• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

An article - Making 3DCG look like a traditional anime

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Very interesting article! I was aware of the general public rejection of 3D in Anime, but there is always hope that time and experience can improve things until people stop thinking about the media. Mind you, 3D has been used in Anime for decades, starting with the movie Akira, so this is not something as new as people think. ^^

Riccardo

Adventurous
This video is also very interesting. Unluckily, it is in Japanese with Italian subtitles but I cannot find an English version.
It is by the same studio. They make the anime Black Rock Shooter in 3D but they make it look as if it was made in 2D...

Bonnie2001

Extraordinary
The article is very good. I believe the technology and skill is already out there to make traditional 2D work with 3D methods. The 3D Charlie Brown movie is possibly the best example of this to date, and is a real credit to the production team.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
The 3D Charlie Brown movie is possibly the best example of this to date, and is a real credit to the production team.

Oh yes, that was a pretty impressive work with the extreme cartoonish expressions. I don't know how they pulled that out of 3D models, but they certainly have way more budget to try than those animation studios from Japan.

ibr_remote

Adventurous
The anime series I've been watching on Animax-Asia and Aniplus-Asia now have a lot of 3D CG: Knights of Sidonia, Berserk, parts of Attack on Titan, etc etc.
Polygon Studios uses 3D CG a lot, and have just made a Joint Venture with Unreal engine game devs Historia to create game AND anime content for production.
New company name is ElementFactory Inc.

CWRW

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Very interesting article! I'm not a big anime person (I do love the Studio Ghibli movies:) but I can really see the potential of this. And I hadn't seen the Charlie Brown 3D movie- went and watched some youtube trailers- def intriguing! Thanks for sharing this info!

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I hadn't seen the Charlie Brown 3D movie- went and watched some youtube trailers- def intriguing!

I think anyone who works with 3D should watch that Charlie Brown movie, because it's a good example of 3D being applied in such a way that people are no longer looking at 3D models, but instead at characters in a story. That used to be a privilege reserved to Pixar movies. :)

Bonnie2001

Extraordinary
I think anyone who works with 3D should watch that Charlie Brown movie, because it's a good example of 3D being applied in such a way that people are no longer looking at 3D models, but instead at characters in a story. That used to be a privilege reserved to Pixar movies. :)

I agree with you there Ken. I think the Charlie Brown movie is a masterpiece in that nothing was lost in the translation from 2D to 3D. The whole thing was done to perfection.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I agree with you there Ken. I think the Charlie Brown movie is a masterpiece in that nothing was lost in the translation from 2D to 3D. The whole thing was done to perfection.

Very true, though an interview with the studio reveals that it was painstakingly hard to do it, where they say they don't want to do something like that anytime soon! LOL