• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Superfly weird draw distance question.

McGyver

Energetic
I've finally started messing around with P11 Pro after buying it on sale a few months ago.
One of the first things I wanted to try was a city I made a while ago...
For some reason when I use Superfly, it won't render past a certain distance... But in Firefly, it renders as it should.
If you look at the difference, it seems like there is some invisible dome or cylinder blocking the render.
I turned of the ground prop and even deleted it and this still occurs.
I've looked everywhere and I don't see any option to enable or turn off that makes sense.
Any ideas?
By the way thank you in advance for your time!

Superfly Render:

Firefly Render:

Simple DS iRay Render:

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Ohhh that's looking good.

BTW, when you say you turned off and deleted the Ground plane, are you sure that was the Construct (which PP11 uses instead of the old Ground Plane) by default. If you have the Hierarchy Chart open, look for The Construct in the list of items you have in your scene, because it CANNOT be deleted, but can be hidden/made invisible.

I suspect that's why you're not seeing the whole scene.

Then again, why did the whole scene render in FireFly. Hmmmmm, I'm no expert as far as SuperFly goes, so not sure what else would hide the rest of the scene.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Ohhhhh I totally forgot about the camera settings. Good call Seach.

That said, I wonder why it only affected the SuperFly render, and not the FireFly render, because it certainly looks like he used the same camera setup for both.

seachnasaigh

Energetic
Poser's preview renderer accounts for hither & yon, but Firefly has always raytraced out as far as needed to hit something.
Superfly is an adaptation of Cycles, which accounts for hither & yon settings. If you tell Superfly to clip at 100 Poser native units (the camera default), then Superfly is going to clip at 100 PNU. My Lothlorien set needs yon set to 600 or so to see the far side of the envirodome.

You can exploit clipping to render a complex scene in layers, if doing the whole scene at once exhausts your RAM.

McGyver

Energetic
Thank you both!
Yes, seachnasaigh it was the yon setting... I didn't expect that it would change for the different rendering methods.
So far I tried 3600 PNU and it seems to get most of the building in the shot, but I imagine it will probably be more if I move the camera back more... I did not bother to save yesterday's scene, so today's test was a different camera angle.

That's a cool light set.
This is my own model though, I made a background for a promo imagine and then expanded it a bit.
It is from at least three or fours years back, before iRay and Superfly made their debuts.
In DS, I experimented with some emissive masks and it looked pretty cool, but I really only started on one model.
There are quite a few image files for all the buildings, but I want do a Day/Night version for both iRay and Superfly.
A while back I started redoing all the image files... Half the textures in there are from CGTextures or whatever that site is or was... Even though they say you can use them for freebies, I only want to redistribute my own, so I started creating a similar looking image for each, using Filter Forge... Also because that way I can get a bump and emissive mask too.

Now I have to get the hang of Cycles materials.

I know some folks hate PBRs, but I think for outdoor stuff they look great.

Thank you seachnasaigh and Miss B, you really helped me out, and thanks for answering so quick.
I know it sounds lazy to ask stupid questions that probably have simple answers to, but I have a limited amount of time and I figured someone must know this already, and by the time I find it or figure it out, I'll have forgotten why I started.

Have a great day and smooth renderings!