• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

A Question about Jewelry

eclark1894

Visionary
Primarily about earrings. I don't buy... well any... jewelry as I don't have a girlfriend or wife and my mother is deceased, but I do know what they look like. That said, should jewelry for Dawn or LaFemme or ... whoever be so realistic that it displays the clasp or hook or stud that is used to keep it attached to the ear of the figure? After all, it can be smartpropped pr parented to the figure so is a little detail like a clasp on an earring or necklace really going to be noticed?

I ask because I think I might be modeling some jewelry soon, just to get in the practice, and want to know what you think?

1576064378560.png

Rowan54

Dragon Queen
Contributing Artist
Certainly more realistic with the clasp, and I've seen some models with, which makes it easier to render the peeps from the back and have it look right. (Assuming short hair where the back of the ear would show) However, I've seen plenty of hoop earrings or studs without a clasp. Your choice, ultimately. However, if the buyer is looking for a high quality jewelry set, the clasp is a Very Nice Touch that shows Attention To Detail.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I was just going to post pretty much what Rowan stated, as it does depend on the length of hair, and in what direction the lady is facing.

HaiGan

Energetic
Contributing Artist
Is there any milage in modelling the hook or back and also offering a 'lower poly' version without that? Maybe not? Personally I like detail, as long as the poly count is optimised.

eclark1894

Visionary
I do have a slight question to ask. As you can see I'm in the middle of making some hoop earrings. Now I'm using a reference pic as you can see, but then I noticed something seems to be missing. There don't seem to be any clip ends or what ever they're called to keep the posts from slipping out. Is that normal, is am I right and their missing?

1576100678099.png

HaiGan

Energetic
Contributing Artist
There should be push-on bits. Usually circular, slightly cupped with a central hole, and a curled strip from two opposite sides to make a grip. Google "earring fasteners".

eclark1894

Visionary
Took your advice and googled it. It looks like they're called "ear nuts". I hadn't planned on making any really small earrings, but I just might.

1576104250437.png

Rowan54

Dragon Queen
Contributing Artist
I don't know what those are, but they're nothing like anything I've ever worn. I'm trying to find close up photos. Lacking those, I'll take some pics of the variety of fasteners in my jewelry box.

Rowan54

Dragon Queen
Contributing Artist
Okay, I took some photos. Hopefully they're clear enough. (Point & shoot camera, hand-held LED flashlight and earrings on a sheet of white notebook paper....really pro set up....not.)
This first picture is "butterfly backs". On and off of the earring itself. Sorry, this photo is a little fuzzy. However the shadow shows where the hole is in the butterfly clip.
butterfly.JPG

Rowan54

Dragon Queen
Contributing Artist
The second (probably easier to model) is a push-on clip for the back of a stud earring.
earring_push on.JPG

Rowan54

Dragon Queen
Contributing Artist
Next photo has two kinds of hoops. The larger set has a small hook and a spring. (One shown open, one closed.) The smaller set of hoops actually is a hollow tube and the ear wire portion slips into it (even though the hoop doesn't look it, it's flexible enough to pull apart and let it slip in or out.)
hoops.jpg

Rowan54

Dragon Queen
Contributing Artist
The last set of items shows an ear wire that clips (one open, one closed, and one wire without an earring...I did have extras because I made a few earrings for myself at one time.) And lastly, something I was told was called a "French drop" which is a solid bit of metal and no fastener. It stays on because of gravity.
wires.JPG
french.JPG

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Most earrings I had came with the butterfly back you showed Rowan. I eventually got a pair with the push on back, which I preferred.

I never had a pair that came with the "ear nut."

After the second time the holes in my earlobes healed over, I gave up wearing pierced earrings. I figured if my body insisted on healing the holes ... despite years of wearing pierced earrings both times, I wasn't meant to have holes in my earlobes.

eclark1894

Visionary
Well, I decided to look it up again, and this time I found the following definition of "ear nuts": Earring Nut or Ear Nut. Earring nuts, earring backs, and clutches are all used to keep earring posts and earwire designs secure and snug on your ear. Earring nuts are a style of earring back or clutch that "screw" onto the earring post.

So basically your "butterfly backs" are ear nuts too.

Rowan54

Dragon Queen
Contributing Artist
Butterfly backs push on. They do not screw on and I'd think the screw treads would be painful.

eclark1894

Visionary
I looked it up again. Butterfly Backs or "clutch" backs fit into a notch on the post to keep it snug. So they don't mean they literally "screw" on. It seems to be more a a pinching fit on the post.

Rowan54

Dragon Queen
Contributing Artist
Actually, there is a bump they slide over. (Check my photo.)

However, I don't think that that much detail is necessary in a model. That part wouldn't be visible when the jewelry is on the person.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
The earring looks like your off to a good start.

As far as necklaces go, I don't think you could go wrong with pearls. I have what are called a matinee length double strand of pearls, and they are always my first choice when "going out". Mine has a diamond clasp, as I wanted something "dressier" looking than the one large pearl.

DoubleStrandPearls.jpg