• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Blender Help, Forums And Tutorial Links

eclark1894

Visionary
Never really had a problem with making clothes, but I admit I've become better over time. Wouldn't mind going back and redoing some of the stuff I first made for the Poser people. My biggest modeling issues have been heels and pleats. I'm better with heels, but still can't do pleats for squat.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Yes, I can imagine pleats being a headache. I know how my mom made pleats for some of my skirts when I was a kid, but modelling them is a whole 'nother thing for sure.

Lobo3433

Admirable
On making clothing in Blender have had some difficulties myself but I have seen SickleYield has done a few Youtube tutorials on creating clothing morphs for Daz Studio in Blender and Tony Vilters has done a couple of tutorials on how to export from Poser into Blender for clothing creation as well. As to getting some quality video tutorials I always recommend CG Masters has some great step by step tutorials free ones that are fantastic and just invested in their Space VFX Elements that so far have been a great motivator and Andrew Price on Youtube has some very good beginner and advance tutorials the resources for tutorials are endless for Blender

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Sickle has been using Blender for years. She made all her clothing using it. She does great tutorials.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
I didn't know that she'd started to use MD...seems to be the way that a lot of people are going. There are a number of tutorials about using it in conjunction with Zbrush.

kobaltkween

Brilliant
Contributing Artist
The thing about MD is that it's very expensive if you want to use it for products. Personally, I probably won't ever pay that money since they threatened me when I asked for clarification about that fact (what version you needed to buy to make Poser and DS products), and I just can't use a product I can't ask about, but I understand why people would think it worth the price.

Oh, and Blender supports sewing now.

eclark1894

Visionary
The thing about MD is that it's very expensive if you want to use it for products. Personally, I probably won't ever pay that money since they threatened me when I asked for clarification about that fact (what version you needed to buy to make Poser and DS products), and I just can't use a product I can't ask about, but I understand why people would think it worth the price.

Oh, and Blender supports sewing now.
It does, but truth to tell it feels like they just tacked it on. So I think it needs a bit more thought and development.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
I tried the MD when it originally came out as a sewer I thought it might be easier than modelling. However when I saw the price it put me off, that and the fact that their plug in for DS never eventuated.

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
First off, thanks everyone for posting these links. I've been going through on and off and using many of these as I try to up my Blender skills.

But there's one things I haven't found so far. Anyone know of any good tutorials on refining UVs in Blender? Most of the tutorials I've seen show you how to add a seem, maybe move things around a little, but then that's it. Of course a lot of the same tools work in the UV editor as elsewhere in blender, so I'm not totally lost. But what I'm trying to do is take a model from another program (MD if anyone cares) and improve the UV in Blender. Specifically straighten out the trim. I've had some luck with this, and I can brute force my way through it, but if there were a tutorial that would probably teach me a lot of tricks that would save me time.

If you want to see what I'm talking about I got the idea to straighten the trim from here: Texture Artists, what do you prefer in models?

Miss B

CV-BEE
Here ya go GG. I asked this very question in the Blender forum over at R'osity and got responses from Lobo3433 and Keppel that might help you.

Straightening Out Edges in UVMap view

Hmmmm, maybe I should add this link in the main post so others can find it easily. It's not necessarily a tutorial, but is certainly a good "tip" to have access to.

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
Thanks for the link. Some of that I've figured out, but there was some stuff that I think will help me as well. Part of what I'm struggling with is keeping the 'faces' in the UV the same relative size so that textures don't stretch or squish. But I think maybe if I pin down the stuff I like, and the use Blender's tools to re-unwrap the other stuff, it may work.

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
Ahhh, OK. Glad some of it was useful. :)

No actually, it gave me good ideas on how to approach the problem, which is helpful, because before I was just sort of pushing buttons I learned, and seeing what happened. I guess the thing is I kind of know the button presses, but not so much the workflow. So I think when I get back to this later today, it will help.

eclark1894

Visionary
Nice thing about that tutorial, is that it can also be used for making shoelaces for shoes and boots. Just lay out the vertices differently like you would if you're threading shoelace holes. Then convert press Alt C to convert the curve to mesh. Then thicken the line as needed. You can even tie a lace this way.

Miss B

CV-BEE
I haven't tried it yet, but I think it's going to make things that use knots easier to create.