• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

SuperFly verses FireFly

AlphinaNovaStar

Energetic
Poser 11 pro tends to choose SuperFly renderer over FireFly renderer. Maybe I am doing something wrong but my SuperFly renders look odd texture wise but my FireFly renders look normal. Is there a way to default to FireFly?
Or do I need to learn how to redo texture settings to work in SuperFly? I paid for poser last year and I want to use it more than I do now but this renderer issue is one of the reasons I do not play with poser much.

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
Poser 11 pro tends to choose SuperFly renderer over FireFly renderer. Maybe I am doing something wrong but my SuperFly renders look odd texture wise but my FireFly renders look normal. Is there a way to default to FireFly?
Or do I need to learn how to redo texture settings to work in SuperFly? I paid for poser last year and I want to use it more than I do now but this renderer issue is one of the reasons I do not play with poser much.

The only thing that Superfly really "demands" you change are skin settings and that is a two click solution with EZSkin3.

Here's an example for you. A promo I did for my Dawn dress. I'm using the exact same lights, props and settings in both render engines, and the scene is an oldie but goodie - mclean's Ice Cream Parlor for Bar Italia. I think the renders speak for themselves.

Firefly render, Vince Banga's Sunlight lights

IceCream.jpg

Superfly render, same lights, same scene
TSDress_Superfly.jpg

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
Mine defaults to Superfly, which is what I prefer so that's fine for me. But clearly if other people have Firefly as their default there is a way to set it. I'm not sure what it is though. I couldn't find it in the normal preferences. (Although I have noticed that P11 does remember which renderer you were using when you save a file and will default to that one when you reopen it, which is good).

kobaltkween

Brilliant
Contributing Artist
Everything in "defaults" of a new scene is in the default scene. If you set your default scene to render in Firefly, that's your default renderer. If you set your default scene to render in Superfly...

jecnodde

Admirable
Exaktly what kobolt writes: if you set poser to start in default - it will.

I have my poser set to start with a blank scene and just one light (I allways delete those default lights anyway) and I have also set my scenes render setting. This is something we have been able to do since p5 :p I hope and guess you can do it in poser 11 to :)

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Yes, I have a few startup scenes saved depending on whether I want to use the Main Camera (my default), Face Camera (semi closeups), and even 2 for rendering thumbnails for items I save to the various Libraries (e.g., shirts and/or pants/skirts).

seachnasaigh

Energetic
...my SuperFly renders look odd texture wise...
Or do I need to learn how to redo texture settings to work in SuperFly?
This is a valid point. Many materials set up for Firefly render poorly in Superfly. This is generally because the material uses "cheats" to get Firefly to produce a desired effect, such as reflective metals, various specular highlight effects, or ambient occlusion.

But Superfly does these things inherently, so manually adding more specular results in blown-out highlights.
Superfly just naturally accounts for ambient occlusion, so manually adding ambient occlusion makes no sense (Superfly will likely ignore the node as gibberish).
Firefly required several nodes to get a decent reflective metal; but you tell Superfly "This is metallic" and it does the rest. One node (ks_microfacet) to the old PoserSurface root, or zero nodes to the PhysicalSurface root with the metallicity value set to 1, and you're done, and you will get better metals than the complex Firefly material. I prefer to add one Fresnel_Blend node to the PhysicalSurface root, to get a shift in color/saturation as the metal is viewed from different angles.