• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Poser Tip/Trick

Lyne

Distinguished
HW Honey Bear
Every once in a while, I 'accidentally' discover an easier way to do something in poser...

I often have so many things in my scene, poser won't allow me to just click on an object to select...

Just now, I was trying to select (with cursor-click) one flower or flower group in a field of many different flower groups and was defeated..... Meanwhile I went into the material room, to turn down some shine on a flower petal...so used the EYE DROPPER there, to select the plant/part...

Upon returning to the Pose room to get back to work and move that plant...I realized that choosing it in the material room MADE IT THE ACTIVE PROP in my scene! Solution found! YAY!

Thought I'd pass it on!

Poser Pro 2014

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Neat trick Lyne. I never had P10 or PP2014, but I do have P9 and PP11, and I always use the Hierarchy Editor for selecting items in a scene. (See screenshot below) The right facing arrows are parts of the body I have collapsed, just so I don't have to scroll down too far to find what I want. In that case, I click on it so it expands the section of the item I want to work on, and then it'll list everything in that "list".

If you don't have that visible, you can find it near the top of the Windows menu.

I was so used to selecting items in the Scene Tab in DS for so many years, I immediately started using the Hierarchy Editor when I got back to Poser.

PoserHierarchyEditor.jpg

English Bob

Adventurous
Here's an alternative selection method that I only just found out about, despite it being in Poser at least since P7. :oops:
Place the cursor over the thing you want to select, but instead of left-clicking and hoping for the best, right-click (assuming a right-handed mouse setup, of course). You'll get a menu with the thing that left-click would select at the top - if that's right, go ahead and choose it.
A bit further down, there's a 'select' sub-menu. That contains all the things in your scene that are behind the cursor.

An additional bonus for people like me who usually have the Translate/Pull editing tool active, is that it saves all that random clicking which can sometimes move an item without you realising it.

seachnasaigh

Energetic
New to P11, there is now a select tool; use it to point at something in the scene window, and clicking selects that item without accidentally moving it or other such problems. It's the diagonal arrow icon (highlighted yellow).

No help for those using P10/Pro2014 or earlier, though.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Here's an alternative selection method that I only just found out about, despite it being in Poser at least since P7. :oops:
Place the cursor over the thing you want to select, but instead of left-clicking and hoping for the best, right-click (assuming a right-handed mouse setup, of course). You'll get a menu with the thing that left-click would select at the top - if that's right, go ahead and choose it.
A bit further down, there's a 'select' sub-menu. That contains all the things in your scene that are behind the cursor.

An additional bonus for people like me who usually have the Translate/Pull editing tool active, is that it saves all that random clicking which can sometimes move an item without you realising it.
Ohhhh, now that's not something I've come across before, and I'm used to right-clicking for submenus in most software. Thanks for the heads-up.

English Bob

Adventurous
New to P11, there is now a select tool.

I hadn't realised it was that new! I was overjoyed when I saw it - no more accidental movements! But I'm so used to running with the translate/pull tool that I miss it when it's not immediately to hand. Thing is, I do want to move something that way quite often.

Thanks for the heads-up.

You're welcome! I wonder how many other handy features are right under my nose, waiting to be discovered.

Lyne

Distinguished
HW Honey Bear
Solved my "objects jumping around in the scene area (like complex hair jumping off figure's head)...DUH!!
TURN OFF SUB-D IN PREVIEW MODE! I sub-divide everything lately... but looking at the gogmagog log I just bought, it was set up with sub-D at 0 in preview, and 1 for render ... so did that on everything in my scene, and all quieted down!! SO! apparently even with my HIGH end hardware/video card, sub-D made things "too heavy" for Poser to display correctly! :)