• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Who is your favourite artist/artists and why?

Mythocentric

Extraordinary
The best inspiration for an artist is other artists and their work, so who stands out in your mind. To start the ball rolling these are the three who, for me, stand out head and shoulders above the rest! All female, all Surrealists and all very unique individuals.

First up is Leonora Carrington, a local lass (from Lancashire) and debutante who escaped the restricted and stultifying life she was expected to live to become very much her own woman. She appears in this video with Joanna Moorhead, a relative, who sought her out when she discovered that she was practically unknown in her native land whilst becoming one of the most recognised and enduring Surrealists to the rest of the world. Her work is often steeped in hermeticism and the esoteric traditions. There is an excellent book by Joanna Moorhead based on the interviews about her life called 'The Surreal Life of Leonora Carrington'.

Next up is Dorothea Tanning, an American who, like Leonora Carrington was once married to Max Ernst, and like Carrington, eventually outstripped him. A prolific artist who with her many talents produced paintings, poetry, novels, set designs and clothing together with what became known as 'soft sculpture'. She was still working when she died at the age of 101 years!

Finally, another prolific artist in the form of Leonor Fini from Argentina. Although a Surrealist at heart she is known for her ability to introduce the concept of Realism (a school which originated in South America) into her work, which frequently gives her paintings, which often depict strong women, a richness and vibrancy all of their own!

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I guess 2 artists stand out for me. I'm crazy about Alphonse Mucha's Art Nouveau work, and have a group of his prints. I've also liked M.C. Escher since the first time I saw his Relativity lithograph when I was in High School. I couldn't imagine how anyone could come up with a piece of artwork that had about a dozen different staircases going in all directions, especially directions which didn't seem realisticly possible.

DanaTA

Distinguished
I guess 2 artists stand out for me. I'm crazy about Alphonse Mucha's Art Nouveau work, and have a group of his prints. I've also liked M.C. Escher since the first time I saw his Relativity lithograph when I was in High School. I couldn't imagine how anyone could come up with a piece of artwork that had about a dozen different staircases going in all directions, especially directions which didn't seem realisticly possible.

I think I know the one you're talking about, and I love that one! So cool.

Relativity is an appropriate name for it, too. I have told my friend and maybe a couple other people that up is down. To prove my point, point down to the ground. Now, imagine a line drawn along the path your are pointing. That line would extend to the other side of the planet and become pointing up. It's all relative! ;)

Dana

AnimaGemini

Living in the clouds
Contributing Artist
I admire the paintings from John William Waterhouse. He is my absolute fav. old master. The mix of colors, the dynamic,light .Like from another world.
Also my fav ones..William Adolphe Bouguereau. Sir Lawrence Alma Tadema. And Eugine Delacroix.
Leonardo DaVinci I admire for his technic. Till today leading.
Michelangelo goes for me with DaVinci. His artworks show a real artist soul.

Mythocentric

Extraordinary
Arthur Rackham. His art is magical.

My favourite illustrator! I've just bought an ebook of 96 of his finest works spanning his career. Sad to say the illustrations didn't make the transition with the largest one measuring around 2 inches by 1 1/2 inches, so I'm going to have to dig out a real copy of the book! Another illustrator I greatly admire is Patrick Woodroffe who works with similar themes to Rackham and I have a number of his books. Well worth Googling if you are not already familiar with his work! :)

Rowan54

Dragon Queen
Contributing Artist
There are a lot of artists who I admire. Georgia O'Keefe being one that hasn't been mentioned yet.

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
My favorites are Diego Velázquez, John Singer Sargent, Norman Rockwell and D.J Hall.

Why? ...well looking at my paintings, you'll see influences from those four great artists.

Velazquez and Sargent-- I love their brush work. Rockwell and Hall are a masters of capturing real life situations. I actually know DJ, she was a guest teacher during my college days. She helped move me stylistically from my earlier paintings to my later ones.

Last edited:

DanaTA

Distinguished
Norman Rockwell is one of my favorites. I like the "slice of life" style. I try to emulate his style often in my 3D work...not that I've done much lately.

