• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Blender newbie wants help setting up

AlphinaNovaStar

Energetic
I want to start modeling. I know I have access to 3d Max and Maya but I do not have the license to do anything commercial with it. I would hate to make a great figure with Maya and get it all done to figure out there is nothing I can do with it other than personal renders.

Ergo I am trying to learn to use Blender. Are there any plugins or such that can help with making organic shapes or what not? I downloaded Blender 2.77 and trying to figure out what I need to start working on modeling. I am trying to figure out what I need to get started on my project. (aka want to start ASAP with no $ to use on the project.)

DigiDotz

Adventurous
I love Blender. For your organic shapes -after modeling a basic shape and subdividing, there are some good sculpt tools in Blender -you can also add your own sculpt brush textures which is nice

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Oh, I had never come across Skin Modifier, so thanks for the link Vask. ;)

kobaltkween

Brilliant
Contributing Artist
There's tons of Blender tutorials out there. What I've written below is advice that I hope will be helpful if you either already know a thing or two about modeling or just start trying tutorials. It might also give you some search terms.

If you're making clothes, I suggest starting with only a few polygons (say three: front, back, one side), adding a mirror and subdivision modifier, then extruding and adding loop cuts as you go. That way you only add loop cuts as you need them, and build topology that's as clean and efficient as you can make it. Over time, you'll probably find you need fewer and fewer polygons.

The big things to keep in mind when making clothes are seams and edges. First of all, it's easiest to UV map your clothes so the islands match a sewing pattern, and your UV seams match where you'd have real seams. Once you have those islands,, you want their edges to be as smooth as possible so you can put a nice even hem on them. So try to keep any poles (vertices that join a number of polygons besides four or two) away from your hem. For instance, if you're working around breasts or shoulders, you'll probably need a pole or two. But you can have a row or two of polygons around the edge that make a smooth boundary.

Also, if you're making clothes, remember that you can use the cloth modifier. For instance, if you want to make a simple shirt, all you have to do is model something pretty plain and stiff, then let it drape. Blender also allows you to sew clothes now, sort of like Marvelous Designer, so you can look into that, too.

The skin modifier is very cool, but if you're making anything dynamic or conforming, you need to watch how you use anything that automatically creates topology. For anything static, it doesn't matter, but if it bends or flexes in anyway, then you need to watch where you put your loop cuts.

If you're working with Poser, it's best to import figures directly from the Geometries folder. You can work at any scale as long as you're consistent from importing to exporting (for instance scaling up by 10 going in, scaling down by 1/10 going out). That said, I find it really hard to make people-sized items that _aren't_ clothes without considering real world scale. 1 Blender Unit (BU) = 1 meter. Using Poser's meter scale, the scale from Blender to Poser is about 2.6125 to 1. That makes a conversion back scaling down by 0.3828. I usually fudge and use 2.5 and 0.4 respectively. That said, I've decided to use 0.3828 for non-figure related props, because my scenery (chairs, stairs, etc.) often comes in a bit too big. For clothes, jewelry, etc., it kind of doesn't matter because I'm measuring against the figure itself and not really relying on hard measurements. But I find that doesn't work as well for table legs or even flowers.

One of _the_ strongest aspects of Blender is its polygon modeling capabilities. It's really easy and fast to extrude, make loop cuts, etc. Add the F2 add-on, and it's even faster to fill in spaces and extend grids. If you select a vertice or edge and CTRL + click, you automatically extrude your mesh in the direction of a click. Want to make fancy designs? Just make a small box and start clicking away like you're drawing. Same works for the skin modifier. Want to make a tree from scratch, without using sapling? Start with a vertex and just start CTRL clicking away to make the skeleton.

If you want to do procedural modeling (making weird geometric shapes, for instance), then Blender's not so great. But I have more clothing meshes that I can count that haven't been made into sets. It rarely takes me more than a few hours to model a whole set of clothes in Blender. It's everything else that's time consuming.

IMHO, the second strongest aspect of Blender is its sculpting capabilities. Especially if you have a pen and tablet. You can find tons of great tutorials out there about sculpting. There's also a (paid) retopo tool to make it easier retopologize a sculpt, but Blender does have built-in retopology tools that work (just not as easily). That said, I personally avoid that practice and prefer to have a nice strong base mesh with good topology before sculpting. I'm not advocating that way, because the industry standard is sculpt then retopo (though mostly people do this with Zbrush). It's more that I can't really speak on using sculpting that way, despite its growing popularity.

Given your spending constraints, Blender's also likely to be by _far_ the easiest way for you to paint 3D textures if you want or need to. If you map clothes right, they're _way_ easier to map in a 2D program. And Blender's 3D painting tools aren't nearly as controlled as Photoshop's 2D tools or Zbrush's 3D ones. But they are good, and better tools are expensive.

Last edited:

Miss B

CV-BEE
Blender, like ZBrush, are modelling apps, though you can render scenes in Blender as well, if you want to. I don't remember whether ZBrush does that as well, though it might.

Photoshop CS6 is solely a 2D graphics app, and you can use it to create textures for whatever you model in either Blender of ZBrush, but you cannot do any modelling in Photoshop. It's strictly for postwork, such as creating textures, and setting up final renders you do in Poser, DS, Carrara, or other 3D software.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Oh, and as far as whether Blender is better than ZBrush, I would have to say they're equally good, though even though you can sculpt in Blender (I haven't tried it myself), ZBrush is mostly sculpting, so the methods are different in how you use each software app.

LeoLee

Enthusiast
Contributing Artist
Hi AlphinaNovaStar!

I used to use Hexagon for modeling in the past, but it crashed a lot and the UV map was a headache. So now I moved to Blender which allows me to do almost all the modeling, texturing and morphs.

See some examples of a Superhero suit I'm making:

Blender_Wasp_WIP.jpg

Painting over a model in Texture Paint mode. You can paint colors, textures, bump and normal maps over a 3d model (right view) or over the UV map (left view below) and with symmetry on, all you need to paint is only one side. :)
What I do is painting the base colors and save the map to add details in photoshop.
I'm still learning Blender but I can do many things with it.

Blender_Mask_WIP.jpg

I modeled this mask and did the morphs to fit with the DawnSE's faces.
You can see more here.

I really recommend Blender because you can do so many things and it is free.

Lissa_xyz

I break polygons.
Haha. The bird's real, believe it or not. It's called a Patoo. I fell in love with them when I came across the wonky eyed buggers.

Miss B

CV-BEE
OMG, I would never have guessed! I thought for sure you had came across a 3D version somewhere. ;)