• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Condor wing markings question

Hubert Holin

Inspired
Paris (U.E.), le 28/11/2016

Hello everyone

I am trying to ma a picture with a SBRM condor, but having difficulties with the wing markings. In the preview (first image) the white markings are clearly seen. But using either FireFly (second image), or superFly (third image), or Reality 3D (fourth image), the markings do not appear clearly or correctly. In all likelihood I goofed up in the material settings, and therefore would be grateful for any idea on how to correct my mess.

Merci
Preview.png FireFly.png SuperFly.png Reality3D.png
Hubert Holin

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Welcome to the Hive Hubert! Unfortunately I'm not very good with Poser but I'm sure someone who is will be along shortly to help you.

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Paris (U.E.), le 28/11/2016

Hello everyone

I am trying to ma a picture with a SBRM condor, but having difficulties with the wing markings. In the preview (first image) the white markings are clearly seen. But using either FireFly (second image), or superFly (third image), or Reality 3D (fourth image), the markings do not appear clearly or correctly. In all likelihood I goofed up in the material settings, and therefore would be grateful for any idea on how to correct my mess.

Merci
View attachment 19604 View attachment 19605 View attachment 19606 View attachment 19607
Hubert Holin

The Condor model was originally designed for Firefly/3Delight rendering in 2007. The reason of the markings not showing up well in the second image I'm guessing is where lights are pointed. Perhaps adding a light pointing at the open under-wings will correct that. I'd also add that the white in the under-wing markings on the California Condor are not that pronounced. They are very subtle when compared to the Andean Condor.

Both Superfly and Reality are physical-based renderers and newer technology. Since you are using Superfly, I know you have Poser 11. Poser 11 has the latest version of SubD included which works well with my birds. Under the "Figures" tab in the menu, select "Skinning Method" and the "Poser Unimesh" option. Now, under parameters (on the condor model) go to properties and turn SubD to 2 (or higher). This will correct the issues with the spots of the wings. For Reality, use the Poser 11 SubD'd model or pose and save the .obj, subdivide it in a modeller and reimport it. This and other options are listed in my FAQ.

Next year, I had planned to undertake a huge conversion/updating to the latest technology of my bird products. If and when this happens, depends a little on how my catalog sales do... since this is a monstrous, time-consuming product and I'm offering these updates for free, I need to balance that with some revenue to put food on the table for me.

Last edited:

Hubert Holin

Inspired
Paris (U.E.), le 30/10/2017

Bonsoir

Thanks for the advice (and the superb models, of course!). Superfly + SubD (to 2) gives by far the best results of the native Poser renderers. I'll try Reality in the next few days with the SubD'ed Condor.

Merci!

Hubert Holin

Superfly+SubD.png