• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

What is the best Poser version ?

CWRW

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Well it is likely to be a personal preference for most folks but I think the latest, Poser 11 is wonderful- I love the option to run either Superfly or the wonderful old Firefly render engines. There are advantages to both, depending on the look one wants to achieve in a render. As someone who creates content there are several things in P11 that also make my job easier. I def. like that:) Also there is an awful lot of fantastic content (ahem....most of the products here at the Hive for one:) that won't work in P7 (and barely P9 these days).

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
Definitely Poser 11. I have used Poser since P7 and I never even open any version lower than 9 as the old versions are completely crippled. You can't even use weight mapped figures below P9 and I don't bother with anything with spherical rigging anymore. I've seen enough Gumby bent joints to last me a lifetime. LOL

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
As a non Poser user but owning Poser 11 Pro I have to say it's ALLOT better in SO many ways compared to older versions!

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I'm surprised anyone would say Poser 7 is the best version of Poser. Is it even available to purchase?!?

The oldest version of Poser I'd ever recommend is Poser Pro 2014, which was the previous version released. For features though, Poser Pro 11 is the way to go.

James R.

Busy Bee
Poser 7 was introduced way back in 2006. :)

Over time Poser has introduced a new features that have made it worthwhile for me to move forward to a new version. Indirect lighting, then subsurface scattering, for example.

The introduction of the Superfly renderer in Poser 11 Pro was enough for me to abandon any previous version of Poser. I haven’t looked back. :D

D

Deleted member 325

While I am using Poser 2012 and 2014 more and more, my favorite is still Poser 7 Pro. I have so many great utilities and scripts for it that do not exist in 2012 or later.

James R.

Busy Bee
While I am using Poser 2012 and 2014 more and more, my favorite is still Poser 7 Pro. I have so many great utilities and scripts for it that do not exist in 2012 or later.

Ah, that’s actually a good point about scripts, KageRyu.

There have been a number of old scripts I’ve had to leave behind because they won’t run on newer versions of Poser. In particular there are scripts by Semidieu I wish worked in Poser 11 Pro. But even if I reinstalled Poser 12 so I could use them, they wouldn’t necessarily translate into usable Superfly materials. (I might give that a try though...)

D

Deleted member 325

Many of Semidieu's come to mind, though he did update many to work in Poser 2012, and few for 2014, none have made it to Poser 11. I find the advanced render settings invaluable, especially since the Zdepth pass built in to poser is, in my opinion, broken because it does not preserve trans-mapping (critical for proper Z-depth involving anything with transmaps). Yet it always worked properly in Advanced Render Settings. Particles is another big one I use a lot. I just wish I could get the Metaform plugin to work in Poser 7... Poser needs Metanurbs for proper emulation of gaseous and liquid effects. Sadly I have given up trying to get it as a feature because far too many who do not fully understand the reach and use of it shout it down.
I will say though, you give me a good particle tool, and metanurbs, and I will give you interactive gas clouds, nebula, water, fire, and any number of other VFX without needing volumetrics. I have been doing it in Lightwave since 1995.

RobhG

Inspired

There have been a number of old scripts I’ve had to leave behind because they won’t run on newer versions of Poser. In particular there are scripts by Semidieu I wish worked in Poser 11 Pro. But even if I reinstalled Poser 12 so I could use them, they wouldn’t necessarily translate into usable Superfly materials. (I might give that a try though...)
I'm sure Poser 7, 2012 or 2014 1 of them will have to use, intend to make animations from 0! What advise?

eclark1894

Visionary
Oddly enough, I'm about evenly split between PP2014 and PP11. I Love Superfly, but but some reason, I just don't like using Firefly in PP11. So I go back to Firefly in 2014.

RobhG

Inspired

I'm thinking of using a blender instead of poser2014.

eclark1894

Visionary
I'm thinking of using a blender instead of poser2014.
For what? Rendering?If you want PBR then yeah, that's the way to go, but first you have to export all your props and figures into Blender. And if you want to reposition the figures you'll have to rig them again, in Blender. And then, of course, you need to re-texture all your figures and props. I'm just not feelin' it myself, although, if there were an easier way to get all of that into Blender and still have the figures move, I'd be leading the charge to leave Poser for Blender.

RobhG

Inspired
For what? Rendering?If you want PBR then yeah, that's the way to go, but first you have to export all your props and figures into Blender. And if you want to reposition the figures you'll have to rig them again, in Blender. And then, of course, you need to re-texture all your figures and props. I'm just not feelin' it myself, although, if there were an easier way to get all of that into Blender and still have the figures move, I'd be leading the charge to leave Poser for Blender.
I will create animations like RWBY, but I do not know which to use, I have seen several software but it gets difficult which one to use, I am between C4D R14, Blender, Poser Pro or DaZ Studio.

Cliff Bowman

Adventurous
In theory the best version of Poser ought to be 12... ;)

But I mostly use whichever is the most recent, as there's usually a bunch of improvements over the previous version.

Semicharm

Eager
Oddly enough, I'm about evenly split between PP2014 and PP11. I Love Superfly, but but some reason, I just don't like using Firefly in PP11. So I go back to Firefly in 2014.
I don't know about PP2014, as the last major version I had before PP11 was P9, but I recently did some cross testing in FF and there were some issues created by the introduction of gamma correction. If I used the exact same render settings, disabling gamma, and used the same shaders I could get them to render identical images. P10/PP2014 added gamma first, so I'm guessing they changed something between 10 and 11.