• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

RELEASED HiveWire House Cat Begins

Lianam

Eager
I love the Kitty! :) I am working on a a couple of different renders with it in. :) I have some tweaks yet to one and the other just need to add more stuff to the scene.

Lyne

Distinguished
HW Honey Bear
I know there are some seams...but with all those stripes, this is the best me and my old hands can do... I am happy with it over all... It's a dream to have my little "soul mate" continue his journey on this earth, even though he is gone... He's been a poser cat since 1999!!

I'm so happy with this (oh and FYI, my avi is a TEMP avi, until I dial-shape the ears/face to more like my fur kids) I AM going to do Nickie- as his map is the same but for NO white.... he has a darker creamy tummy and just white on his nose area... the hardest thing with him will be the darker coloring on the bottom of the back feet that is so typical of tabbies like this... I also want to create poses for his shape and some other poses for him... My Runtime will have a MATERIAL to assign his new coat, set the other node settings the way I like, but you MUST have the base cat and tabby to start, as my mat file will call to Laurie's maps!! I am even going to place my coat map in her folder, so all the other parts of the cat won't have a fit looking for them. (I assume that is ok with legal and Laurie? @CWRW )

randym77

Motivated
Eeeee! Travis is my favorite texture for the MilCat.

Question...how is this new cat different from the MilCat?

I love the MilCat. It's probably my favorite figure ever. I like it so much I find it hard to imagine how it could be improved.

(Sorry if this was mentioned elsewhere in the thread. 25 pages is more than I can read through right now.)

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
MilCat is years old and is pre WeightMapped. Consequently, the mesh and joints aren't as flexible as the HiveWire House Cat. You can see this with some of the more extreme (aka typical cat) poses.

The HiveWire House Cat is weight mapped and has a few more body parts which also allows more flexibility. In particular, her paws and toes are a vast improvement to the MilCat paws.

Currently, MilCat has more breed morphs, but Chris plans on creating additional breed morphs for the House Cat.

In addition, Chris is very responsive to our suggestions and incorporated our feedback into the HiveWire House Cat ... as he has with all his models.

MilCat Body Parts
Hip
Waist
Abdomen
Chest
Neck
Head
Left & Right Whiskers
Left & Right Eyes
Left & Right Ears
Left & Right Shoulders
Left & Right Forearm
Left & Right Wrist
Left & Right Hand
Left & Right Thigh
Left & Right Leg
Left & Right Shin
Left & Right Foot
12 Tail Sections​

HiveWire House Cat Body Parts
Hip
3 Abdomen Sections
2 Chest Sections
3 Neck Sections
Head
Lower Jaw
6 Tongue Sections
Left & Right Eyes
Left & Right Ears
Left & Right Collar
Left & Right Shoulders
Left & Right Forearm
Left & Right Front Foot
Left & Right Front Paw
Left & Right Front Toes (Thumb, Index, Mid, Ring, Pinky)
Left & Right Front Claws (2 per Toe)
pelvis
18 Tail Sections
Left & Right Thigh
Left & Right Shin
Left & Right Rear Foot
Left & Right Rear Paw
Left & Right Rear Toes (Index, Mid, Ring, Pinky)
Left & Right Rear Claws (2 per Toe)​

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Welcome to the HiveWire forums randym77, and Satira has explained the differences between the HW cat and the MilCat perfectly.

CG Cubed

Technical Director
Staff member
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Just thought I'd share a WIP for my LAMH add-on
I have the hair combed for most of the body, still a lot of work to be done though. I have to work on the head, ears, and feet. I plan on making the hair on the belly a little longer too. A few areas to adjust on the tail as well, but I think I have a good start.

WIPShortHair01.png

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
Solendid. I'm assuming that this will be a commercial add-on product in the store? Or will it be uploaded to the furry things website as a free download like the MilCat presets? Will there eventually be a short hair preset, and a long haired preset?

CG Cubed

Technical Director
Staff member
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Thanks,
The plan is to have a long hair and a short hair option, and yes, it will be an add-on in the HW store. If things go well I can do the same for the big cat. Since this is my first go with LAMH, How do folks normally like the product? As a LAMH preset? As a fiber hair obj? Both? I find the LAMH presets are pretty easy to use and adjust.

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Both please :D (the LAMH preset is good for 3DL and the Fiber obj for Iray).

I can use LAMH fine (albeit it takes ages) but anytime I try and make something it crashes so presets are the only way to go for me until I win lotto and can get a new computer :p

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
A LAMH preset should be usable by anyone who has the free player. Or at least anyone who can make the player work for them (I really have to give it a try in 4.9. I've not been able to get it to work since about 4.5, or .6) I've not tried Iray yet, but a lot of people would be wanting whatever can make it work in that.

I'm certainly willing to pay for the add-on.

randym77

Motivated
Thanks for the welcome. Though I'm not really new. I've been here since HiveWire started. Though I think they changed the forums or something. I had to sign up again.

I have bought the new kitty. Looking forward to more textures for it. Need a black one for Halloween!

Chris

HW3D President
Staff member
Co-Founder
Thank you. Weight-mapped is very cool.

If I may add here, in my thinking it's not just the weight mapping of the rig that is awesome. The whole layout of the mesh and base model structure is improved with "real" attention to base surface anatomy of the cat, with superior morphing ability of the face, body, and added nuances on the JCMs. Then on top of this you add in the superior map quality created by Laurie Prindle, and that "ALL" the cats (big cats included) share the same UV set. I dare say that this House Cat is much better then the Milcat in every way.