• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Anyone here understand HTML?

Faery_Light

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
I need someone to look at two pages and see if they are working right, if not to lend a hand.

The first page loads correctly for me but the second has one divider bar looking wrong.

So I want to see if it is just that way for me.

I've used Microsoft Expression 4 to create them and even used the "select all, center" for the page but that one bar still looks wrong.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I can take a look at them FL, though I've never used a Microsoft product to create HTML pages, as they usually add a lot of unnecessary code. Microsoft Word is guilty of that. Don't know about Microsoft Expression, as I don't have it.

Faery_Light

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Thanks.
I'll post the links in a pm here for you so you can see what they look like in a browser.
And how would I send the files?
Or can you do a "save as" on them?

Faery_Light

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Thank you. :)
It is working now and I am ready to post a link soon.
Not sure where that posting should go, Resources I guess since it is for all my free items so folks don't have to search all over sharecg now,

3dcheapskate

Engaged
First thing to do is make sure the markup's valid. I always use the W3C (WorldWide Web Consortium's) markup validator - The W3C Markup Validation Service (you can type a URL if it's already online, or upload the HTML source if it's not).
If that reports any errors then fix them. If it doesn't then check the page in different browsers as it might be a browser-specific problem.
If the markup's valid and all browsers display it the same then it's likely that the page is displaying exactly as it should - I'd double check your expectations !

Miss B

CV-BEE
I do the same as well, though using Microsoft software to create web pages will never give you fully valid markup. That's why I never use anything but a plain text editor.

In this case, FL just wanted a quick fix for the non-centering of a divbar on one of the pages.

D

Deleted member 325

I used to be good with HTML... but back in the day (as in back around the millenium when it was HTML3 and just getting into Dynamic HTML). I am very rusty, but still know a smattering of HTML and Javascript. I used to do it the hardway, using Notepad and hand typed code.

Not sure how much help I could be, but willing to try.

Miss B

CV-BEE
I used to do it the hardway, using Notepad and hand typed code.
I gave up on Notepad decades ago, The editor I use is an old Macromedia product called HomeSite+, but there's a neat freebie plain text editor I use for my own notes and stuff called Note Tab Light. Soooo much better than Notepad or Notepad++.

Oh and hand coding is the only way to really make sure it works correctly, but most folks don't want to take the time to learn, so they use what's available, sometimes online editors available at their web hosts. I don't find those easy to work with at all.

D

Deleted member 325

Interestingly enough I went with Hand coding because not only did none of the editors support features I wanted, but the local "professionals" insisted features I wanted (and had seen on other websites) could not be achieved. So I taught myself (This was circa 1998-2003 before my disability and related financial troubles). I still have the Black Book of HTML and the Black Book of Java (Two invaluable resources now long out of print).

Miss B

CV-BEE
I never got into Java, but I have the Black Book of XHTML, and I can't recall how many years I have it, but it's probably close to 2 decades, give or take a year.

Edited to Add: OK, I was wrong, it's called XHTML Black Book: A Complete Guide to Mastering XHTML, and it's circa 2000, so about 17 years.

D

Deleted member 325

Yes, that one and a few others were on my list at the time, but as I recall, locally anyway, those books were expensive (about $50 each if memory serves). I grabbed the 2 I knew I needed, and had planned to go back for more, but the business venture it was for never quite panned out (too many hours delivering Pizza to pay bills).

D

Deleted member 325

Just looked, mine were published by Coriolis Technology Press. $59.99 U.S. But the amount of information in them was invaluable. I am quite saddened that such detailed books are hard to find now. It seems now when I buy materials for further learning, is less detail and fact, and more the writer patting himself/herself on the back and showing just their personal techniques. I do not think I will ever part with these - even though they are deprecated now.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Yes, that one and a few others were on my list at the time, but as I recall, locally anyway, those books were expensive (about $50 each if memory serves).
Amazon is listing it now at $60, but I'm pretty sure I only paid maybe $45/$48 at the time, so yes about $50. I don't recall if I bought it as required reading for one of the web design classes I took, or just because it looked interesting, but I don't think I would pay $60 for it, if that's how much it was back then. Of course, the one they're selling now-a-days is most likely a newer edition.

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
I need someone to look at two pages and see if they are working right, if not to lend a hand.

The first page loads correctly for me but the second has one divider bar looking wrong.

So I want to see if it is just that way for me.

I've used Microsoft Expression 4 to create them and even used the "select all, center" for the page but that one bar still looks wrong.

I use to use MS Expression... Expression does some pretty weird things when creating CSS (style sheets) and often won't translate then correctly to various browsers. As Miss B said, it tends to write a lot of unneeded code that simply confuses browsers.

In simple html, creating a centered divider should look like this:

<center>
<hr>
</center>

If it's not appearing correctly, chances are there's some CSS code <style> or a <div> interfering with it. You'll find W3School a helpful site for html.If you're in the market for a new web editor, I love Pinegrow Wed Editor. It will allow you to easily create websites that look great any device from smartphones to desktops.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Yes Ken, and years ago, before MS Expression was introduced, a lot of folks used MS Word to create their web sites, and that's just as bad, if not worse.

Thanks for the link to Pinegrow. I've not heard of that one, as I've been using the same editor for many years, but occasionally I get asked for recommendations, and it's priced very reasonably.

Riccardo

Adventurous
But is the tag
<center>something</center>
still working?!?! It has been deprecated for ages.
Correct use nowadays is via CSS

Miss B

CV-BEE
That's correct Riccardo. I usually use a specific "width", and "text-align:center", for the page/section in the stylesheet. In FL's case, I would have done that in the "body" tag's styling so the whole page is centered.