• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Water in DS?

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
I'm so impressed with the lighting in DS so I'm finally learning it.

I bought Fern Lake by Stonemason yesterday and am having trouble with the water. It comes out looking like mud with dark square patches. Any way to fix this?

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Have you checked the ReadMe to see if he included any hints/tips on how to render it? I don't have the latest version of DS, so don't know what to suggest as far as rendering water goes. I always preferred the way water rendered in Bryce or Vue, as opposed to Poser and DS, but both software apps have improved over the years, so I'm sure one of our regular DS users knows of a way to get it to look good in the latest version of DS.

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
I couldn't find the read me but I moved the water up and it seems to render okay now. Thank you!

esha

Admirable
Contributing Artist
With scenes like this, go to the Environment section in the render settings and switch the ground OFF. If you have a water plane the ground shadows interfere with the way the water is rendered. By switching the ground off you get rid of the shadows without having to move parts of the scene. :cool:

sapat

Brilliant
QAV-BEE
Sometimes when I load big sets, not just his, but many others too, they come in way below the ground level, so I bring them up on the Ytrans enough to show what I need, but not so much it exposes the edges of the set.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I often had a similar issue when I was working in Terragen. I'd set it up for water, and I wouldn't see any of it. Then I'd raise it, and the water would show. I thought it odd, but then Terragen generates the whole scene, so it's not something experienced with a scene created by someone else.

Esha's comment about turning the ground off is a good one. I'm not sure how long it would've taken me to even think of doing that.

sapat

Brilliant
QAV-BEE
I often had a similar issue when I was working in Terragen. I'd set it up for water, and I wouldn't see any of it. Then I'd raise it, and the water would show. I thought it odd, but then Terragen generates the whole scene, so it's not something experienced with a scene created by someone else. Esha's comment about turning the ground off is a good one. I'm not sure how long it would've taken me to even think of doing that.
:)