• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Looking to buy an entire city square and maybe a town too

spearcarrier

Admirable
I've been looking for quite some time and I just can't seem to locate what I want, so I'm turning to the folks who know more than me for suggestions.

I need a city environment to build from. What I'm looking for I realize is going to take more than one environment to cobble together, but to begin I can't find the very thing I want to begin with. So I'm attaching a rough sketch of what I hope to put together, not to scale...

The problem. There's an old city in Florida named Fernandina Beach. It's actually older than St. Augustine, but a technicality puts St. Augustine in the older bracket. It's silly. Anyway, It's the land of seven flags, as it has been under seven flags of ownership one of which was that of a bonafide pirate.

I've got this story planned, and I decided the setting would be a place based upon Fernandina Beach. A large part of the story, or at least some of the more important bits, would be happening in the old city centre - a magical place with surviving turn of the century houses (that don't look like England or New England houses), an old plantation house, the city hall, a lot of tiny shops (one of which was named Slightly Off Centre because it was), an old historical bar which was the oldest of... somewhere... anyway... that sadly burned down, a pirate statue mascot and... the most important part... a fountain.

I've looked at a lot of possible environments, and I've even decided one would make good for the residential scenes, but nothing has the right look. The historical type towns don't have power cables, for example, because they have horse drawn carriages. Or the houses look like they're in Germany or China or something.

Fernandina has a river dock, too. (Yes, it has a beach and a river. Because you really can have it all.) All of the docks I find are these super industrialized city docks, or medieval docks... and argh. I don't want super tall buildings and cranes. I want modern but small town. With houseboats as well as shrimper boats.

So perhaps someone can point me in a possible building base direction that is what I'm looking for. I hope.

I know I can modulate some of this.... I... really need a firm tapestry to modulate ON.

So far the closest I've come to only part of the area is Mountain Valley by Mely3D. But before I commit to getting this I'd like to see what else there is.

I've attached an image of the old layout (it's probably changed since I've moved) and maybe folks will get sparks of ideas?

oh. and.
Aerial view of Fernandina Beach - Fernandina Beach, Florida

This is how it looked when I was a kid. That triangle welcome center doesn't exist anymore. But this is what I'm sort of looking for. See the clean docks and the happy boats. *squints* Holy crap. I think that's my father's boat.

Image1.jpg

Powerage has several city packs, like Residential or Powertown though the latter ist most probably too modern. Residential has several styles in it, but probably too modern as well.

I would try the Movie Sets by Dreamland Models at DAZ3D/RMP. They look like out of the 40s, 50s with power cables etc. And they should work similar to Dystopia City blocks, so you can build a city with different blocks.

River Dock would need to come from another pack, haven't seen any city pack with a river dock in it.

seachnasaigh

Energetic
@spearcarrier : Can you model? What 3D studio are you using? (D/S? Poser11Pro? Other?)

Once I finish current projects, I could put something like this together, but the buildings would be generic shops, etc., and you would need to populate it (add trees, etc.) Do you need any interiors?

If the pirate statue is important, I would need a pic, and I still probably couldn't make a good likeness.

I would need a pic of the fountain and a map of its location.

In any case, I'm deeply involved in projects right now, so I wouldn't be able to attempt this for some time yet.

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
I would definitely go with Dreamland's City Block series. City Park and Block 13 should give you a perfect setting, look them up at Renderosity.

Red Eagle

This is one of Dreamland's City Blocks used several times in a scene. Nice thing with the city block is that you get a different look by rotating it 90 degrees.
Big Picture Being Watched01.jpg
Did this as a train layout and my grandson looking on.

spearcarrier

Admirable
Geez. I never got notification of replies here and thought no one had answered. I should have known better and checked. Sorry about that guys.

"I would try the Movie Sets by Dreamland Models at DAZ3D/RMP. They look like out of the 40s, 50s with power cables etc. And they should work similar to Dystopia City blocks, so you can build a city with different blocks."

Well I did look at the movie sets, and one or two I'm planning on for other scenes. Thank you. :) Too bad they're not right for the town center. I have decided to make this a very small town, the kind where everyone knows everyone. FNDN isn't like that, but this is my fantasy world.

"Dreamland @Daz and RS, maybe Collective3d@Daz (houses)"

I looked? I found the movie sets and some modular (and gorgeous) houses. Is that what you meant? And then I see...

"This is one of Dreamland's City Blocks used several times in a scene. Nice thing with the city block is that you get a different look by rotating it 90 degrees." And others.

Not much came up when looking for that, and certainly not anything in the image there. My search foo is usually quite weak, though. I'll look harder.

"Once I finish current projects, I could put something like this together, but the buildings would be generic shops, etc., and you would need to populate it (add trees, etc.) Do you need any interiors?"

My heart just stopped in hope... No, no I don't need interiors. I just needed something river/beach like with the right shape to work on. I'm going to have to make my own shop signs as I want the signs to be funny/punnish, etc.

"If the pirate statue is important, I would need a pic, and I still probably couldn't make a good likeness."

I hadn't actually thought of making the pirate statue, but if I were going to I'd simply stick Hiro 3 in pirate gear and place him somewhere. No worries. Now that you mention it, though, I should. Hrm. Maybe a haunted statue....

"I would need a pic of the fountain and a map of its location."

Well, the problem with the fountain I just found out as I started this foray is that... the real one is crumbling and in seriously danger. It's a land mark! How very sad. I had plans of just finding any old fancy fountain that I liked and using that. One with a mermaid or fish spouting water would be awesome. I may end up taking a plain fountain base and adding fish/mermaid. Unless someone has a favorite fountain they'd like to suggest.

"In any case, I'm deeply involved in projects right now, so I wouldn't be able to attempt this for some time yet."

You're awesome to even consider it. And the project isn't a rush on my end either. At least not yet. I'll be slowly building the world while I write scripts.

I ended up getting Mountain Valley (Mountain Valley | 3D Models and 3D Software by Daz 3D) even though that looks like where I live more than it does where I was born and raised in Florida. LOL. I'm not completely happy with it. I haven't had time to work with it to see if it's tweakable, and I'm still keeping an open mind for a better option.

I wonder if I added some palm trees (which I shall have to find and buy) if that will help. I'm sure I can find the right train yard, but... that one city block image up above has the PERFECT train tracks.

And with the new DAZ I'm looking to maybe begin a slow switch to Poser for serious. It depends.