• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Dreadlocks for Dawn

Hi friends!
How are you? I always wanted to create hair but i had no idea of how do it! haha!
So this is my first attempt, i'm creating Dreadlocks for Dawn :) This is how look so far. :)

What you guys think?
Have a nice weekend!!

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
I think it's great you are making dreadlocks for Dawn, that's a much needed thing IMO. I think what you have so far looks great. One thing you might want to consider is what sort of fabric you consider the hair tie/band. Is it something elastic or not? I think you've done a really good job with the way dreads, move/hang compared to other types of hair, but I feel like the band is sort of going to slip off, and maybe doesn't have the tension to hold things in place.

Hope you don't mind the critique, I really look forward to seeing more of this.

I think it's great you are making dreadlocks for Dawn, that's a much needed thing IMO. I think what you have so far looks great. One thing you might want to consider is what sort of fabric you consider the hair tie/band. Is it something elastic or not? I think you've done a really good job with the way dreads, move/hang compared to other types of hair, but I feel like the band is sort of going to slip off, and maybe doesn't have the tension to hold things in place.

Hi Gadget Girl! No no, you got a point and you're right! I remember when i had dreadlocks they where very heavy and i had to use elastic hair ties^^"
Thanks for remember me of the detail!

Hi again! What you think about this one?
Fix1.jpg

Looks better?

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
Yes that's much better. You can see the tension in the sides and even untextured it look a lot more like a big scrunchy. Also the fact that's it's pressing closer to the hair on top rather than being loose conveys the 'physics' of it all much better. That's really good.

Yes that's much better. You can see the tension in the sides and even untextured it look a lot more like a big scrunchy. Also the fact that's it's pressing closer to the hair on top rather than being loose conveys the 'physics' of it all much better. That's really good.
Awnn thanks! I'm happy you liked it! You helped me to improve my product! Thank you so much! :)

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I think Rae's got a good point. Maybe make the distance between the edge of the skullcap and the dreads about half the distance you have now. Also, I think a nice transparency map will help make it look less solid. around the hairline edge.