• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Which would be better to purse - rigging or texturing?

Wildlyfe

Inspired
I am at a crossroads. I need to be heading in a direction that has the potential for earning a little money. It seems that there is a need for rigging artists, but I am also drawn to texturing. Modeling is fun too, but I know there are some really cool animal models just waiting to make it thru the next stages and I am thinking I would like to be a part of bringing those to conclusion. I don't have a lot of experience with rigging - only dabbled so far - but I do have a lot of experience working with various non-domestic animals. I am a very detail oriented artist, and realism is important to me. I am pretty sure I could be a decent rigging artist, or texture artist. Does anyone have an opinion on which path is most needed right now?

I am at a crossroads. I need to be heading in a direction that has the potential for earning a little money. It seems that there is a need for rigging artists, but I am also drawn to texturing. Modeling is fun too, but I know there are some really cool animal models just waiting to make it thru the next stages and I am thinking I would like to be a part of bringing those to conclusion. I don't have a lot of experience with rigging - only dabbled so far - but I do have a lot of experience working with various non-domestic animals. I am a very detail oriented artist, and realism is important to me. I am pretty sure I could be a decent rigging artist, or texture artist. Does anyone have an opinion on which path is most needed right now?

I'm surprised no one has answered this until now. I'd go with rigging as there are very few who can do that but a lot of texture artists. I happen to know that Hivewire needs someone to rig their figures... including the Hivewire Small Dog which I've been waiting ages for. :)

Ghostman

Adventurous
Contributing Artist
Yes. Rigging is a good way to go. Can be tedious and annoying sometimes but rewarding when it works as planned. :) Just be prepared that it will take some time to learn it since theres not many tutorials out there that covers the whole field.

Wildlyfe

Inspired
Thanks to all. Rigging is pretty much what I have been thinking. I am working on understanding Rigging in DazStudio first, then maybe Poser or Unity... I will play with the modeling and texturing too, but I think I put the most effort into rigging. I have a lot of tutorials to go thru, and then maybe I can find a mentor.

I also recommend starting with small projects to rig, rather than full biped figures. I've learned a lot by rigging props for Poser. You can also learn a lot by trying to modify the rigging on an existing figure that hasn't already had hundreds of rigging adjustments. For example, I've learned a lot about weight mapping by weight mapping some of Nursoda's figures for my own use (in Poser). If I keep playing with things like this, I might be ready to try rigging a simple toonish biped in a few months :)