• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Trick for animating partial visibility

ockham

Here's a little trick for "opening up" part of an object that doesn't have separate materials. I used this on Sparky's bones for the Big Cat. I'm doing anatomy courseware and needed to "open" each side of the skull to show a brain inside.

The trick involves the P variable node. In this case I set the Z value of the variable to 1 and the others to 0, because the skeleton is placed sideways. Note that the P variable doesn't have any connection to U and V of the figure; it's solely based on the directions in the scene.

The animation or flipping is done with the two numbers in the Add node. Everything else is constant.
frontside.jpg backside.jpg

English Bob

Adventurous
Awesome. Noted!

Edited to add: I can imagine driving the p node x, y, and z inputs with some math nodes to make a more complex intersection... Hmm...

ockham

Yes. If nothing else, you could certainly animate the active one (Z here) for a sort of 'peel-back' effect.