a mule than a horse.
Grévy's zebra 1-1275995721gA70.jpg

This picture shows the variation in stripe pattern in the Burchell's zebra.
Equus_quagga_burchellii_(Black-on-white_or_white-on-black) small.jpg

This is a badly taken photo from a book (my apologies) to show a variety of coat patterns in just two subspecies of the Plains zebra (the Maneless zebra, Equus quagga borensis and the Quagga, Equus quagga quagga) and the Pleistocene horse, Equus ferus, from palaeolithic rock paintings in Dordogne.
image1 - Copy small.jpg

I think you can appreciate the number of textures that can be made just for the Plains zebra from the above picture. It can also be the basis for making textures for the Przewalski’s horse.

Which brings me to the extinct Pleistocene horse shown above. The general consensus is that they resemble the Przewalski’s horse, Equus ferus przewalskii, of modern Mongolia. Corroboratory evidence that Ice Age horses of some populations looked like this comes not only from living relatives but also from frozen carcasses, the most famous of which is the Selerikan horse, whose frozen carcass was discovered in a goldmine in the Siberian permafrost. It is or was a Przewalski’s type of horse.

I, therefore, think that the Przewalski's horse, Equus ferus przewalskii, is a must have. It is the only truly wild horse left in the world. The Mustang of America and the Brumby of Australia are feral domesticated horses, Equus ferus caballus.

The Przewalski's horse, Equus ferus przewalskii.
Przewalskipferde_aus_Ungarn_(14962806471)_(2) small.jpg

I am also glad that Chris is also doing a donkey (a domesticated ass). A wild ass such as the African wild ass, a precursor of the donkey, would be a nice addition. There is really not much difference between the two. A wild ass has large ears compared to those of horses and zebras but not as large as those of a donkey. Having all three species of wild asses would be ideal as they are quite different from each other, but if there is going to be just one I would be happy with that. Here are the three species:

1a. African wild ass, Equus africanus africanus. This is the Nubian wild ass, a precursor of the donkey. There is a stripe across the shoulder. No leg stripes.
Bonaire's_Critically-Endangered_Nubian_Wild_Ass small.jpg

1b. African wild ass, Equus africanus somaliensis. This is the Somali wild ass. The legs are striped. No stripe across the shoulder. Otherwise no real difference.
c05062fc5f47bbd74ab6e2d1f93503b5 small.jpg

2. Asiatic wild ass or Onager, Equus hemionus. There are five subspecies. Onagers are short-legged compared to horses, and their coloring varies depending on the season, generally reddish-brown in color during the summer, becoming yellowish-brown or grayish-brown in the winter.
Onager_Asiatischer_Wildesel_Equus_hemionus_onager_Zoo_Augsburg-11 small.jpg

3. Kiang, Equus kiang. The Kiang is the largest of the wild asses. Its ears are smaller than those of the other asses and the tail hair starts closer to the base of the dock, making it look more horse-like than the other asses.
Kiang img_04513-212213.jpg

Donkey (domesticated ass), Equus africanus asinus. No leg stripes, bigger ears, stripe across the shoulder. Very similar to Nubian wild ass.
donkey-004 small.jpg

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
This is my mum, me and Pedro (my grandfathers donkey), they thought it would be funny dressing me in khaki and my grandfathers pith helmet to look like I was on safari :p
Jean & Rae 045.jpg

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
It was probably because before this pic he tried to ditch me when I was riding him by myself down the paddock so he's looking sheepish because he didn't :p
(people who say "stubborn like a mule" have never met a donkey!)

carmen indorato

Extraordinary
Greetings Harimau!
Love the Przewalski and Nubian Wild ass. The Nubian looks sveldt and has a nice face. The ugliest is the Onager which has a face only a momma donkey can possibly love. LOL I do also like the Burchell's zebra too more of what I have seen images of and can only assume it is the most commonly pictured representation of Zebras?

Does anyone here now if there is a morph/coat combo for Harry to turn it into a Przewalski?
Though i have him, I have not used Harry much but wondered if anyone has found anything close. I recall a Przewalski breed combo out there but not sure if it was for MilHorse or P4 Horse.
I appreciated this post by you. Love Donkeys and Zebras and the Przewalski Horse has always been a favorite since I was a kid reading the Time/Life and NatGeo Illustrated history books. Also in Clan of The Cave Bears the heroine rode a horse form that time.
I have asked around a lot for scruffy coated horses ponies and Wild Asses/Donkeys but can never find a good combo.
If you are looking for a good donkey I suggest looking at the DAZ store for their Donkey. Beautifully made Poser animal I wish had gotten more support and variants in coats. Their Zebra leaves a lot to be desired and i have begged for a Quagga EVERYWHERE (now extinct) which should not be mistaken for the Quagga Zebra you posted here. I got one for Poser at Content paradise and to my surprise found it to be really nicely made unlike many of their other animal offerings. I did get a donkey that looked like the Nubian you posted from a web store that has since closed down I think it was 9mbi or something. Though I haven't used it yet it looks pretty nice.
Unfortunately i doubt we might find too large a selection in the way of your needs for donkeys and zebras here for Harry. It all comes down to consumer base interest and availability of Hi res textures to build the maps from. It is a lot of work creating morphs and textures and if there isn't much demand it will not be feasible creating them.
But now at least there are at least two of us here wishing with bated breath for these. LOL

Last edited:

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
9mbi had some really nice animals. Theirs was just about the only fox around, until AM did his. (Other than various morphs from the MilCat and MilDog -- Hi, Lynn!)

Actually, a donkey would be just about as appropriate for Whatsmas as the silver deer.

Harimau

Eager
Greetings Harimau!
Love the Przewalski and Nubian Wild ass. The Nubian looks sveldt and has a nice face. The ugliest is the Onager which has a face only a momma donkey can possibly love. LOL I do also like the Burchell's zebra too more of what I have seen images of and can only assume it is the most commonly pictured representation of Zebras?

Does anyone here now if there is a morph/coat combo for Harry to turn it into a Przewalski?
Though i have him, I have not used Harry much but wondered if anyone has found anything close. I recall a Przewalski breed combo out there but not sure if it was for MilHorse or P4 Horse.
I appreciated this post by you. Love Donkeys and Zebras and the Przewalski Horse has always been a favorite since I was a kid reading the Time/Life and NatGeo Illustrated history books. Also in Clan of The Cave Bears the heroine rode a horse form that time.
I have asked around a lot for scruffy coated horses ponies and Wild Asses/Donkeys but can never find a good combo.
If you are looking for a good donkey I suggest looking at the DAZ store for their Donkey. Beautifully made Poser animal I wish had gotten more support and variants in coats. Their Zebra leaves a lot to be desired and i have begged for a Quagga EVERYWHERE (now extinct) which should not be mistaken for the Quagga Zebra you posted here. I got one for Poser at Content paradise and to my surprise found it to be really nicely made unlike many of their other animal offerings. I did get a donkey that looked like the Nubian you posted from a web store that has since closed down I think it was 9mbi or something. Though I haven't used it yet it looks pretty nice.
Unfortunately i doubt we might find too large a selection in the way of your needs for donkeys and zebras here for Harry. It all comes down to consumer base interest and availability of Hi res textures to build the maps from. It is a lot of work creating morphs and textures and if there isn't much demand it will not be feasible creating them.
But now at least there are at least two of us here wishing with bated breath for these. LOL

Hi Carmen,

Glad to know we have a shared interest here. By the way, the Quagga that I referred above is the same Quagga that you that you have been pining for all this while. It is extinct now, although some people are trying to breed it from selected plains zebra that have lost some stripes at the hind quarters. Recent molecular genetic studies have shown that it is a subspecies of the plains zebra (in other words it is a plains zebra). That is why the species name for the plains zebra is now Equus quagga and not Equus burchellii (earlier name quagga has precedence). In the poorly taken photo above, the left column of zebras show actual variations of coat patterns in a living subspecies of the plains zebra, the maneless zebra. The middle column shows variations of the coat patterns of the recently extinct quagga taken from preserved skins, old photos and contemporary paintings, and the right column shows variations of the coat patterns of the long extinct Przewalski's type of Pleistocene horses taken from palaeolithic rock paintings. Apparently, the ancestral horse (for all species of Equus) was striped giving rise later to the various configuration of striping in the modern zebras and the loss of stripes in the modern horse and asses (See another badly taken photo below - the caption explains it).
image2 - Copy small.jpg

carmen indorato

Extraordinary
I did not know the Przewalski's horse was extinct. I thought it still is alive and well as the remaining relative of its prehistoric relative.

Harimau

Eager
The Przewalski's horse is still very much alive. It is the Pleistocene horses that are extinct - they are not Przewalski's horses but they resemble the Przewalski's horse (i.e. they are Przewalski's type of horses), if that makes any sense.

carmen indorato

Extraordinary
Predecessors!? got it.
I have pored over old paintings and photos of the Native Americans to get a better idea of the horses they rode. They were described as "Ponies" and in many of the paintings and old photos look really badly kept. In the images they looked smaller than our modern horse proportionately to their riders and the Indians were a smaller statured peoples if I read the info correctly. Of course we are talking of paintings and that could just be the view or creative license of the artist but it seemed no matter what artist it was their images strengthened the notion of their horses being "ponies" smaller and rougher than ours today. So I would love some coats and morphs (lean, stringy, sway backed floppy eared sometimes, fleabit, showing ribs where no healthy well kept horse today would) that reflected that stature/look from those times. The Przewalski looks like an older breed though not like the indian pony (more like the Mongolian breed) but would make a nice "ancient" horse for pseudo-historical fantasy imaging.