• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Trick to see when ambient changes

ockham

This animation is supposed to show molecules moving through the nose and triggering the olfactory neurons. The neurons are 'activated' by changing the ambient value. The third one is activated at this frame.

Poser's preview is defective when it comes to showing ambient, and I was getting frustrated. I couldn't match the frame when the ambient turns on with the frame when the molecule hits the neuron. The ambient was turning on two or three frames late and staying on for two or three frames.

I found the solution accidentally. If you HOVER the mouse over the prop that has the ambient, the changes will show in the preview immediately. You don't need to click on the prop, which can move it around. Just hover.

test.jpg

ockham

Come to think of it, those neurons look like mice. Maybe they were just saying Hi to the mouse pointer.

sapat

Brilliant
QAV-BEE
This animation is supposed to show molecules moving through the nose and triggering the olfactory neurons. The neurons are 'activated' by changing the ambient value. The third one is activated at this frame.

On a side note...that's a really nice medical illustration! Would be cool to see the actual animation unless it violates a TOA.

sapat

Brilliant
QAV-BEE
Okay. Here's a GIF version. It's not especially interesting... the single frame really shows what's happening.

That's really quite fascinating...aside from your discovery in Poser about hovering....

Anything that actually shows movement connects the audience to the illustration. As a medical professional for over 20 years working in critical care and the operating room, I've been to tons of seminars, inservice presentations and mandatory classes which were snooze fests. Showing the process in motion for me really takes it to another level of interest.

ockham

It's nice to know that animation makes a difference!

I've been writing courseware for speech and hearing / audiology for 20 years, sort of semi-retiredly. Basically working full-time every other year. This animation is for a neuro textbook.

sapat

Brilliant
QAV-BEE
It's nice to know that animation makes a difference!
I've been writing courseware for speech and hearing / audiology for 20 years, sort of semi-retiredly. Basically working full-time every other year. This animation is for a neuro textbook.
It really does help to see the motion. Is the textbook computerized? Must be if you're including animation. When I was in school (1978-1982) we didn't even have computers. Kids nowadays have it so good! :geek: