• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Got a small issue...

eclark1894

Visionary
Okay, I have several questions which all pertain to the same issue. I have a dark splotch on my refrigerator and as of this moment I don't quite know why or how to get rid of it. ALTHOUGH, I have seen this issue before and even saw a video telling you how to get rid of it, I don't know how to find that video. As far as I can tell though, it renders just fine, so there are no problems with it in that regard. Still would that be an issue with QAV? Truth is, I still want to get rid of it if I can though so it won't even make it to QAV. Anyone got any suggestions that don't involve me just redoing the door?

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Haven't a clue Earl. What kind of material setup are you using, and if you're seeing it in Blender, are you also seeing it in Poser and/or DS?

In both DS and Poser, procedural materials don't look the same in Preview mode as they do in Render mode, so that may be what you're seeing. If you're only seeing it in Blender, than QAV won't see it. Do you have a screenshot of it?

eclark1894

Visionary
Actually, I'm only seeing it in Poser's Preview mode. I don't see it in Blender at all.

Edit: I actually take that back, I just saw it in a Poser render too. It's faint but it's there. Crap, I'm going to have to redo that door. If you can't quite see it, it's on the corner of the door under the ice machine.

Blotch.png

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
What does it look like in Smooth Lined mode. It could almost be a shadow. It might also have to do with reflections. Sometimes they can do strange things.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I was just thinking of lighting, but that would mean something is blocking it, so have to wonder "what" is blocking it and causing the shadow.

I'm just not sure if that's a modelling issue. Check how you textured it. If it's just a diffuse color of red, then I don't know what could be causing it.

parkdalegardener

Adventurous
This is an issue with Firefly self shading in corners. There was a long conversation about it on Rendo last fall or winter. I cannot remember the solution or even if there was one. That was in PP2014. I cannot find the thread at the moment. My searchfu is not good on that site any more. You could try taking a look yourself. You may have better luck.

Normally this is fixed with the Min Shading Rate. It is .95 by default. Try lowering it to .4 or .5 and see if it goes away and/or lessens. I use .2 in Firefly and that seems to work but it increases rendering time by a measurable amount.

I'm recovering from a building fire here that took out most of my belongings, three computers; and all my back up drives and dvds. The info you seek was on one of them.

eclark1894

Visionary
PDG, I am so sorry to hear of your troubles. You have my sympathy, and thanks for your help. I suppose it doesn't really matter anymore... unless the problem shows up again, since I've already rebuilt and slightly redesigned the fridge door. I haven't quite finished yet, but I'll post an image when I finish.

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
I'm recovering from a building fire here that took out most of my belongings, three computers; and all my back up drives and dvds. The info you seek was on one of them.

So sorry to hear about that. I've had friends loose stuff to both fire and floods. Even if you had great insurance, it's never good. At least I hope everyone in your family is okay.

eclark1894

Visionary
I was just thinking of lighting, but that would mean something is blocking it, so have to wonder "what" is blocking it and causing the shadow.

I'm just not sure if that's a modelling issue. Check how you textured it. If it's just a diffuse color of red, then I don't know what could be causing it.
It was just a diffuse color.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist

So sorry to hear this...it's never good to have something like this happen. Insurance doesn't cover all the little things like photos and stuff that just can't be replaced.

parkdalegardener

Adventurous
It's fine. No insurance but such is life. I learned a long time ago that there are things I can stress over and control; but there is no point in stressing out over things you cannot control.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
True...sometimes you just have to let go. I'm doing that at work at the moment so totally understand.

eclark1894

Visionary
Well, basically, I had to rebuild this Refrigerator from the ground up. It still has some artifacts, but like PDG said, it seems to be a Poser thing. I don't really know enough about DS yet to make a determination. Here's a quick render with some built in Poser shaders applied. Dawn's looking for some cake.

hungry.png

eclark1894

Visionary
She keeps a spotless kitchen since I haven't modeled any virtual dirt yet.;)

I like it shiny, but users can dial back the reflection value on the nodes if they like. I'll leave it up to them.

Robynsveil

Admirable
Not sure if this is particularly helpful, but I I've seen that issue before myself (not a fridge, but also a flat surface like that) and it turned out the mesh had a wee divot there - one of the verts was just a tiny bit off. I've also fixed that sort of thing by highlighting just that surface and clicking "remove doubles".

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Everything I model in 3DSMAX looks marvelous there, until I bring it into Poser. This is NOT a bug. This is related to the way Pixar Renderman deals with geometry and shaders, which is completely different from 3DSMAX or Blender. Renderman was created to render organic characters, so it tries to smooth everything out, which of course, tends to be bad for hard surfaces. The original Poser didn't allow importing models, so characters were indeed the only thing it would render.

There are ways to deal with this, where the simplest is to simply disable the "smooth" option on the model properties in Poser. That can fix almost everything in hard surface (non-organic) models. But there are cases where edges need to be chamfered properly for things to work out in Poser, and this has to do with the fact that both Poser and DS use a variant of Renderman that was nor meant to renders non-organic models. Hard surface means an edge is only hard if it has tightened edges around it. But then there might be problems when we want to chamfer edges on corners of hard edges, because some modelers tend to make a MESS at the corners. 3DSMAX 2016 has *finally* announced they fixed this after YEARS of messing up my models, so it's no small issue. Not sure about Blender, but that tends to be an issue with other programs too. 3DSMAX now offers options to produced chamfers with triangles or quads, but it sometimes STILL makes a complete mess at the corners, depending on the model. That may be the case with your refrigerator, and it only shows in renderers such as Pixar Renderman, which is used in both Poser and DS. Check your model to see if Blender didn't make a mess on the ice box corners, or maybe it's not chamfered at all. Remember a hard edge is only "hard" if properly chamfered, and hopefully not destroyed in the process. Happens a lot with 3DSMAX, though it won't show until I bring it to Poser.

Hope it helps. :)