• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Wondering about Blender

Dreamer

Dream Weaver Designs
I am wondering just how much of a brain melt it would be to use Blender to make stuff and morphs for Poser/DS.
I have been using Silo but have got highly fed up with the consent crashing when I do even the smallest of things. I don't have money to put into another modeling program and of the free ones Blender is probably the best.
Would love to hear from those of you using it for content creation about it, am I going to be able to get to grips easily or am I going to be loosing hair in chunks?
Thanks

eclark1894

Visionary
Can't say much about using it for morphing, but once you get past learning the interface, Blender's great for creating content. And there's plenty of help and tutorials around available as well.

Dreamer

Dream Weaver Designs
Thanks, its the learning bit that is putting me off to be honest. I did look at blender years ago and just couldn't get a handle on it

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I felt the same way years ago, and that was before they came out with the current UI. The old version 2.4x UI was atrocious, but it was free software, and I took my time (and thanks to many, many tutorials), I got a handle on it. It's definitely not something you can learn quickly, but if you stick with it, you'll eventually become comfortable with it.

There are many tutorials out there (check out my long list of help and tutorials here in the Blender forum), so look for something you want to learn, and go for it. Take your time, and you'll get there.

Dreamer

Dream Weaver Designs
Mis B I am not very good at taking my time lol I want to have done it yesterday and I want to learn every thing at once :roflmao: Hmm still maybe once I get a few things sorted I should have another look

Miss B

CV-BEE
I know the feeling, and I get so frustrated when I can't get it right the first time.

DigiDotz

Adventurous
Agreed, the features are great. It can do a lot of things.

If you start by focusing on learning the modeling side only at first I think it wont take too long to learn.
Most of the tool icons pop-up a small description of what they do when you hover the mouse over them -which is very helpful

Darryl

Adventurous
Agreed, the features are great. It can do a lot of things.

If you start by focusing on learning the modeling side only at first I think it wont take too long to learn.
Most of the tool icons pop-up a small description of what they do when you hover the mouse over them -which is very helpful

Yes. I don't know it well but it's easy to be distracted by all the various capabilities. I'm trying to focus on modeling, UVing and texturing for now, but I've used it for simple morphing as well.

Aylaaenas_Evenwing

Adventurous
I love Blender, it works great with DS. This is what i made in several hours:

dawnblender.jpg

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
I REALLY want to like Blender but I get all brain melty when I use it! lmao Believe it or not I have no issues with ZBrush though. Go figure! lmao

Miss B

CV-BEE
It's what you get used to Rich, or it may just be ZBrush's workflow fits your workflow better.

I've been playing in Blender for about 10 years now (give or take a year or two), so I'm used to it, but trust me, I don't know all there is to know about Blender. For example, I've never tried sculpting in Blender, even though I know it can handle it. As you said, go figure. ;)

Dreamer

Dream Weaver Designs
With texturing is that like painting in 3D? If it is then that would really give me the push I need to learn it as it would really really help with fixing seams!

Miss B

CV-BEE
From what I understand from posts I've read elsewhere, Blender can do that, but I've never tried it, so don't know for sure. If it's possible, I suspect there's a Blender tutorial on YouTube to show you how.

Faery_Light

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Blender lets you paint right on the model or map.
There are tutorials on site.
That is my next goal. :)

LeoLee

Enthusiast
Contributing Artist
Hi Dreamer, I started using Blender last year. At the beginning was a little difficult. I was stuck with the selection with right click. So I changed to the left click (all the softwares I use selects with left click) and then I started learning really fast.
What I know is the basic yet, but I can make some stuff as you can see here
Don't be intimidated by the bunch of buttons. You'll use only a few to work with. Learning the shortcuts is the key.
I recommend you the Darrin Lile's tutorials for the uvmap and texture painting.

ArtisanS

Contributing Artist
I make all my stuff with a combination of Blender and Substance Painter. Blender is great but the learning curve looks like the Eiger Northface.......it is grewsome, but when you reach the top the view from up there is amazing....I just whiched there would be an equivalent to the Jungfraujoch bahn (wich I used) to make things easier. At CGBytes Sixtus1 cals Blender one of the high end applications and surely it is. As for tuts all stuff from Andy Price (Blenderguru) is great, but so is CGCookie stuff. Hell I even viewed Spanish tut from Argentina and Portugese tuts from Brazil (developing linguistic skills as well).

Blender can do texture painting but as it stands is far from intuitive (Dutchies like to do thing more complicated then needed mostly, and I'm Dutch). Therefore I bit the bullet and bought into to the Substance Painter/Designer experience for 20 od dollars a month. Now that speeds up the pipeline like a TGV (to keep into the train metaphore) does to a high speed line (and yes we have a 10 billion dollar highspeed line running from Amsterdam to Brussels, but no TGV to run on it).

Greets, ArtisanS

Last edited: