• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Don't know, don't know

pommerlis

Noteworthy
Contributing Artist
*Sigh*
Shall I or shall I not upgrade to Daz 4.9?! Sigh, been doubting and thinking and trying to decide for days now. Can't seem to make up my mind. Read threads on the matter and I just don't know.
What was that advice my mum gave me once? When in doubt, don't?!

tparo

Engaged
QAV-BEE
Which version are you on at the moment?
Why are you reluctant to upgrade?
Why are you considering upgrading?

pommerlis

Noteworthy
Contributing Artist
I'm on 4.8 at the moment and I have just started to rekindle my relationship with DazStudio and I figured I might try the latest version since I'm fresh now in starting up Daz again.
But the more I read about upgrading to 4.9 and hear all the "Yay's" and "Nay's" I start doubting. I should just throw myself into the deep-end yes?!

I have back ups soooo, that shouldn't be the issue

eclark1894

Visionary
I'm on 4.8 at the moment and I have just started to rekindle my relationship with DazStudio and I figured I might try the latest version since I'm fresh now in starting up Daz again.
But the more I read about upgrading to 4.9 and hear all the "Yay's" and "Nay's" I start doubting. I should just throw myself into the deep-end yes?!

I have back ups soooo, that shouldn't be the issue
Well, 4.9 is free, so you're not risking any money. Just keep a back up of your current Version of DS on a thumbdrive, and upgrade. If you don't like it, then you can always go back.

3WC

Engaged
Contributing Artist
Save your current vrrsion installer. Upgrade and try it out. If you don't like it, uninstall it and reinstall your current version. Nothing lost but a little time.

eclark1894

Visionary
I've not had any problems with 4.9, as far as I'm aware the only problem could be if you have custom categories, you may loose that and have to redo it so back that up as well.
The first post of this thread
Daz Studio 4.9.4 Pro, General Release!
is worth taking note.
Not trying to start anything, but if you have things set up the way you like, why would installing the new version change everything? Is that a bug, or intentional on the programmers' part.?

tparo

Engaged
QAV-BEE
It's not that technical if you are a DS user, and Poser has its problem after one update to Poser 10 I lost my libraries completely and the program was unusable.

eclark1894

Visionary
It's not that technical if you are a DS user, and Poser has its problem after one update to Poser 10 I lost my libraries completely and the program was unusable.
Well, I wasn't comparing , but trust me, I know Poser has it's hiccups. I'm just not much of a DS user. Actually, 4.8 is the most I've ever used DS and I hardly ever open it. But to be honest, I'm not really much of a Windows user either. What I know about it has been out of necessity because my Mac has gotten old. Plus the only version of DS my mac could ever open was 2.3.

Dawn

Engaged
Contributing Artist
I don't find anything different, but did reinstall after months of the previous version not working (it weren't DAZ at fault, but my firewall which cocked everything up.)
I think DAZ takes a bit of getting used to and I'm still clicking on tabs and shutting the whole side panel down constantly, but that's just me.
Another thing that bothers me now is when I go back to poser, everything seems so chuggy and slow, especially going from the rendered window back to preview. Can wait nearly a minute for it to change back and when you're doing test renders, it becomes a pain.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
That's odd, Dawn. It takes no time at all for me to switch between rendered and preview in either PP2014 or PP11.

The only time I experience things getting slow is when Windows gets out of sorts. Then everything slows down, and I have to reboot. Windows is just so stubborn over releasing memory that's no longer needed by an application.

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE
I would definitely update. One reason - we are now ONLY testing in 4.9+ in QAV. We have had products that work there but do not in 4.8. All new DS products at HW are listed as requiring DS 4.9+. They MAY work in lower versions, but it's not guaranteed.

As noted, keep a copy of your old install files.

That said, I do not use DAZ Connect or smart data at all - just Content Library, so I can't speak to any differences there. I hand install my DS program (ie, I do not let DIM do it for me) and haven't installed the PostgreSQL so I get a Resource Error every time I start DS:

"A valid PosgreSQL CMS connection could not be established. Several DAZ Studio features that require a valid PosgreSQL CMS connection, such as context aware views and loading content installed using the Daz Connect service, will not be available. Check your network, anti-virus, and firewall settings for conflicts"

I click ok and boom, I'm ready to go. This hasn't become an issue for me.

pommerlis

Noteworthy
Contributing Artist
I've gone and done it. Thank you everybody, esspecially @tparo for asking those 3 questions.
It helped me make sense of why I wanted an upgrade and why wouldn't I since I know I've backed up everything.
Everything is working fine, even V3 and all the folders I had installed before were actually still there.
Thanks again sweet peeps! You're all the best! :inlove:

Dawn

Engaged
Contributing Artist
That's odd, Dawn. It takes no time at all for me to switch between rendered and preview in either PP2014 or PP11.

The only time I experience things getting slow is when Windows gets out of sorts. Then everything slows down, and I have to reboot. Windows is just so stubborn over releasing memory that's no longer needed by an application.

It's always been an issue with me, from earlier versions of poser and with different machines. I've had three or four pcs in the time that I've been using poser, but must admit it's getting longer and longer. Maybe it's my preview setup????

I use this preview option which is the full shading
upload_2017-9-23_16-22-46.png

and this is my settings on preview - this is the pp14 version of poser, I don't use p11 all that much, but the problem is there also.... Any ideas?
upload_2017-9-23_16-23-36.png

Jay Versluis

Admirable
Just a tip for the future:

You can always install the current "Beta Version" of DAZ Studio in addition to the "Release Version" on your system. Most of the time, the Beta and the Release are exactly the same, except when DAZ are close to a new release, in which case the Beta is slightly ahead. I'm mentioning this because in your case, you could have left your Release Version untouched at 4.8, and tested how 4.9 Beta would float your boat - again leaving your current 4.8 untouched.

So when you sign up for the Beta, you'll just see another version of DAZ Studio in Install Manager that you can download and install independently. Try it for the next version of DAZ Studio, which is undoubtedly in the works. Any questions, let me know.