Dana

Hornet3d

Wise
I am afraid I had a very basic education that did not extend to the great masters, art in general or classical music. I occasionally hear a classical piece I like then try to research the composer and more of his work. Add to that big hole in my education was the fact that I when it came to drawing or painting I had five thumbs on each hand. Over the years I have picked up a grasp of computers enough that I can build and repair them. I have become skilled enough in woodwork to build some basic furniture but none of this with any formal training. It was only in 2000 that I fell across 3D art and found a way I could express ideas in my head. The only real artist I have followed is Jim Burns and I have a selection of books from various artists usually based around the art of computer games such as Halo.

It had always been my intention it to study art in more depth once I retired and had more time, happily I retired some six years ago, sadly I have not found the time to do half of what I intended.

DanaTA

Distinguished
I've had no formal training or education in art, either. I figure just about everyone knows Norman Rockwell's art, since it was prominently displayed on popular magazines. And, I think, in some Coca-Cola advertisements. I am aware of some of the classic artists, but couldn't tell you who did what, for the most part. I know Starry Night by Van Gogh. Most famous pieces I couldn't tell you their title or creator. Although, I did pretty good on one of those online tests of art knowledge. Some of it was guessing...a lot was educated guessing...even though I was not educated in that field. I've just always loved art and occasionally tried my hand at some creations.

Dana

Mythocentric

Extraordinary
I am afraid I had a very basic education that did not extend to the great masters, art in general or classical music. I occasionally hear a classical piece I like then try to research the composer and more of his work. Add to that big hole in my education was the fact that I when it came to drawing or painting I had five thumbs on each hand. Over the years I have picked up a grasp of computers enough that I can build and repair them. I have become skilled enough in woodwork to build some basic furniture but none of this with any formal training. It was only in 2000 that I fell across 3D art and found a way I could express ideas in my head. The only real artist I have followed is Jim Burns and I have a selection of books from various artists usually based around the art of computer games such as Halo.

It had always been my intention it to study art in more depth once I retired and had more time, happily I retired some six years ago, sadly I have not found the time to do half of what I intended.

As the Pre-Raphaelites would have it Hornet, their goal is "to emphasise the personal responsibility of individual artists to determine their own ideas and methods of depiction". Basically, what they were saying is that art comes from within yourself not from what you are taught. It holds true for your own work and for what you see in the work of others. Two of the artists I've mentioned, Leonora Carrington and Dorothea Tanning had little or no formal training. Tanning did sign up for art school and just as quickly realised that all she was doing was 'paying tutorial fee's to sit in a stuffy room, draw and be taught to copy the tutor's views at the expense of her own' at which point she rapidly departed. They both elected to trust themselves and soon proved that their instincts were correct. There's an old saying which goes, "I don't know much about art but I know what I like!" One of the oldest cliches in the book and one which also happens to be true. What you know matters far less than what you feel and the way you respond to the work of an artist...any artist! Other peoples opinions are just so much chaff in the wind by comparison. :)

Hornet3d

Wise
As the Pre-Raphaelites would have it Hornet, their goal is "to emphasise the personal responsibility of individual artists to determine their own ideas and methods of depiction". Basically, what they were saying is that art comes from within yourself not from what you are taught. It holds true for your own work and for what you see in the work of others. Two of the artists I've mentioned, Leonora Carrington and Dorothea Tanning had little or no formal training. Tanning did sign up for art school and just as quickly realised that all she was doing was 'paying tutorial fee's to sit in a stuffy room, draw and be taught to copy the tutor's views at the expense of her own' at which point she rapidly departed. They both elected to trust themselves and soon proved that their instincts were correct. There's an old saying which goes, "I don't know much about art but I know what I like!" One of the oldest cliches in the book and one which also happens to be true. What you know matters far less than what you feel and the way you respond to the work of an artist...any artist! Other peoples opinions are just so much chaff in the wind by comparison. :)

Thank you for the information, I am always interested in any artists motivation. I like the attitude you describe very much.