• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Basic 3Delight Light Functions in DS

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE
*sticks nose in briefly to welcome Dakorillon and welcome back Sarge *

Dakorillon (IMArts)

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Hello, Dakorillon. Welcome to the forums. :) It's nice to meet you!

Thank You!

Could you take a screen shot of your surfaces tab for me on the eyes? And one of a rendered image so I can see what it's doing when it's rendered?

The things I would suspect, without having seen screenshots of the above two things, would be the Specular value, first of all. In your Surfaces tab, check the eye material zones (iris, pupil, cornea) and make sure that the "Specular Strength" is NOT set to a full 100%. Many textures leave the Specular Color set to true white, and the Specular Strength to 100%. I'd suggest turning down the Specular Strength to about 23%-25%, and set the Specular Color to more of a medium or light grey color, instead of the default full white.

However, that is just a guess without having the benefit of the screenshots. It could also be related to eye reflection maps and values on the various material zones for the eyes. If you could post a screen shot of the surfaces tab, and an example rendered image that shows the problem, it would help us to help you.

Also - what version of Studio are you running? And are you trying to render with 3Delight or Iray?

I'm running 4.8, and rendering with 3Delight mostly but Iray sometimes. I talked to some people on the Daz Addicts Facebook page, and they suggested setting all the render engines back to default. That fixed it for now. In the future, I will definitely check the Specular values, since I know I have messed them up in the past. Thank you for taking the time to answer.

As for lighting, I understand quite a lot about it from the artistic viewpoint (I've done 2D art for *mumble* years), but was still having problems, when I "think" everything is set up, it looks bad. I have gotten the tutorial on lighting that is free on DAZ, and that helped me to understand it a bit more! Rendering is crazy work! You do an amazing job.

Thank you again.