• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

When are object files needed?

Faery_Light

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
If you create a character file I know you need the object file for it.
But I was wondering if when you create a prop is the object file still needed?

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE
To sell here, yes. It can not be embedded in the prop.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Yes, I think there's a script, though don't recall who wrote it, or what store it's in, that will strip the geometry out of a prop, so then you would need to include the OBJ.

seachnasaigh

Energetic
If you create a character file I know you need the object file for it.
But I was wondering if when you create a prop is the object file still needed?
Even for freebies, it is good etiquette to have the geometry stripped from a prop and externally referenced by the prop.

One reason is that others can easily make alternative textures for the prop and offer a pre-load prop, without including your geometry. This is especially important if your prop has a muli-piece pre-load setup with parented parts.

Another reason is to accommodate users of other 3D studios who may not be able to load your prop format; nearly any 3D studio can import an OBJ.

There are several small utility programs which will strip the geometry from your prop and re-write your prop file to remotely reference the OBJ.

I usually use Vanishing Point's Geometry Stripper (written by John Hoagland) simply because of habit.
I also have Object Extractor from EvilInnocence. I think I also have geometry strippers by Ralf Sessler among his D3D utilities, and from Phil Cooke.

Willowisp

Adventurous
Another reason to strip the geometry from the prop is that it will save on memory if you have multiple of the same prop in the scene. Instead of loading the same geometry multiple times, all the props will just reference the same obj. At least that's how I understand it.

Faery_Light

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Yes, I have NW Creator's Toybox and it is proving to be a great app,
Guess I need to play with it more, thanks for the tips. :)

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I usually use Vanishing Point's Geometry Stripper (written by John Hoagland) simply because of habit.
YES, that's the one I was thinking of. Once you mentioned John Hoagland I remembered it.

I also have Joe/Netherworks Creator's Toybox, so have that too, though haven't used that particular option as yet, because I'm so used to the Geometry Stripper.

Faery_Light

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
I've got pythons by snarlygribbly, ockham, PhilC and NetherWorks and maybe one other as well.

I used ToyBox earlier to optimize my prop files and it is great.
But it messed up my cr2 sets when I tried it, guess I need to read the instructions again.

sapat

Brilliant
QAV-BEE
I've been a beta tester for 11+ years at different stores and privately. Anything we find with embedded geometry will fail and the vendor will need to fix before it will be accepted for the reasons mentioned above.

Faery_Light

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
I used ToyBox to correct the props and they are much better now.
I also reduced the size of the cr2 using it and it made them smaller to.
The first time I did it wrong and corrupted the cr2, it was invisible after. :)
Thanks for the rwplies. :D