• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Hivewire Gift Certificate

eclark1894

Visionary
Is there still no way to get a coupon or Gift Certificate to distribute as a contest Prize at Hivewire? Maybe some other way to buy a prize in advance, but make ownership transferable?

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE
While that is on the list of "to do" things, we do not have the ability to do coupons or GCs at this time. Products can definitely not be transferred from one person to another.

eclark1894

Visionary
Too bad. Would be really nice to giveaway a Dusk or Dawn Value Stack in a render challenge. Guess, I'll just stick to Renderosity stuff then. Doesn't seem like anybody else sells Gift certificates either.

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Couldn't someone use Paypal to give money to HiveWire for someone else?

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I'm not sure they could do that without the option of issuing a Gift Certificate.

When Dreamlight still had his site and forum, we used to run monthly render challenges, and he would send me, as Global Moderator, a set amount of money for 5 prizes through PayPal, but I had to buy a GC at DAZ, and have them allot the correct amounts from the GC to the winners, probably through GCs. I don't know that it can be done any other way.

I do know I've received "gifts" from a couple of folks over the years at Renderosity, where they were able to actually purchase it for (gift it to) me, but I don't know that they still do that, as it was a number of years ago.

It all depends on the eCommerce software each site uses. Some have add-ons for several things like GCs, and some don't, and how well the add-ons work with a site's store design are all factors that need to be considered.

eclark1894

Visionary
Well, I misspoke earlier. It seems DAZ does have Gift Certificates or Gift Cards. I've never used it before so not sure how it works.

kobaltkween

Brilliant
Contributing Artist
Maybe someone can explain to me the logic behind making products non-transferable? What am I missing?
If you mean in the system itself, it probably just wasn't built for that. Gifting items to other members is just one of those things that isn't on the first list of use cases when writing a store app. As I write this, I think that maybe it should be, considering the state of social media and how lucrative, effective, and common it is to leverage prominent community members in an industry. Most YouTubers that talk on a subject and have a lot of followers have relationships with various brands and get more popular through give-aways, contests, and raffles. But, anyway, my guess is that HiveWire3D's software just doesn't support gifting items right now as a limitation, not a prohibition.

If you mean the license, absolutely none of the brokerages make their content licenses transferable. While I personally have an issue with the idea of anything I buy but don't own, a broad issue that applies to all software and digital content, I also appreciate the logistical problem. Unless you have a singular product _and_ some serious licensing tracking software, _and_ a way for customers to verify a license before a purchase, people can just resell digital content and keep the original. There's no way to verify a transfer of goods rather than a duplication of them.

So I can buy a friend a Kindle book for a friend, but I can't sell my copy of a Kindle book to a friend or donate it to a library. In fact, I only license the book, and if the author pulls it from Amazon and only sells it at some other store, I'm pretty sure I won't have access to it anymore.

eclark1894

Visionary
If you mean in the system itself, it probably just wasn't built for that. Gifting items to other members is just one of those things that isn't on the first list of use cases when writing a store app. As I write this, I think that maybe it should be, considering the state of social media and how lucrative, effective, and common it is to leverage prominent community members in an industry. Most YouTubers that talk on a subject and have a lot of followers have relationships with various brands and get more popular through give-aways, contests, and raffles. But, anyway, my guess is that HiveWire3D's software just doesn't support gifting items right now as a limitation, not a prohibition.

If you mean the license, absolutely none of the brokerages make their content licenses transferable. While I personally have an issue with the idea of anything I buy but don't own, a broad issue that applies to all software and digital content, I also appreciate the logistical problem. Unless you have a singular product _and_ some serious licensing tracking software, _and_ a way for customers to verify a license before a purchase, people can just resell digital content and keep the original. There's no way to verify a transfer of goods rather than a duplication of them.

So I can buy a friend a Kindle book for a friend, but I can't sell my copy of a Kindle book to a friend or donate it to a library. In fact, I only license the book, and if the author pulls it from Amazon and only sells it at some other store, I'm pretty sure I won't have access to it anymore.
Well, I'm not going to worry about it anymore. I just wanted some prizes to give away in render challenges. I'll buy the GCs where they sell them, otherwise, maybe I can get a few content makers to donate every now and then.

sapat

Brilliant
QAV-BEE
Well, I misspoke earlier. It seems DAZ does have Gift Certificates or Gift Cards. I've never used it before so not sure how it works.
Yeah, they do. They can pay for a GC, then the store adds it to your account. Then you get an email saying you've received a gift. Or if someone knows you want a specific product, they can just outright buy it and they put it in your downloads and you get notification. A little different than rendo, but basically you either get a GC or someone 'gifts' you a product.

eclark1894

Visionary
Yeah, they do. They can pay for a GC, then the store adds it to your account. Then you get an email saying you've received a gift. Or if someone knows you want a specific product, they can just outright buy it and they put it in your downloads and you get notification. A little different than rendo, but basically you either get a GC or someone 'gifts' you a product.
Still, kind of awkward. I have to wait until my contest is over to find out who won before I can buy the gift. With my current contest, I already have the Renderosity gift certificate. Once I select the winner, All I have to do is let the winner know how to get their prize.

sapat

Brilliant
QAV-BEE
Still, kind of awkward. I have to wait until my contest is over to find out who won before I can buy the gift. With my current contest, I already have the Renderosity gift certificate. Once I select the winner, All I have to do is let the winner know how to get their prize.
That's it!

eclark1894

Visionary
That's it!
I never really believed in zodiac signs before, but I have noticed that as a Capricorn, I am very cautious, even to a point of being overly guarded. So I like to have my bases covered. I even think I'm starting to develop OCD as I find myself putting things in certain places so I always know where they are, and checking the locks on a door I just checked. I've always been a little forgetful when I was younger, and now as I've gotten older, and not having a wife or kids, or someone who has my back I do get afraid that I will forget something. So yes, if I promise someone that they will win a prize in this contest, I want to deliver right away.

sapat

Brilliant
QAV-BEE
I'm a Virgo, and I'm pretty true to my traits. I'm a picky, perfectionist, like attention to detail, I do well in the service industry (I was a registered nurse for >22 years in ICU/CCU and the Operating Room. They were intense jobs, I had a lot of control over my patients and reporting to physicians who relied on my judgement. I am a perfectionist. If I look for good in ppl and don't find it, I withdraw, pull away and then criticize and judge. (yep)

My husband is a Cancer, and he is absolutely nothing like what it says. !

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Oh I'm 1000% Scorpio and proud of it, and no, that's not a typo. :sneaky: